new Music Hall mmf-5se

Printable View

• 03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
    dean_martin
    new Music Hall mmf-5se
    Anyone seen this new turntable from music hall. It's supposed to have a wood plinth (maybe similar to the discontinued pro-ject wood classic), pro-ject 9.1 tonearm and goldring cart for around $900? Can't find a picture on the web. Any info will be appreciated.
  • 03-31-2004, 07:52 PM
    bturk667
    Its plinth is a walnut veneer. I'm not sure what the material is under the veneer. Personally, I like Pro-Ject tables better than Music Hall. Their made better, and are a better value. Remember, all Music Hall tables are in fact made by Pro-Ject.
  • 04-01-2004, 10:07 AM
    dean_martin
    I picked the Pro-ject 1.2 over the Music Hall 2.1 a couple of years ago after my old Dual died. The Pro-Ject build quality at that price level seemed to be a little better. (I found that Jim Alexander at Sumiko is very accessible and helpful.) Just as I was thinking about stepping up to a Rega P3 or Pro-Ject Wood Classic (I think it's also called the 2.9?), the Wood Classic was discontinued.

Thanks for the response. I did find a picture of the new Music Hall in the most recent Audio Advisor catalog. This issue does not include turntables, but there is one sitting on an advertised equipment rack. No write-up or product description though.
  • 04-01-2004, 08:21 PM
    bturk667
    Just so you know, I own the Rega P3. I believe it to be a steal for $650! It really is a nice sounding table.