Forum Regular

New Cartridge Install Problem

Last night I installed my new AT 440MLa. It was the first time I ever installed a new cartridge, and I didn't have any guidance from an experienced helper. My tracking force is set to 1.7 (1.0-1.8 is the recommended range) and the anti-skate is set to about the same. I played 4 records, and while two played wonderfully, the two others were constantly crackling throughout (very noticeable). Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks for your help guys.

Crackling on two records and not on the other two records sounds like two need to be cleaned. However, did you have detailed instructions to follow in setting the tracking force? Some people seem to miss the first steps of balancing the tone arm to zero and then setting the dial zero.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemarconi@gmail.com
    Last night I installed my new AT 440MLa. It was the first time I ever installed a new cartridge, and I didn't have any guidance from an experienced helper. My tracking force is set to 1.7 (1.0-1.8 is the recommended range) and the anti-skate is set to about the same. I played 4 records, and while two played wonderfully, the two others were constantly crackling throughout (very noticeable). Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks for your help guys.
    Why is your anti-skate set to the same value as your tracking force?

Hey Chubbs...it's a common setup to have anti-skating the same as tracking force. Many turntables have the anti-skating calibrated for that.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You mentioned tracking force but how did you set overhang, offset angle and vertical tracking angle? The stylus used in that cartridge requires careful alignment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    To clarify a bit more:

as far as record care, I clean each side with the carbon fiber brush before each play. additionally, i just started using discwasher solution to clean - i'll eventually make it through my whole collection.

I did level the tonearm before I set the tracking weight.

I admittedly did not pay as much attention to overhang, offset angle and vertical tracking angle - i am not sure if it is 100% correct. This is my first time trying to set one of these things up, so I wasn't too sure about this part.

When I mentioned cleaning, I didn't mean the dusting that can be done with a brush. I'm talking about deep cleaning that sucks grime out of the grooves. Is there anything different about the two records that played noisy versus the two that played quiet?

JM makes a good point that the micro line stylus is unforgiving of improper setup. You won't be able to get good performance without good setup. I have three AT stylii...a conical, an elliptical and a micro line. The micro line sounds the best of the three on the good records and the worst of the three on the bad records.

What kind of turntable is it?

Hey Steve,

What is your Tonearm, if you don't know what is your TT?

Do you have a cartridge mounting guide?
    If not, I may be able to provide based on your TT/tonearm.
    As JM mentioned, you have to align your cartridge instead of just screwing one on.

Do you have a stylus force gauge to acturately measure a vertical tracking force?
    You said 1.7g, but I just want to make sure you didn't just dial in your counterweight that reads "1.7".

Your Anti-skating may be the culprit, but don't worry about it until you have addressed above issues.
    If you can provide more info, we can certainly help.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Forum Regular
    it's an SL-5200. I've gone back and read some online material, and have done my best to set the proper alignment (using the free protractor tool), counter-weight, anti-skate, and tonearm height. I think right now the tone-arm height needs the most refining. Should the stylus tip be completely vertical, or will it always have a slight pitch.

The sound quality problem only seems to crop its head on select LPs - my newer and better-conditioned LPs seem to have little problem. I am thinking that a major factor of the sound quality may simply be the quality of vinyl. Which is unfortunate, as I like to buy bargain stuff.

Also to clarify, I have historically used the carbon-fiber brush before every play, but now I clean each record with the wet discwasher solution once.

How do you remove the cleaning solution? I've had to wet-clean a select few records as many as three times to get them clean.

The best visual reference for tracking angle is probably the top of the cartridge body, rather than the stylus itself. Is it level? If you can't tell, set an index card vertically on the platter and use the lines as a reference.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemarconi@gmail.com
    it's an SL-5200. I've gone back and read some online material, and have done my best to set the proper alignment (using the free protractor tool), counter-weight, anti-skate, and tonearm height. I think right now the tone-arm height needs the most refining. Should the stylus tip be completely vertical, or will it always have a slight pitch.

The sound quality problem only seems to crop its head on select LPs - my newer and better-conditioned LPs seem to have little problem. I am thinking that a major factor of the sound quality may simply be the quality of vinyl. Which is unfortunate, as I like to buy bargain stuff.

Also to clarify, I have historically used the carbon-fiber brush before every play, but now I clean each record with the wet discwasher solution once.
    If your records are super dirty, make sure you are getting in the grooves when you wipe them down with solution. Follow the grooves as you wipe rather than just wildly wiping or wiping against the grain. Using the right wipe, in combination with solution should get all the dirt out if you're wiping correctly. A little tough love ala elbows never hurt either, scrub a dub!! Hopefully, dirty LP's is your only problem...easily solved.

Thread Information