Forum Regular

Anyone with Systemdek IIX Knowledge....

Hi there,

I've just taken delivery of one of these wee beasties from a certain auctions site. I've found a couple of screw/bolt holes I'm unfamiliar with (see picture, bolts circled) Are these transit bolts or something more delicate??

Also, it has come with a EEI 700 Parabolic Cartridge...What are your thoughts on these as I'm a relative newbie and all I can come up with is that it may be a Townshend??

One final one, are there any good '1 stop' shops out there for setting up a turntable such as this?

Any responses greatly appreciated,

Chris.

Forum Regular
    You have yourself a real gem there if it's in proper working order. The screws on top are for adjusting the suspension.

I would advise you to do a little online research for this table. There are many sites for setting up any table really. Just google it.

If you don't have a mat...I would recommend getting one.

Once it is properly setup...and the cartridge/needle is good( I am not familiar with yours)...you will be in sonic heaven. That table will compete with tables costing much more.

Cheers,
    BT

AR Newbie Registered Member

Re; Systemdek IIX

You defiinately have yourself a nice analogue front end now. Hopefully your new (old) IIX is in as good a shape as it appears to be. It also looks as though you have one of the standard Profile tonearms that came with the IIX. The major difference between these two arms was that the Profile I had a removable headshell (very convenient for changing phono cartridges) while the later arm did not. By the way, these two arms were made by the Japanese OEM company Jelco.

I purchased my IIX a few years back and have been thoroughly enjoying it. The IIX is a well built table that matches up nicely with a variety of tonearms and cartridges. A favorite upgrade for this turntable is the addition of a Rega RB300 tonearm. However, the standard arm is quite good to begin with, and better than Rega proponents would have many of us believe.

Upgraditis is unfornately part of the hi-fi beast for many.

The key with the Profile arm is make sure that it does not have too much play in its bearing, since this will have an adverse affect on its tracking ability.

I use a Sumiko Blue Point Special with my IIX and it sounds great. The only things I did with the table upon its arrival were to remove the old bearing grease and use SAE 90 weight motor oil to relube it, using electronic lubricant on the Systemdek's motor, and to readjust the suspension (which it was in dire need of).

The best way in which to do this is to open the bottom of the table and then spin the three allen screws all the way to the bottom -- right to their stops. Then close the table up and with an appropriately sized allen wrench turn each screw an equal number of rotations (say three for each while keeping an eye on the level of the turntable platter). You should then be able to adjust the turntable platter to make it perfectly even this way.

From what I have read the IIX appears to be the best sounding of Systemdek's line of turntables, and has become a cult classic for audiophiles on a budget -- or just those who think that it is ridiculous to spend thousands more for only subtle improvements over what the IIX is capable of. It really is a great sounding deck.

If you get a chance take a trip by my Website to take a look at my Systemdek and some of my other gear.

Enjoy the music!

Jimmyblues

http://jimmyblues.angelfire.com/page1.html

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You'll also be happy to know that Audio Note continues to sell the IIX turntable under their own name. They bought the rights to systemdek and they sell parts upgrades and have several relatively current reviews - and that deck was not too long ago considered the best deck in its price range in Britain http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/...003_an_tt1.pdf

This review explains the SystemDek TT1 differences and possibly how you would take it up to the next level if you so choose http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...udiophile4.htm

And this is a third article on a DIYer http://www.mostlyaudio.com/TT2Review.html This one explains the screws with diagrams which should help you

The first two upgrades would be to get the acrylic platter (no mats) and an Arm1 from Audio Note which is a reworked Rega 250 with better wiring. AN prefers the 250 to the 300 on that deck - they used both. Also recommended is a Technoweight for the Rega arm. The IQ1 cartridge is also a good one to get because it is the same cartridge body but can be later upgraded to the much superior IQ3 stylus

I have purchased the TT2 which is also based on the SystemDek platform but the backlog is huge and they can't keep up with orders. Thus I will be waiting over a year before I take delivery.

I too have a Systemdek IIX which I was lucky to pick up for a fraction of it's true worth. Mine was sporting a Moth badged RB250 and had the stock glass platter and lambs wool mat. I have owned a number of turntables in the past and many years ago I had a Linn LP12 with Grace 707 and Supex 900 which was high end in the late 70's. The Systemdek even in its basic form is a giant killer giving away only a fraction of performance to the current offerings in the £750- £1,000 range. I was so impressed with the turntable that I set out raising it's performance. It goes without saying that the bearing on all turntables need careful maintenance. Any deterioration here and the performance will suffer drastically, regardless how much money you throw at upgrades. The bearing on mine was well preserved but the oil was in desperate need of changing. I cleaned the bearing with isopropyl and filled the reservoir with some molyslip oil and the difference i performance was significant. It was more what I couldn't hear than what I could. The surface noise on most recordings reduced and on very clean pressings the silence was inky black allow more of the subtleties of the recording to come out. Well there must be more that can be done I thought to myself. The latest incarnation TT1 from Audio Note sported an acrylic platter. Well if it is good enough for AN, it was worth fitting one to the IIX. At £120 + postage this was an audio bargain. Fitting was a bit of a pain as the Q Control of Dunlop before AN bought the design was not great. The spindle dia varies slightly so according to AN some light sanding is sometimes needed to allow the acrylic platter to mate with the Dunlop spindle. Mine needed only light sanding and once installed it looked great. The acrylic platter allowed the soundstage to grow both in height and width and the bass was tighter and there was an extra sense of timbre. High hats had that extra sparkle and extension. The arm also received some attention with the addition of the Michell technoweight. Because the arm and platter were added at the same time I can't comment on what change caused what, but I'm, sure they both share equal praise for the end result. I now thought my Systemdek sounded at a level comparable with the LP12 having listened to the current offering at a recent hifi show. How could I improve on this further well I had heard that going DC with Origin Live was light night and day. I am a skeptic and very cynical about many claims I read. Well I took the plunge and went for the Advanced version of the OL DC Motor with a DC100. The base plate of the T/T was discarded as no dangerous Ac feed is within the T/T and I decided to remove everything the Ac motor relied on even the switch which is now covered with the OL metal plate. It’s slightly fiddly to fit the motor as it rides lower on the sub-platter. The plastic pulley needs to be raised on the motor shaft and a platter weight helps to bring the path of the belt to the mid point on the sub platter. Was it worth it, yes? It has been years since I have listened to a recording that has made the hairs on my neck stand up. Talk about jaw dropping and goose pimples. I don't put this entirely down to the DC motor but the investment in the other mods as well which have been allowed to unleash their hidden capability. What are left, well Audio Origami mods to the RB250 are next in line and some damping to the inside of the T/T base. I listened to a friend’s £7K Nottingham Anna log and to my humble ears the Systemdek gave the same pleasure and more.

Last edited by Singlemania; 04-25-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Hello,
    Your cartridge is a Townshend moving magnet, the makers of the Rock turntable. It is a very good cartridge.

My son has one which came with a Garrard 301/SME deck. It is the only the only one of his cartridges which properly reveals a triangle in a particular passage of music.

He has several cartrdiges both MM & MC including Nagaoka MP30, Ortofon VMS30 mkII, etc. and no matter how often he realigns them they never reveal the triangle properly. However, he feels that it is too neutral and does not have enough passion. This translates to me as ''it is a real hi-fi cartridge.''

Good luck with your deck!

Jim

Yes i own one. The three bolts R for adjusting the level of the platter. Ajdust all 3 at 1/8 an inch with the platter on....

Thread Information