Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need ultimate TT advice

Yes, I'm look for the ultimate TT; my ultimate TT, that is.

My old linear tracking Realistic, (model number is POS, I believe), has audible flutter most of the time, so it's useless. What I want to do is record my whole vinyl collection to computer files, but the Realistic won't do it unfortunately.

What I'd like to do is get a used, eBay-special, good enough to play my LPs to a minimal standard for recording, then sell it. Any advice on TTs of this calibre?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I know it's a cliche, but allow me to redirect -- if you're willing to invest a little more, you can get an excellent turntable with very little depreciation. Would that be something you're interested in? VPI. The Scout is excellent, you should be able to get it for reasonable and sell it for the same.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

When I first saw this thread I got excited, then I was dissapointed

I agree with Dusty 100%. VPI Scout comes and goes in Agon like every 5 hours. You shouldn't lose any of your initial investment, assuming you'll sell it within a couple of months.

I think the biggest problem for your is that you live in Ontario. But you should be able to find a seller within your area. Their is no reason for you to spend all of your time recording with a inferior setup. Are you aftraid that you might end up keeping it

VPI Scout is the only way to go. That table just does not depreciate as a used TT.

-JRA

VPI Scout: hmmm ...

Dusty, Hiro,

Good advice, no doubt. The VPI Scout has a great rep. I'll watch for one eBay and the 'Gon. However it's probably too much outlay for me, even on a short term basis.

Rega P1? Music Hall MMF-2? Clearaudio Emotion?

You may want to search on these, as well, as they may lead to the competition.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hey Bill,

I think MusicHall MMF-5 can be had for about $400 on Agon. I wouldnt pay more than $450 with a Goldring1012 cartridge. That might be the best option for less.
    I think Clearaudio Emotion is hard to get it used. I've been trying to find one for under $700 used, but no luck. For that, it's more than what Feanor would want to pay.
    The best alternative option might be for you to get a used Debut III or http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1169024430
    with a heavy emphasis on a cartridge. As long as you wont go for somem like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...2&category=358
    you should be okay.
    -JRA

I think I can ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Bill,

I think MusicHall MMF-5 can be had for about $400 on Agon. I wouldnt pay more than $450 with a Goldring1012 cartridge. That might be the best option for less.
    I think Clearaudio Emotion is hard to get it used. I've been trying to find one for under $700 used, but no luck. For that, it's more than what Feanor would want to pay.
    The best alternative option might be for you to get a used Debut III or http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1169024430
    with a heavy emphasis on a cartridge. As long as you wont go for somem like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...2&category=358
    you should be okay.
    -JRA
    The Needle Doctor's offering that is.

The MMF-2 looks good but the seller says ship to US only, a standard A'gon condition. I might email him because often sellers will change their minds on that point if you assure them you will pay actual shipping, brokerage, duties, and taxes. I have sold a lot of stuff into the US and my buyers so far have never been hit with these charges, however, coming the other way Canadian residents are always hit with them.

With a good enough TT you might find that playing vinyl instead of recording it sounds better. Having tried the conversion to CD on several of my best LP's I've concluded that vinyl on the old TT still sounds better.
    What I'm saying is, with a good enough TT you might want to keep it and expand your vinyl collection.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

there is a tt which has (believe it or not) a usb port, which means that you can directly connect it to your pc, i believe it's brand was Numark, yes, it was numark.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

oo, found it, just go to www.numark.com , all of their tt's seem to have at least a digital output.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Yeah, that's pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    oo, found it, just go to www.numark.com , all of their tt's seem to have at least a digital output.
    However I've got a phono preamp that I can connect to my M-Audio Audiophile USB, so any old TT will do.

Joe, No-ooo!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    With a good enough TT you might find that playing vinyl instead of recording it sounds better. Having tried the conversion to CD on several of my best LP's I've concluded that vinyl on the old TT still sounds better.
    What I'm saying is, with a good enough TT you might want to keep it and expand your vinyl collection.
    The last thing I want is to get into vinyl. Gads! I've got enough to fussy and worry about with digital. Heaven forbid that I get interested in the former: what I'm trying to do is get rid of it once and for all. (LPs: die, die, die ...)

Get thee behind me, Satan!!!

Mutant from table 9
    I'm going to vote for a new Music Hall MMF 2.1. audioadvisor.com ships worldwide. http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=78
    I had an extended listening session with the MMF 2.1 (ferrari red model) through an Arcam integrated and Paradigm Studio 20's. It was a surprisingly refined table. I have been very pleased with my Music Hall. They really do excell in the bang for buck catagory.

I vote for new because used can be dicey, especially on the Ebay. I have no experience with Audiogon. You really can't go wrong with the 2.1. Also, even money says you end up keeping it if you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The last thing I want is to get into vinyl. Gads! I've got enough to fussy and worry about with digital. Heaven forbid that I get interested in the former: what I'm trying to do is get rid of it once and for all. (LPs: die, die, die ...)

Get thee behind me, Satan!!!
    Oh. Well, in that case, I have a simple solution -- send them to me, and I will do it for you.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Damn it Dusty, I was going to ask if I could drive up there and pick'em up myself. I forgive you though.

Seriously, what are you going to do with them? Whatchu got Bill.

JRA

Well, he doesn't really know me from Adam, so I wouldn't blame him if he picked someone else that he knew.

And/or closer. I'm 10 hours from him, one way. Actually, that's not that bad. Too bad I already have plans for Thanksgiving weekend, driving to Iowa.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I do~~nt kn~ow~~ I still think Feanor is afraid he's going to love records he hates so much.

No, no, not going to happen!!

I do~~nt kn~ow~~ I still think Feanor is afraid he's going to love records he hates so much.
    Actually my LP collection is pretty small; I guess 200 or so. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with them, but I'll get rid of most of them somehow.

No, no, not going to happen!!
    But you havent given it another chance in say.........how long? I'm sorry. I hope I'm not sounding like I'm trying to force anything on you.

JRA

i'd keep the records, in case your digital experience would fail,

if you don't keep them, i'm a volunteer, send them!
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

I don't expect digital to "fail"

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    i'd keep the records, in case your digital experience would fail,

if you don't keep them, i'm a volunteer, send them!
    I had some discussion with jrhymeammo around a one-time AR member's, (rb122), findings that vinyl recorded to CD was virtually indistinguishable from former on playback, i.e. the issue isn't with the digital medium.

Of course, if I used a better TT+ cartridge+ phono preamp, I'd get better results, but that's an up-front issue. Assuming I'm happy with the sound of what I use, I won't keep the vinyl because:
    • I can flog the LPs for a few bucks, and
    • I can backup to DVDs using a lot less space than keeping the LPs.

The suggestion of getting something used is a good one. Using it for a few months isn't really going to change the value of it so whatever you pay you will get back if you just plan on using it and getting rid of it when you're through. Maybe you're out the price of putting a new stylus on it to make sure you get good results, but the bigger cost of the table would be a wash...except that the cash would be out of your pocket for a time while you get things done. But something new and figure on getting closer to half your money back.

Exactly my thinking

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    The suggestion of getting something used is a good one. Using it for a few months isn't really going to change the value of it so whatever you pay you will get back if you just plan on using it and getting rid of it when you're through. Maybe you're out the price of putting a new stylus on it to make sure you get good results, but the bigger cost of the table would be a wash...except that the cash would be out of your pocket for a time while you get things done. But something new and figure on getting closer to half your money back.
    Used is the only way I'd go for exactly the reasons you state.

Furthermove I want to keep my outlay on the low side even though I hope to get most of it back.

Hello Bill,

I was wondering if you know anyone in say Detriot MI or Buffalo NY. Alot of Agon sellers dont care to send packages to other locations. Maybe our fellow member emorphine in Rochester(2hours?) can help you out. You can always drive across to his place and pickit up. I've bought some geaers and music from north of the border and was never charged for it. That's BullS man.

I think alot of Canadians have PO boxes setup in a US city close by just for that purpose. I think it's kinda shaddy, but bringing back minor goods shouldnt be a problem.

or...emorphine can let you borough his P2 for a couple of weeks. He's also has a DL110 and I imagine that deck sounds pretty darn good.

I guess you never found that post from rb122. I haevnt either, I dont think he ever went into a detail on his procedure. This is also something I really want to do, but really dont want to introduce PC into the mix. I need to find the best way to burn LP onto CD-Rs by using a non-PC based stand alone CD burner.
    Our member, nobody, uses a regular burner. I had to erase his message, to make room, so I dont have the procedure, but I believe he had to manually push a button to separate tracks.

Hey nobody, is there a some kind of passive head-jack to monitor what;s being played? I dont like to just guess if the tracks have changed or not, just by looking at stylus and where it's being played.

regards,

JRA

Thanks for your suggestions, JRA

Hello Bill,

I was wondering if you know anyone in say Detriot MI or Buffalo NY. Alot of Agon sellers dont care to send packages to other locations. ...

I think alot of Canadians have PO boxes setup in a US city close by just for that purpose. I think it's kinda shaddy, but bringing back minor goods shouldnt be a problem.

I guess you never found that post from rb122. I haevnt either, I dont think he ever went into a detail on his procedure. This is also something I really want to do, but really dont want to introduce PC into the mix. I need to find the best way to burn LP onto CD-Rs by using a non-PC based stand alone CD burner.

JRA
    The majority of A'gon listers will ship to Canada if you ask them nicely in the way I mentioned. (Of course, there are a few are so rude that they won't even respond to your question.)

Southern Ontario, where I live is a fairly big market in itself; if you're patient you can find most of what you need around here. I'm watching a couple of TTs on eBay that are within 60 miles that I might pick up in person.

No, I never did find rb122's post; could be it's no longer online. However I am certain that he used a dedicated CD recorder, not a computer process. For my part I will use the computer because I mostly playback nowadays from iTunes via my M-Audio USB soundcard. In any case I don't have a CD recorder other than my computer drive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information