Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Cartridge demag for free

This is a great tip for all the analog fans out there. JRA you need to try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TkJ_wwkbNA
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    How often would one need to demag John?

Hopefully one would not demag John. I have decided that twice a month would be good for the amount of vinyl I play.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

John, I have been furiously reading about this online. I haven't tried it yet. I want to do it when I'm able to try and take the time to do a small test.

I was looking at SoundMindAudio's other vids. Did you watch the one where he demags a record?!? I thought he was just cleaning it at first. C'mon....no way there's any value there...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    John, I have been furiously reading about this online. I haven't tried it yet. I want to do it when I'm able to try and take the time to do a small test.

I was looking at SoundMindAudio's other vids. Did you watch the one where he demags a record?!? I thought he was just cleaning it at first. C'mon....no way there's any value there...
    Demag a record I could understand. Demag a CD? Come on, it is optical. And when is the last time you saw a CD stick to a piece of metal or give you a static shock?

nightflier
    Well AA, Poppa, JM, did the demag work? Did it sound better?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Well AA, Poppa, JM, did the demag work? Did it sound better?
    Haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Demag a record I could understand.
    Adam, narrow it right down to "demag a record". As in demagnetize. As in demagnetize a chunk of vinyl. I have moderate education in composites and plastics, I can assure you, vinyl has no magnetic properties. Therefore, why would we need to demagnetize something that is unable to be affected by a field. The magnetic field of a cartridge certainly can't be enough to effect the vinyl, I just can't see it.

Personally, I kinda thought that guy in John's vid link looked a little bit on the "Koresh" side of things. Well Adam, John....clearly you guys have come under this guys charismatic charms, and now feel the compulsive urge to demag. I won't drink the Kool-Aid damnit!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Adam, narrow it right down to "demag a record". As in demagnetize. As in demagnetize a chunk of vinyl. I have moderate education in composites and plastics, I can assure you, vinyl has no magnetic properties. Therefore, why would we need to demagnetize something that is unable to be affected by a field. The magnetic field of a cartridge certainly can't be enough to effect the vinyl, I just can't see it.

Personally, I kinda thought that guy in John's vid link looked a little bit on the "Koresh" side of things. Well Adam, John....clearly you guys have come under this guys charismatic charms, and now feel the compulsive urge to demag. I won't drink the Kool-Aid damnit!!

I might have been confusing demag and static. Been in meetings today. But on the plus side the vB upgrade is looking like it will come sooner than later.

Should ad functionality, and speed up things. As well spam issues were talked about either before the upgrade or after. Either way, hopefully in by the end of the year at least. But don't hold me to it.

In my system the demag worked. More focus and clarity. This was the first time I dmagged the Benz. I have played the Cardas record that is supposed to do the same thing but I heard more improvement with the method in the video. I will do this again and report back if there is as much improvement after the second demag. The cartridge has been in and out of a tonearm over two years now so the improvement might have been more obious than it will be after just two weeks.

Hey it is free, easy and sounds like it works so I will continue to do it. Hopefully others will try it and report back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

copy that John, preparing to engage demag mode. Demag mode engaged...

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

it doesnt make snese to me either BUT....

if i were to try the talisman and it made an audible improvement, i might just be tempted to buy depending on price. LPs, CDs, whatever. results are more important to me than explanations.

remember the green ink on CDs? cd stoplight. well i tried a different green ink (marks-a-lot) just wondering. on the ry cooder 'jazz' cd it extended both highs ans lows AND the volume seemed to be higher.

THEN i took identical sheffield harry james discs and greened one, and left the other alone. the greened one sounded consistently better. so i sent them home with a friend for him to try in an extended listening test. he agreed and also stated that his wife picked the green one 100% of the time blindly.

so, skeptical i am about the magnetism thing with plastic, if it worked (and the dealer had a money back guarantee) and the price was reasonable, i would go for it.

i didnt go with greening of the CDs because its such a pain to do and if you go with the commercial product (cd stoplight) it could be costly over the long run.

along the same lines, i wont be buying the better sounding 45rpm/2 LP sets of blue notes etc because i think hopping up every 20 minutes is acceptable, not every 10 minutes to change sides.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    remember the green ink on CDs? cd stoplight. well i tried a different green ink (marks-a-lot) just wondering. on the ry cooder 'jazz' cd it extended both highs ans lows AND the volume seemed to be higher.
    The idea is to eliminate reflections from the laser that can alter the data stream. I use the Marigo mat which happens to be flat black on one side and green on the other. It has a similar effect and all you do is place it atop the CD as you place it in the drawer.

rw

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

the green ink has ALWAYS seemed logical to me

hi ralph,

the mix of the colors green and red yields BLACK. pretty hard to reflect or refract. the demagging of plastic doesnt click to me yet but i would like to see for myself if it works or not.

i have been ridiculed for the green thing but that doesnt bother me a whit.
    ...regards...tr

John John,

How did I miss this thread? I will try it out on my Lyra Clavis and report back.
    I don't think the Lyra has been demaged in almost 20 years. But it's already a superb sounding cart... Thanks for sharing.

JRA

I just tried it with:

I attempted to "demag" for 60 secs

The midrange and upper mids sounds more fluid (slightly), but it defintely sounds more open. Since the sound is more open, it fools me to think I'd gained dynamics.
    I can't tell if low and high frequecy was affected at all. As expected, the coloration did not change.

If someone had "demagged" my cartridge without me knowing, I don't think I would've noticed the difference.
    I think I'll wait 6 months or so and see if I'll notice a difference.

Thanks for the info John. If it actually made a difference then I'm all for it. But I'll just enjoy my music for now.

Have Fun.
    JRA

nightflier
    This may be a stupid question, but I'm not an expert on magentism and electrical currents, but could this demag cause any damage?

On the Marigo mat issue, if it is so effective, why haven't any CD player manufacturers addressed this in their players? Or better yet, why not include it? Surely a $2K player can include a $30 disk in the box, no?

It always baffles me that the most inexpensive tweaks like the demag one discussed here, isn't incorporated in products. If it does work, and there are no harmful effects, then why not add a little button that does this on the back of the TT, for example? After all, aren't marketing departments always trying to sell on new features? So either the industry isn't accepting the tweaks as effective, or they see them somehow as a threat. So which is it?

So either the industry isn't accepting the tweaks as effective, or they see them somehow as a threat. So which is it?
    Flier if there is any level of corporate awareness about the demag, they wouldn't want you to improve your cart's sound/performance in place of potentially buying a new stylus/cart. My nickel less three pennies.

On the Marigo mat issue, if it is so effective, why haven't any CD player manufacturers addressed this in their players? Or better yet, why not include it? Surely a $2K player can include a $30 disk in the box, no?
    Actually, the inverted stable platter turntable designs do minimize the effect because there is already a matte background "above" the CD label. Given that most folks listen to MP3s, why bother even with an expensive CD player, right?

rw

nightflier
    Well I'm still in the market for a good CD player, so what kind of disk platter should I be looking for?

Well I'm still in the market for a good CD player, so what kind of disk platter should I be looking for?
    My current thinking was voiced by Frank Van Alstine some time ago. Buy a good DAC and worry less about the transport. As a mechanical device, it will likely die first. Any of the older Pioneer Elite models have the "stable platter" design. I have a PD-54 which still works quite well. instead of a skeletal tray, you find a complete mini turntable platter.

What you do is place the CD upside down on the platter as the laser is from above and doesn't shine through the assembly. I added Dynamat to the underside of the tray to minimize vibration and resonances.

Or, you can simply buy a Marigo mat!

rw

nightflier
    Thanks.

Thread Information