Forum Regular

think i need a new stylus or cartridge

I'm new to this whole topic as i grew up in the tape/cd era. so bear with me

I think I've finally learned how to properly set my turntable up. and there's a decent amount of background static (clicks/pops/etc). nothing incredibly loud or anything, but it's noticeable. so I'm thinking maybe this means i need a new cartridge or stylus? can you buy them separate?
    this turntable is an onkyo cp-1022a and the cartridge says ac lxm 100. he says it's probably the original cartridge from when he bought the table in 1980.

A stylus isn't generally going to hold up well after 30 years. You're better off with a new one. Assuming you mean you have the ADC XLM 100, you could perhaps find a replacement here:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/ADC_c_24991.html

But besides that, cartridges are mostly interchangeable, with a few exceptions here and there. You can get something else besides the ADC replacement.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Oh man, replace that cartridge all together. Chances are the excess noise is from poor alignment. Are you using a geometric tool to properly align your cartridge?

Get yourself an Ortofon 2M Red and thank me some other time. You are an excellent candidate for experiencing firsthand the advances in analog technology.

Forum Regular
    it is an ADC, but no, it's LXM, not XLM. I couldn't find anything online about that, and it's weird that they'd have both. wonder if it was a run or misprints or a string of knockoffs...

is my cartridge most likely fine, and just a new stylus is in order it sounds like? are there cheaper alternatives to what you linked? i don't have enough records nor listen to them nearly enough to justify upwards of $70-80 bucks. maybe ebay?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Oh man, replace that cartridge all together. Chances are the excess noise is from poor alignment. Are you using a geometric tool to properly align your cartridge?

Get yourself an Ortofon 2M Red and thank me some other time. You are an excellent candidate for experiencing firsthand the advances in analog technology.
    actually i didn't align the cartridge at all. was kind of hoping my dad already had it properly aligned.

do i have a better chance of picking up a whole turntable with decent cartridge in it off of craigslist for a better price than just a new cartridge/stylus?

Buying a turntable with a cartridge on it isn't a good solution. You'd have no real idea of the condition of the stylus on it. It could be worse off than yours. A stylus on eBay is likely to have the same doubt. I'd say have a look at sites like this and see what you can fit in your budget.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/products.php?cat=90

http://www.garage-a-records.com/products.php?cat=93

The AT95E would save you a little and would still be quite good.

Forum Regular
    $45 certainly isn't too bad. how long are these expected to last for? if it's something that has to be replaced often, I'm not quite sure I want to get into the world of vinyl. but if it'll last me for years, then $45 would be a pretty reasonable purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by cgibsong002
    $45 certainly isn't too bad. how long are these expected to last for? if it's something that has to be replaced often, I'm not quite sure I want to get into the world of vinyl. but if it'll last me for years, then $45 would be a pretty reasonable purchase.
    If you keep your records clean, estimates on cartridge life run into the hundreds of hours. Suppose you ran it an hour a day for 2 years...you'd be at 730 hours, which would be acceptable for most cartridges.

Thread Information