Forum Regular

Mono cartridge value

I have a lot of mono albums,and wonder if it is worth it to get a mono cartridge.What are the advantages? I have heard that scratches are less of a problem and fidelity may be better. Is that all? I have a Dual 1229 with a mono /stereo headshell and can sum the connections to get mono sound,already. I currently have an AT95e stereo cartridge.Would I be better off just upgrading my stereo cartridge? Also, has anyone heard the Jeff Beck ,Truth lp from Sundazed, in mono?

I use a 1.0 mil stereo stylus on my mono records, with the mono switch on. This has been much better than an elliptical stylus for me. I've tried a wide range...1.0 mil, 0.7 mil, elliptical, fine line, Shibata, etc.

Take a look at the explanation at the KAB Audio website. They actually recommend what you're doing...using a stereo stylus and combining the channels...but the larger stylus is quieter in this situation. I've settled on the Ortofon Pro S stylus and it's what I'm happy with.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your expertise. Some of you audioreview people are like going to the mountaintop.

I'd be very interested to hear the results of whatever you go with. I'm developing a bit of an unused stylus collection, but at least these things have been fairly cheap. The Pro S stylus was only $20. Best of luck with it.

Forum Regular

Rodger

I'll have to get the adaptor and cartridge,for about $45,with 2 styli, with February's money.I'll report back.

Forum Regular

Ready,but

I'm ready to spend,but have noticed this cartridge's tracking force is 3-5 g. as opposed to the normal 1.5 g.. Won't this wear out records much faster, or will the larger tip make up for it?

I really don't see 3 grams as a problem, if the stylus isn't worn. 1.5 grams isn't necessarily normal. This mono cartridge goes as high as 4.0 grams...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL...2&category=369

Being played with a good stylus is what records are made to do. I've never worn out a record, as far as I know.

Forum Regular
    Musicians Friend has a $59 free shipping plus 10% off most expensive item. I'm going for the cartridge($41.99) and some cheap mic. stands.

Hmm...I might need to look into that, too. I need a 1/2-inch version. My current Pro S is on a P-mount.

Thread Information