Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Noob, you can't see it, but there's a tear in my eye. Frenchie and I will keep the Music Hall flag flying.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I've been crying, too. I thought long and hard about how to have a good use for the MMF-5 and just couldn't come up with anything. The little guy needed somewhere to get some real action.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I've been crying, too. I thought long and hard about how to have a good use for the MMF-5 and just couldn't come up with anything. The little guy needed somewhere to get some real action.
    On a positive note, where will the money go? I'm thinking Goldring LOMC...

I have a new friend Frank who would like to have some of it.

http://groovetracer.com/

So which upgrade?

The subplatter looks like the most bang for your buck.

Hmmmm, I think you should stick with the Goldring. The Rega is still new to you, whereas the Goldring has been sought after for some time. Down the road, once the Rega starts to sound bland, spice it up with the subplatter.

She would have loved to take up space in the guest room with the nice looking vintage receiver you have in there....
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hmmmm, I think you should stick with the Goldring. The Rega is still new to you, whereas the Goldring has been sought after for some time. Down the road, once the Rega starts to sound bland, spice it up with the subplatter.
    You think it will start to sound bland down the road???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frank was able to ship one right out to me...

Looks good! How does the sub-plater add to more fidelity? Is it because of the mass?

For one thing, it improves the accuracy. I timed it for 3 minutes and it spun a dead-on 100 turns. Also, it spins smoother. The sound is just a bit clearer...sounds a little more detailed. It's a subtle difference, but I'm happy with it.

but I'm happy with it.
    And thats the bottom line...

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    You think it will start to sound bland down the road???
    I just meant his ears becoming attuned, you get bored.

is that available for all models?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    is that available for all models?
    Almost. The P7 and P9 already have something even better.

Nekkid speaker for frenchmon...

Nekkid speaker for frenchmon...

Never heard of them but they sure are nice looking...I wonder how they sound. Are they your speakers? I see you Focal's.

Never heard of them but they sure are nice looking...I wonder how they sound. Are they your speakers? I see you Focal's.
    Yes...they're mine. The Focal speakers are on the Marantz receiver. The ProAc are on the Audio Research amp.

ProAc seem to be most famous for their Response 1SC, which is a little 2-way that has been replaced by a model (Response D1) that is not quite as highly regarded. It uses different drivers than the 1SC. In these floorstanders, called the Response Tri-Tower, the top two drivers are reportedly the same as the 1SC and are in their own chamber. Below that are three small woofers. There's a port in the bottom. I got these from an Audiogon seller and have been very happy with them. They can sometimes sound just a tad light on the bass, but I knew that going in.

For one thing, it improves the accuracy. I timed it for 3 minutes and it spun a dead-on 100 turns. Also, it spins smoother. The sound is just a bit clearer...sounds a little more detailed. It's a subtle difference, but I'm happy with it.

Sounds like it would have the same effect as a speed box.

Yes...they're mine. The Focal speakers are on the Marantz receiver. The ProAc are on the Audio Research amp.

ProAc seem to be most famous for their Response 1SC, which is a little 2-way that has been replaced by a model (Response D1) that is not quite as highly regarded. It uses different drivers than the 1SC. In these floorstanders, called the Response Tri-Tower, the top two drivers are reportedly the same as the 1SC and are in their own chamber. Below that are three small woofers. There's a port in the bottom. I got these from an Audiogon seller and have been very happy with them. They can sometimes sound just a tad light on the bass, but I knew that going in.
    Does ProAc make their own drivers?

Does ProAc make their own drivers?
    No...they're ScanSpeak, SEAS and Vifa, as far as I know.

Sounds like it would have the same effect as a speed box.
    Although I haven't spent any time with a Speed Box, I like the concept of the machined subplatter better. The reason for that is that the molded phenolic subplatter is supposedly often out-of-round and of inaccurate diameter. The machined subplatter would presumably solve that. What the Speed Box can do is apparently continuously check and correct the motor speed. However, that would correct only the pulley speed, not anything that happens after that. If the subplatter is truly inaccurate, wow would remain.

I printed out a strobe disc at the Vinyl Engine site and tried it out on the Rega. Not only does the record turn the right number of times over an extended period of time, the bars on the strobe disc never waver. My gut tells me the machined subplatter is the best upgrade you can put on one of these turntables, other than a tonearm.

No...they're ScanSpeak, SEAS and Vifa, as far as I know.
    Wow...some of the best of the best.

Although I haven't spent any time with a Speed Box, I like the concept of the machined subplatter better. The reason for that is that the molded phenolic subplatter is supposedly often out-of-round and of inaccurate diameter. The machined subplatter would presumably solve that. What the Speed Box can do is apparently continuously check and correct the motor speed. However, that would correct only the pulley speed, not anything that happens after that. If the subplatter is truly inaccurate, wow would remain.

I printed out a strobe disc at the Vinyl Engine site and tried it out on the Rega. Not only does the record turn the right number of times over an extended period of time, the bars on the strobe disc never waver. My gut tells me the machined subplatter is the best upgrade you can put on one of these turntables, other than a tonearm.
    Do they make a after market sub platter for pro-ject? I also printed out a strobe disc at VE Can I use a flash light or do I need some sort of florescent light?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information