Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    you must have a cart collection over there? frenchmon
    Give it time friend, you will soon be a collector. MMMMMMWWHHAAAhahahhahahaaha.......

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Yeah Jack...these guy's are taking me back to school. Vinyl sure sounds a lot better sense the 80's...I suppose its because I have better gear.

Thanks for the heads up on the Brushes and fluids...I need to get some...back in the day I would just go to radio shack.

Have you changed your cart? I find the Elan not being able to track on some passages....but again, I may just need a good cleaning of the vinyl.

- Cheers...

frenchmon
    I haven't changed mine yet. All my vinyl is new, so that may be working in my favor. I am getting the itch though with all this talk about cartridges. I can feel the fever. Waiting to see how your cartridge from poppa sounds.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    I haven't changed mine yet. All my vinyl is new, so that may be working in my favor. I am getting the itch though with all this talk about cartridges. I can feel the fever. Waiting to see how your cartridge from poppa sounds.
    Yeah...I have the itch to try and tweek the table as much as possible...which is not much. That PoppaC dude is really cool.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

noob...I just bumped up the sub a little...I can hear Percy Heaths acoustic bass on Dextor Gordon "Gotham City" loud and clear now..
    Frenchie...you've inspired me to bump the sub level up just a bit and throw on some Dexter Gordon. Great Encounters is up first.

Hey Frenchmon,

Can't wait to know what you think of your TT matched with the OM-10? I just got my OM-20 working and matched with my Luxman: it is consistently blowing my mind!!!
    Thanks to the always generous and cool Poppa and Audionoob, I am in their camp of OM series fan. Post as soon as you get a chance!

Phil Spector looks like the OM20 just blew his mind...

Haahahahaaaahhhhaaa!! That is exactly what I felt like last night, but with a smile on my face. Thank god I didn't go out last night, and that Spector changed his doo before entering the pen!!!

Awesome Audionoob!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the 70' and 80's my fro was about that size.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    You guys with this bumping up the subs will have this place sounding like a car stereo contest before you know it

Yeah...I have the itch to try and tweek the table as much as possible...which is not much. That PoppaC dude is really cool.
    Looks like I'm getting ready to scratch the itch big time. Got my local Music Hall dealer working up a deal on a MMF 5.1 with an upgraded Goldring cartridge. He'll take my 2.1 in on trade. Just have to find time to get up there. He's got some vinyl for sale too, so I'm sure I won't get out untouched. I was looking Clearaudio or VPI, but this will do nicely till the next itch.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Looks like I'm getting ready to scratch the itch big time. Got my local Music Hall dealer working up a deal on a MMF 5.1 with an upgraded Goldring cartridge. He'll take my 2.1 in on trade. Just have to find time to get up there. He's got some vinyl for sale too, so I'm sure I won't get out untouched. I was looking Clearaudio or VPI, but this will do nicely till the next itch.
    Wow! sounds good to me. Wish I knew some one to take gear in on trades. Congrats. Let me know the difference in the two players with the two difference carts when you get it.

Wow! sounds good to me. Wish I knew some one to take gear in on trades. Congrats. Let me know the difference in the two players with the two difference carts when you get it.
    This will be the nicest table I've owned to date. I've owned some different cartridges (Audio Technica, Shure etc) this will be my first Goldring.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    Jack, you are doing what I did, upgrading table and cart at same time. I did try a Rega P2 and Rega cart for audition before I got the P3 & Elys. I'm happy with the combo but wonder how other carts would compare. Looking forward to hearing how you like your new rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Jack, you are doing what I did, upgrading table and cart at same time. I did try a Rega P2 and Rega cart for audition before I got the P3 & Elys. I'm happy with the combo but wonder how other carts would compare. Looking forward to hearing how you like your new rig.
    Thanks Mr. P. It was the one part of my system that I felt was not on the same level as the rest. I addressed the analog part last because I didn't take it seriously. I had turntables in the 70's and 80's and when CD's came along, I moved with the times. Now with better speakers, amps, cables, etc. I can really feel the richness in analog and want to continue to explore.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Thanks Mr. P. It was the one part of my system that I felt was not on the same level as the rest. I addressed the analog part last because I didn't take it seriously. I had turntables in the 70's and 80's and when CD's came along, I moved with the times. Now with better speakers, amps, cables, etc. I can really feel the richness in analog and want to continue to explore.
    Jack...I too changed with the times when CD came. I even sold all my albums back in the 80's. Then within the last month I got the itch to try vinyl again and boy am I glad I did. Vinyl has a warmth that CD or SACD just cant touch. There seems to be more depth and thickness to the music with Vinyl...brass seems to have more meat to it and a guitar sounds more real. The only thing I hate about turntables is you gotta get up and turn over the vinyl. I still have two weeks to go before my month is up to send it back and get a better table, and I have been wondering about a simi-automatic table that has an automatic return. I called MusicDirect and they said to send it back. My plans where to keep it for about 6-12 months but now that you have traded yours in for a better table, its very tempting to do the same thing. I really do like the MMF 2.1. I have been wearing Paul Desmond and Dexter Gordon out with a little blues from Joe Williams and Big Joe Turner.

frenchmon

MrP...I will be doing a shoot out with the Goldring Elan (music tracker) Ortofon OM-10 and the Ortofon 2M Red but of course it will be a slow process seeing you have to be careful changing out carts. I called Music Direct and they said the MM2.1 has been sitting in back a few years so the cart has way less than 50 hours on it. So its not even broken in yet.

I order the 2MRed from our friend at a discount price a few days ago...before I did I checked prices at MusicDirect and Needle doctor. Today I go to needle doctor and they have it in the closeout cheaper than what our friend sells for...not much cheaper, but never the less cheaper. If you want to try a 2M RED....get the discount price at needledoctor.com....its only $79 bucks.

Suspended
    I wouldn't upgrade on that Numark and the Elys was $400.00 or above so I doubt the Red would compare.

I don't believe you will find a high end table that is semi automatic. Most tables designed for sound quality keep anything that would cause noise away. I feel you though, especially on albums I'm not familiar with. About the fourth song I'm thinking is that it.... do I need to jump up..... I really get irritated when I do jump up, get about to the table and music begins on the next song

I wouldn't upgrade on that Numark and the Elys was $400.00 or above so I doubt the Red would compare.

I don't believe you will find a high end table that is semi automatic. Most tables designed for sound quality keep anything that would cause noise away. I feel you though, especially on albums I'm not familiar with. About the fourth song I'm thinking is that it.... do I need to jump up..... I really get irritated when I do jump up, get about to the table and music begins on the next song
    How would there be noise if the return is after the music has stopped? Its not like there is noise if the music is playing

wrong thread
    Last edited by frenchmon; 05-28-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information