May be a table finally.

Printable View

• 05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Noob,

Before this thread turns into another "He said, She said", I'll say this.

If I had offended you, then I'm sorry. That wasn't my intent. As I told you, I think it's important for us to give proper advice to Frenchie, since he's been out of the water for decades. That's why I said it was a bad advice. If you had suggest me to increase VTF, I probably would've only turned a smidgit. Now, I don't want to to mislead others to think I'm now offending Frenchie here to say he would make full 360 degree turn on a counterweight. I'm positive Frenchy nows better but again, he's been away from the scene for 2+ decades. I think it was suggested by the community to align cartridge inward and apply as much pressure as possible back in the day. I'm probably being absurd here as well.

5g is indeed excessive, and I thought I made that clear. I'm not going to ask you to read between the lines, so I'll be sure to make it clear for all from now on.

P.S. I'm not going to get a MMF2.1 and a heavy cartridge just to see how quickly I can snap the cantilever.
  • 05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
    02audionoob
    JRA, I don't know what that means, but I'll say this...You could learn some manners. Seriously.
  • 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I'm not going to just agree with you to say I'm a jackass, because I don't think I was being a jack ass. But seems you were offended by my posts, so I'm sorry you felt that way.

Administrator,
    This good thread was going well until this afternoon. Feel free to erase my posts before this thread gets locked.

JRA
  • 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
    frenchmon
    Hey fellas...speaking of the Ortofon 2M Red and 2M Blue... what does this mean?

"The 2M series is available in four different iterations, which are divided into two tiers. The 2M Red ($99) and Blue ($199) share the same plastic cartridge body and engine, but where the Red uses a standard elipitical stylus, the Blue employs a polished, nude elipitcal diamond."

Does this mean that one has some sort of covering while the other does not?

frenchmon
  • 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hi JRA and noob...

I did place the weight on my self...it was simple. No VTA was needed according to the instruction book...it was set at the factory. Only if I change the cart will I need to set it. Where is the best place to buy a gauge, brush, cleaning fluids and so on?

noob I just now increased the tracking force from 1.75 Gms to 2Gms and the bass and overall presentation seems to have more texture to it while listening to Paul Desmond. JRA, I've lost my password to the online resource I was using to post pictures and I did password recovery but they have not sent a new password as of yet...as soon as I get my password I will post pictures.

Cheers...and continue to instruct me in vinyl and tables...you two alone with PoppaC are my learning resouce.

Hey Frenchie,
    I usually get my supplies at Elusive Disc. I picked up a level a while back and recently I got a Clearaudio Diamond Stylus Brush and some stylus cleaning fluid. I'm really enjoying this thread. Picking up a lot of valuable info, as I know you are too.
  • 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Here is a good link on all types of stylus.
    As for the difference, I have no idea whether nude elliptical offers more contact surface when compared to its "clothed" cousin.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22894
  • 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Hey, even if the 2.1 can't track to 5 grams it's nothing a few quarters and some tape can't fix :)
  • 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM
    02audionoob
    I wonder how one of the old Eisenhower dollar coins would work. :)

Quote:

Hey fellas...speaking of the Ortofon 2M Red and 2M Blue... what does this mean?

"The 2M series is available in four different iterations, which are divided into two tiers. The 2M Red ($99) and Blue ($199) share the same plastic cartridge body and engine, but where the Red uses a standard elipitical stylus, the Blue employs a polished, nude elipitcal diamond."

Does this mean that one has some sort of covering while the other does not?

frenchmon

The standard elliptical they're referring to is a diamond bonded to a metal shank. The nude elliptical is all diamond. The nude stylus has less mass and is supposed to track more accurately than the bonded version, but it's usually more expensive.
  • 05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Hey Frenchie,
    I usually get my supplies at Elusive Disc. I picked up a level a while back and recently I got a Clearaudio Diamond Stylus Brush and some stylus cleaning fluid. I'm really enjoying this thread. Picking up a lot of valuable info, as I know you are too.

Yeah Jack...these guy's are taking me back to school. Vinyl sure sounds a lot better sense the 80's...I suppose its because I have better gear.

Thanks for the heads up on the Brushes and fluids...I need to get some...back in the day I would just go to radio shack.

Have you changed your cart? I find the Elan not being able to track on some passages....but again, I may just need a good cleaning of the vinyl.

- Cheers...

frenchmon
  • 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Here is a good link on all types of stylus.
    As for the difference, I have no idea whether nude elliptical offers more contact surface when compared to its "clothed" cousin.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22894

Thanks jrhymeammo..i'll check it out.
  • 05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I wonder how one of the old Eisenhower dollar coins would work. :)

The standard elliptical they're referring to is a diamond bonded to a metal shank. The nude elliptical is all diamond. The nude stylus has less mass and is supposed to track more accurately than the bonded version, but it's usually more expensive.

Yeah...the reviews of the Ortofon 2M Red and 2M Blue says they sound about the same cept the Blue being nude and costing $199 while the Red being clothed and costing $99. PoppaC is sending me a OM 10....I might just get a 2M Red and shoot-out the Red and OM 10 and the Elan. I have a dealer friend who may give a good price better than retail.

frenchmon
  • 05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Say frenchmon...if you add a little tracking force you might improve the bass situation.

noob...I just bumped up the sub a little...I can hear Percy Heaths acoustic bass on Dextor Gordon "Gotham City" loud and clear now..:3:
  • 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Yeah...the reviews of the Ortofon 2M Red and 2M Blue says they sound about the same cept the Blue being nude and costing $199 while the Red being clothed and costing $99. PoppaC is sending me a OM 10....I might just get a 2M Red and shoot-out the Red and OM 10 and the Elan. I have a dealer friend who may give a good price better than retail.

frenchmon

I have a 2M Red and I have heard the Blue extensively. I wouldn't say they sound or perform the same. Don't discount the Blue.

The Red performs wonderfully with really clear highs. Tracks like a dream, you'd enjoy it. I would say it tracks nicer than the OM-10 but in terms of sound, they will be a close race.
  • 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I have a 2M Red and I have heard the Blue extensively. I wouldn't say they sound or perform the same. Don't discount the Blue.

The Red performs wonderfully with really clear highs. Tracks like a dream, you'd enjoy it. I would say it tracks nicer than the OM-10 but in terms of sound, they will be a close race.

PoppaC you a Red??? What was the difference between the Red and Blue....you must have a cart collection over there? I did hear a Grado on a VPI and it sounded pretty good.

frenchmon
  • 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
    poppachubby
    I think just about any cart on a VPI will sound great, or at the very least, as it's meant to.

Yes I have a Red. As you will eventually have happen, I broke the stylus while dusting an LP. My long sleeve was loose and I was carelesssly too close. It snagged and that was that. I literally picked it up off the ground and snuggled it like a dead pet. Pathetic really.

So anyhow, I had it for roughly 3 months before that. The Blue I have heard on a friends Pro-Ject RPM5 many times and at my local shop also. There are subtle differences, but as I said tracking is exceptional. It's subjective depending on system, but I my experience is that the Blue delivers better highs than the Red. They are more detailed and "real" sounding. Moving from that the upper mids were much smoother. I never really heard a big improvement in bass, but again, subjective.

I thought about sending you the Red cart, but you may as well just buy yourself a brand new one rather than just a stylus. Keep in mind about the OM-20, begin researching it. For that matter the whole OM family.

Here's the Red on my SL-Q2...(sniffle)...I'll buy another stylus but I have a Shure and a Sumiko on the go. I may get it while I have the Sumiko re-tipped.

http://forums.audioreview.com/attach...9&d=1253919240
  • 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

you must have a cart collection over there? frenchmon

Give it time friend, you will soon be a collector. MMMMMMWWHHAAAhahahhahahaaha.......
  • 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Yeah Jack...these guy's are taking me back to school. Vinyl sure sounds a lot better sense the 80's...I suppose its because I have better gear.

Thanks for the heads up on the Brushes and fluids...I need to get some...back in the day I would just go to radio shack.

Have you changed your cart? I find the Elan not being able to track on some passages....but again, I may just need a good cleaning of the vinyl.

- Cheers...

frenchmon

I haven't changed mine yet. All my vinyl is new, so that may be working in my favor. I am getting the itch though with all this talk about cartridges. I can feel the fever. Waiting to see how your cartridge from poppa sounds.
  • 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

I haven't changed mine yet. All my vinyl is new, so that may be working in my favor. I am getting the itch though with all this talk about cartridges. I can feel the fever. Waiting to see how your cartridge from poppa sounds.

Yeah...I have the itch to try and tweek the table as much as possible...which is not much. That PoppaC dude is really cool.
  • 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

noob...I just bumped up the sub a little...I can hear Percy Heaths acoustic bass on Dextor Gordon "Gotham City" loud and clear now..:3:

Frenchie...you've inspired me to bump the sub level up just a bit and throw on some Dexter Gordon. Great Encounters is up first. :13:
  • 05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
    Enochrome
    Hey Frenchmon,

Can't wait to know what you think of your TT matched with the OM-10? I just got my OM-20 working and matched with my Luxman: it is consistently blowing my mind!!!
    Thanks to the always generous and cool Poppa and Audionoob, I am in their camp of OM series fan. Post as soon as you get a chance!
  • 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
    02audionoob
    Phil Spector looks like the OM20 just blew his mind...

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Page...ector-hair.jpg
  • 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
    Enochrome
    Haahahahaaaahhhhaaa!! That is exactly what I felt like last night, but with a smile on my face. Thank god I didn't go out last night, and that Spector changed his doo before entering the pen!!!

Awesome Audionoob!!!!!!!!!!
  • 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
    frenchmon
    Back in the 70' and 80's my fro was about that size.

frenchmon
  • 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
    Mr Peabody
    You guys with this bumping up the subs will have this place sounding like a car stereo contest before you know it :)
  • 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Yeah...I have the itch to try and tweek the table as much as possible...which is not much. That PoppaC dude is really cool.

Looks like I'm getting ready to scratch the itch big time. Got my local Music Hall dealer working up a deal on a MMF 5.1 with an upgraded Goldring cartridge. He'll take my 2.1 in on trade. Just have to find time to get up there. He's got some vinyl for sale too, so I'm sure I won't get out untouched. I was looking Clearaudio or VPI, but this will do nicely till the next itch.
  • 05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Looks like I'm getting ready to scratch the itch big time. Got my local Music Hall dealer working up a deal on a MMF 5.1 with an upgraded Goldring cartridge. He'll take my 2.1 in on trade. Just have to find time to get up there. He's got some vinyl for sale too, so I'm sure I won't get out untouched. I was looking Clearaudio or VPI, but this will do nicely till the next itch.

Wow! sounds good to me. Wish I knew some one to take gear in on trades. Congrats. Let me know the difference in the two players with the two difference carts when you get it.
  • 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Wow! sounds good to me. Wish I knew some one to take gear in on trades. Congrats. Let me know the difference in the two players with the two difference carts when you get it.

This will be the nicest table I've owned to date. I've owned some different cartridges (Audio Technica, Shure etc) this will be my first Goldring.
  • 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Jack, you are doing what I did, upgrading table and cart at same time. I did try a Rega P2 and Rega cart for audition before I got the P3 & Elys. I'm happy with the combo but wonder how other carts would compare. Looking forward to hearing how you like your new rig.
  • 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Jack, you are doing what I did, upgrading table and cart at same time. I did try a Rega P2 and Rega cart for audition before I got the P3 & Elys. I'm happy with the combo but wonder how other carts would compare. Looking forward to hearing how you like your new rig.

Thanks Mr. P. It was the one part of my system that I felt was not on the same level as the rest. I addressed the analog part last because I didn't take it seriously. I had turntables in the 70's and 80's and when CD's came along, I moved with the times. Now with better speakers, amps, cables, etc. I can really feel the richness in analog and want to continue to explore.
  • 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Thanks Mr. P. It was the one part of my system that I felt was not on the same level as the rest. I addressed the analog part last because I didn't take it seriously. I had turntables in the 70's and 80's and when CD's came along, I moved with the times. Now with better speakers, amps, cables, etc. I can really feel the richness in analog and want to continue to explore.

Jack...I too changed with the times when CD came. I even sold all my albums back in the 80's. Then within the last month I got the itch to try vinyl again and boy am I glad I did. Vinyl has a warmth that CD or SACD just cant touch. There seems to be more depth and thickness to the music with Vinyl...brass seems to have more meat to it and a guitar sounds more real. The only thing I hate about turntables is you gotta get up and turn over the vinyl. I still have two weeks to go before my month is up to send it back and get a better table, and I have been wondering about a simi-automatic table that has an automatic return. I called MusicDirect and they said to send it back. My plans where to keep it for about 6-12 months but now that you have traded yours in for a better table, its very tempting to do the same thing. I really do like the MMF 2.1. I have been wearing Paul Desmond and Dexter Gordon out with a little blues from Joe Williams and Big Joe Turner.

frenchmon
  • 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

MrP...I will be doing a shoot out with the Goldring Elan (music tracker) Ortofon OM-10 and the Ortofon 2M Red but of course it will be a slow process seeing you have to be careful changing out carts. I called Music Direct and they said the MM2.1 has been sitting in back a few years so the cart has way less than 50 hours on it. So its not even broken in yet.

I order the 2MRed from our friend at a discount price a few days ago...before I did I checked prices at MusicDirect and Needle doctor. Today I go to needle doctor and they have it in the closeout cheaper than what our friend sells for...not much cheaper, but never the less cheaper. If you want to try a 2M RED....get the discount price at needledoctor.com....its only $79 bucks.
  • 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I wouldn't upgrade on that Numark and the Elys was $400.00 or above so I doubt the Red would compare.

I don't believe you will find a high end table that is semi automatic. Most tables designed for sound quality keep anything that would cause noise away. I feel you though, especially on albums I'm not familiar with. About the fourth song I'm thinking is that it.... do I need to jump up..... I really get irritated when I do jump up, get about to the table and music begins on the next song :)
  • 05-27-2010, 06:48 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

I wouldn't upgrade on that Numark and the Elys was $400.00 or above so I doubt the Red would compare.

I don't believe you will find a high end table that is semi automatic. Most tables designed for sound quality keep anything that would cause noise away. I feel you though, especially on albums I'm not familiar with. About the fourth song I'm thinking is that it.... do I need to jump up..... I really get irritated when I do jump up, get about to the table and music begins on the next song :)

How would there be noise if the return is after the music has stopped? Its not like there is noise if the music is playing
  • 05-28-2010, 06:47 AM
    frenchmon
    wrong thread