Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Shags,

By no means meant to be a be all, end all, just another rung up the ladder my friend. Is the a200 such a dog? The word is good on them. I did see a 400 asking price $1k. Don't forget that I'll need an amp right away and NFW I'm running it into the Denon's amps, this would drive me crazy wondering what I'm missing, especially with the balanced connections available.

Peace, LDB
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Personal attacks....really?

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345 View Post
    Oh... SEMI-automatic... I'm sorry. Yeah... All of the best tonearms are semi-automatic plastic fantastics.

"and know it well (CS-5000).

Pleasant to listen to. The real weakness is the arm (or more correctly the bearings). Much of it is made of plastic painted to look like metal. The internal wiring is poor. The ability to tweak it is minimal." Need help with Dual CS-5000 impressions and experence???? - diyAudio

Hmmm... Is that so? This item is no longer available. Nope... It's not so. Denon didn't put that arm on their cheaper models either... Hmmm...

Technics and Dual "battled over this issue"? Was it televised? Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? In any case... Technics must have won because they went on to sell most of the turntables manufactured in the '80s with their S-shaped tonearms, while Dual declared bankruptcy in 1982. Technics buried Dual.

Dual's claims of their arms having such Earth shatteringly low mass were in comparison to Garrards and such from the '70s, not arms that were designed after they went under. Dual took Garrard down in much the same way Technics took Dual down. One look will tell you the Dual arm is more mid-mass by today's standards.

The classic SME S-shaped tonearms generally sell for far more than your turntable does on eBay. They have more mass than the arm on the 1200. Again... mass has NOTHING to do with QUALITY and more tonearm mass works better with certain carts.

What's that about the shortest distance between two ears?...

I'm not buying the rest of this crap, so excuse me for not buyng this either. I'm not going to be replacing my 1200 with a Dual 5000 anytime soon... Did you have the 1200 hooked up to the exact same gear and cartridge? Even so... I'd have to say an A / B test on two pieces of gear done years apart would be hard to take very seriously. Doubt if you ever heard a 1200. Most of the folks who still bash them these days bash them in comparison to much more expensive gear. The 1200 is experiencing a surge of popularity right now and your cliches and myths about them just aren't holding water. Back cue and get with the program.

I wouldn't... LOL

Coming here for a good-natured pat on the back for buying a turntable that's not all that impressive and then knocking other's gear for a bunch of crazy reasons, most of which don't even turn out to be true, is poor form. I agree the CS-5000 is an excellent value compared to what some of these new entry-level tables are going for. A little speed stability goes a long way towards good sound in my book... and it sure is a looker. Like I said... almost bought one myself a few times. But, if you want to bash my gear... at least try to come up with some sort of real reason for doing so. Not a bunch of myths, cliches and completely false statements... talk of this "blowing away" that when you don't even have this and that on hand for comparison... and the best way you can describe the differences is that one "blows away" the other... Less than worthless. You've been completely unable to support your bold statement that the Technics arm "pales in comparison" to the Dual arm with anything other than nonsense. The fact is, if the Technics arm is weak... the Dual arm is probably very close in mass (although mass is no indication of quality), semi automatic and probably not put together quite as well.

You mean everything I took apart piece by piece and proved to be total crap? Congrats... I guess....
    Believe it or not, i actually created an account, simply due to your unbearable attitude, as if the freaking net owes you anything. Well here's how it works, Ace. The person that goes personal is the one who has run out of cogent arguments to back their point, and begin to strike out personally from utter frustration.

Remember that you do your TT disservice by feeling you have to defend it so vigorously. Almost everyone knows that line of Technics is nearly indestructible, you don't need to defend them, you need to enjoy yours. Defending it so harshly makes it sound as if their points are causing you doubt, so you lash out. Someone saying TT a is better than TT b doesn't make it so. Some assessments are objective, some are always gonna be subjective, that is how it is. If your Technics does all you need and want, why would you write a novel arguing that fact to a stranger? Listening to the 1200 sounds much more enjoyable.

Good night, and be well. Think happy, its incredibly less stressful.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterdam View Post
    Believe it or not, i actually created an account, simply due to your unbearable attitude, as if the freaking net owes you anything. Well here's how it works, Ace. The person that goes personal is the one who has run out of cogent arguments to back their point, and begin to strike out personally from utter frustration.

Remember that you do your TT disservice by feeling you have to defend it so vigorously. Almost everyone knows that line of Technics is nearly indestructible, you don't need to defend them, you need to enjoy yours. Defending it so harshly makes it sound as if their points are causing you doubt, so you lash out. Someone saying TT a is better than TT b doesn't make it so. Some assessments are objective, some are always gonna be subjective, that is how it is. If your Technics does all you need and want, why would you write a novel arguing that fact to a stranger? Listening to the 1200 sounds much more enjoyable.

Good night, and be well. Think happy, its incredibly less stressful.

Hey Ace this thread ended in 2008 over 6 years ago. Glad you finally had the time in six years to be offended and need to share your opinion. Comments on anything current?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information