Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LP Storage

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

LP Storage

Hey all...

I am tired of side to side storage. Old spines are tough to read, and the covers just aren't as viewable.

This is unfinished, but I think you get the idea. I was originally going to suspend it, but for now I have a surface it can sit on.

I'll keep you posted. I should have it glued/screwed tonight. Painted tommorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LP Storage-dsc03189.jpg  

Nice idea. Are you planning to put in on tables or legs or something? Or will it stay on the floor?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Pops
    That is nice and it looks like it will work out great!!
    The guy I scored the 400 LD's off of used something similar.
    His looked to be about the same size as your and it was amazing but he was able to get about 100 titles in each "rack". Have you any idea yet how many you think you will be able to store?

I think it will hold about 500 - 600. I have it on top of my old console. It needs painting now, it's pretty ugly. I'll take a pic once it's done.

I'm stoked because I'll be able to flip through my LPs with ease. I am out of touch with my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I am out of touch with my collection.
    Know the feeling! I have been excited on a few occasions to pick up some great vinyl only to get home and realize I already have a copy. Thankfully since I only pay a $1 or less for vinyl my failing memory does not hurt me too much.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    Last edited by thekid; 06-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.

1st coat...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LP Storage-dsc03211.jpg  

Do you have any idea what the whole thing is going to weigh when it's done and loaded?

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

record store syle

yeah, i always prefereed that but they eat up so much space. i dearly love to flip through records and see the covers but you would need a 5000 sq ft house with dedicated rooms for records to accommodate a collection of any real size.

even one like yours would be too space hungry in my house and i dont live in an apartment.

if you can tolerate that in your space, then-happy days! i am jealous.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Do you have any idea what the whole thing is going to weigh when it's done and loaded?
    You're the engineer, you tell me. The cab weighs about 60 lbs, so pretty damn heavy w/ LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    yeah, i always prefereed that but they eat up so much space. i dearly love to flip through records and see the covers but you would need a 5000 sq ft house with dedicated rooms for records to accommodate a collection of any real size.

even one like yours would be too space hungry in my house and i dont live in an apartment.

if you can tolerate that in your space, then-happy days! i am jealous.
    Yes you are right. My plan is to have this thing filled with the best of the best and profile storage for everything else.

You're the engineer, you tell me. The cab weighs about 60 lbs, so pretty damn heavy w/ LPs.
    I chose 10 records at random from my collection and weighed them - 5.25 pounds. Not too bad. At that rate, 600 records would be 315 pounds...about like you and me sitting on it.

damn heavy

measure off one foot of LPs and weigh them. measure your space. divide and multiply.

i am not so sure that table will not weaken under the weight. and it looks like furniture a grade table that you wouldnt want to ruin.
    ...regards...tr

Back in the 80's when I and everyone else use to have tones of album's , we kept them in those peaches crates. Can you still find them these days? Boy Pops...that's going to be really heavy. Why don't you just make individual crates instead of one that has 4 compartments. That way you can stack or have them side by side like we did in the 80's. IF you ever have to move them the way you have them now, you have to dump out all your albums first.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

peach crates

arent very formidable and break relatively easily if moved with records in them. they ARE attractive and the labels of some are collectible.

for what poppa is doing, they would protrude too far out into the room.
    ...regards...tr

I will put peach crates in the same category as spandex and hairspray. I don't plan on moving anything anytime soon.

Done! I highly recommend a similar project for anyone with a large LP collection. Now I am gonna spin some long forgotten goodies.

To my brothers in analog, I bid you goodnight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LP Storage-dsc03239.jpg  

Looks great!
    Nice touch using those record protectors.
    Looks like you have some nice LP's from what I can see.

Tommy...dont know your age, but I know PoppaC is a youngster...hes in his early 30's so he may be to young to remember, but in the 80's there was an Record store chain called "Peaches Records and Tapes." They sold these album crates that where not real peaches crates but where actually bigger and sturdy crates that where made for albums. I had a bunch of them to hold albums. So they where not in a category as spandex and hairspray as Pops thinks, but a very good and useful tool to hold albums.

Pops it looks great....hope you don't have to move it though...but it does look great. Back in the day, I had mine in those peaches crates and albums all stacked along the wall. Now the few I have are all stacked on the wall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    great work, pops!

Hey frenchmon...at least your original reference to Peaches wasn't lost on me. When I was a youngster, having Peaches crates was very hip. Someone else's picture on Flickr...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Hey frenchmon...at least your original reference to Peaches wasn't lost on me. When I was a youngster, having Peaches crates was very hip. Someone else's picture on Flickr...

My man!!!! Someone around here knows what im talking about! My brother from another mother!!!! Good looking out noob.

OK maybe I will try to build a similar crate to satisfy all you Regan Republican, cocaine snorting 80's Miami Vice types.

Come to think of it now...I wish I could find some today...I got a feeling I may be needing some as my vinyl collection grows.

OK maybe I will try to build a similar crate to satisfy all you Regan Republican, cocaine snorting 80's Miami Vice types.
    Hahahaha...lol! I was all that but not a Republican or Regan fan boy.

No Republicans in this house, and I'm going with IKEA Expedit shelves for my LPs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information