Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's a doggone shame.

I wish there was some turntable talk around here. It's a shame. I get the urge to at least post a picture of one sometimes.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If I were home on my computer I would post a picture of my table and download a photo of the Clearaudio Classic with the Classic MC cartridge. The combo is only $2,000. I would still keep the Rega but I would love to compare my hot rodded Rega to a stock model.

It has been too long since I have listened to a Linn or other top tier table. Most of the local audio stores are more intereted in multi channel than analog two channel. I would like to visit an audio shop where you could compare tables and cartridges.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 05-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I don't have the desire to fool around with TT's anymore. Been there, done that. But I do think that this topic should see more traffic around here. Where are all the analog guys these days?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I wish there was some turntable talk around here.
    A couple of months ago, I purchased a used NAD preamp to replace the Bellari in the garage system. Since it has a moving coil input, I was able to swap the Shure M97 for a Shinon Red Boron cartridge once used in the main system. Definitely better sounding, but I probably need to have it re-tipped by Soundsmith (pic still has Shure in place).

rw

***** Lurker

Smile Here's one!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    I don't have the desire to fool around with TT's anymore. Been there, done that. But I do think that this topic should see more traffic around here. Where are all the analog guys these days?
    I bought my Musicl Hall 9.1 a year or so ago with the Jolida phono stage and now, a couple of hundred albums later, I am still jazzed by how much fun it continues to be. The last record I picked up was "Kind of Blue" on Legacy 180g vinyl and I am still amazed at how fantastic it sounds. I would never take the stance that CD sounds better than Vinyl or vice versa but I will state that I feel vinyl is a much more involving experience.

***** Lurker

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    A couple of months ago, I purchased a used NAD preamp to replace the Bellari in the garage system. Since it has a moving coil input, I was able to swap the Shure M97 for a Shinon Red Boron cartridge once used in the main system. Definitely better sounding, but I probably need to have it re-tipped by Soundsmith (pic still has Shure in place).

rw
    Very nice Mr. Noob!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

rw
    Very nice Ralph. I am not familiar with that cartridge will you tell me about it?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am not familiar with that cartridge will you tell me about it?
    The Shinon Red is a medium output (1 mV) moving coil cartridge from the mid-80s. Call it a poor man's Koetsu as it has a slightly romantic, organic tone along with the clarity of a MC. It followed an Accuphase AC-2 and was replaced by a Dynavector DV-20X. I particularly like mid output models because you can generally get away with a two stage preamp and have enough gain.

rw

I wish there was some turntable talk around here. It's a shame. I get the urge to at least post a picture of one sometimes.

Nice noob...Getting ready to head off for work....so this evening when I get home I will take the 7.1 out of the box and get some pictures...
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The Shinon Red is a medium output (1 mV) moving coil cartridge from the mid-80s. Call it a poor man's Koetsu as it has a slightly romantic, organic tone along with the clarity of a MC. It followed an Accuphase AC-2 and was replaced by a Dynavector DV-20X. I particularly like mid output models because you can generally get away with a two stage preamp and have enough gain.

rw
    Your description is how I would describe my Nagaoka. Anyhow...how are you Ralph? Your garage system is better than most people's main systems, that Manley gives me erotic dreams. Since the Squeezebox I would like an upgrade.

Did you get a PP1 or a PP2? Either way, I would say both are less regarded than your old Bellari. I traded my Bellari for a Creek and couldn't have been happier. I am running the same deck as you with a Moth MKI (Rega 251) arm.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    ...that Manley gives me erotic dreams. Since the Squeezebox I would like an upgrade.
    Doing very well, thank you! The Manley is a great minimalist solution with its two tube analog output and gain controls.

Did you get a PP1 or a PP2?
    Actually, neither of those. I purchased a C-160 preamp. Call it a PP-2 along with a line stage driven by a huge linear power supply. It runs as hot as the Threshold! Especially since it allows me to use a moving coil cartridge, the sound is a good bit better. Here are some internal pics I found on the net.

rw

been spinning nothing but vinyl as of late!

My new table...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got it with out the cart...so using the 2Mred until I get the 2Mblack...This tabel is light years ahead the the 2.1. The sound is so smooth and liquid compared to the other table which was quit good in its self. If it sounds this good with a cheaper cart like the Red, cant wait to get the Black.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Nice addition to the family, frenchmon!

Having lots of fun!

Nice addition to the family, frenchmon!
    Well Thank you sir....the sound is amazing...even with the Red. Much louder than the 2.1 And the pops and scratches I heard previously with the 2.1 are gone.

I had no idea the Cedar Walton was moaning during his piano solo on Dextor Gordons Album Gothan City until I played it on the 7.1

Im wondering if I really should get another phono amp? Dont get me wrong....the one in the Rotel is sounding really good, but I have nothing to compare it to, so I really dont know the level of performance I have. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well Thank you sir....the sound is amazing...even with the Red. Much louder than the 2.1 And the pops and scratches I heard previously with the 2.1 are gone.

I had no idea the Cedar Walton was moaning during his piano solo on Dextor Gordons Album Gothan City until I played it on the 7.1[ Im wondering if I really should get another phono amp? Dont get me wrong....the one in the Rotel is sounding really good, but I have nothing to compare it to, so I really dont know the level of performance I have. What do you think?
    Congrats!! And welcome to high end analog...you have arrived my friend.

The 2M Black will floor you. I promise that you will only be thinking about your table for at least a couple of months.

As for your Rotel, I like the specs. I can tell you that my Bozak 919 has an amazing phono section. It's both incredible in sound and in design. I would say that it matches my Creek.

The easy and obvious advice is to audition something. I would assume that your Rotel can handle itself up to the 500 mark. Maybe not. It took my modded EICO to undo both my Creek and Bozak. My tech redesigned the old circuitry so that my signal is using BOTH pairs of tubes, much like most standard tubed stages at the $1K mark. He also added an extremely accurate RIAA curve.

The Black is an incredible cart and can indeed be held back by an underachieving stage. For now just sit back and enjoy what you have, worry about it in a few months.

Doing very well, thank you! The Manley is a great minimalist solution with its two tube analog output and gain controls.

Actually, neither of those. I purchased a C-160 preamp. Call it a PP-2 along with a line stage driven by a huge linear power supply. It runs as hot as the Threshold! Especially since it allows me to use a moving coil cartridge, the sound is a good bit better. Here are some internal pics I found on the net.

rw
    Reminds me of my old Kenwood Basic C1, very clean and minimal.

The other question that popped into my mind was regarding your cabling Ralph. I suppose this is well OT, but what do you have between the SB and Manley? I recently upgraded to a Transparent coax from a not-too-shabby Tributaries. The difference was impressive.

I know you're keen on cables, just curious. Oh yes and analog, carts, tables, records....just to get back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post

been spinning nothing but vinyl as of late!
    Damn...nice. Great to see the ol weight amidst the upper class gear, talk about "movin on up" (to the West side in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Im wondering if I really should get another phono amp? Dont get me wrong....the one in the Rotel is sounding really good, but I have nothing to compare it to, so I really dont know the level of performance I have. What do you think?
    I like poppa's advice to sit back and enjoy the music. That's what I'm doing, lately. Poppa is a wise man. I still tinker a bit, but no equipment changes. The phono stage is obviously very important and I don't doubt you're going to eventually (if not now) have the desire to upgrade. my integrated doesn't have a phono stage, so I had to find something. I feel like I got lucky with my PS Audio GCPH. I'd like to hear others in its price range, but it's really not practical. I do sometimes wish Rega had one in this range. Maybe someday I'll try a used Rega Fono just for grins.

Since you're on the market for a cartridge, I thought I'd offer up the idea of a Goldring Eroica. It's sort of an obvious choice because of the fact that Music Hall uses Goldring cartridges on their turntables...including the Eroica...but it's more than that. It's a really a nice cartridge on its own. I have it on my P5 while the Goldring 1042 sits in its box, waiting its turn. Both will be on the sidelines for a while in another month or two...when I get my Dynavector from Soundsmith.

Forum Regular
    I agree poppa is very wise. Have fun, love the music, and enjoy!

It could be that I am wise, but maybe it is more that I am broke!

I feel like I got lucky with my PS Audio GCPH. I'd like to hear others in its price range, but it's really not practical. I do sometimes wish Rega had one in this range. Maybe someday I'll try a used Rega Fono just for grins.
    A Rega Fono?!? Yes I am grinning. Funny stuff. Actually London Audio will be receiving the Rega DAC soon, I am anxious to hear it.

Slippers you should look into the GCPH down the road. Wildly accurate with great features for a decent price.

I have a very nice CDP I've not touch in 3 weeks. Been on a vinyl purchasing and listening binge.

Been buying field recordings from Allen Lomax and George Mitchell.

Pretty good stuff if you are into it.

Found a little record shop on 24th street in the Mission - on tuesday or thursdays I stop by after I climb at Mission Cliffs and get my burrito & beer on at Faralitos. Owner is cool - I think he is warming up to me - store has some crazy stuff - reminds me of being in a 'college' radio station music store. 80% of the stuff I've never heard of and the newer stuff almost 99% is local stuff I've no idea how it sounds.

I like poppa's advice to sit back and enjoy the music. That's what I'm doing, lately.

Well I will take that advice then...thanks Pop's and noob.

Poppa is a wise man.
    With out a doubt.

I still tinker a bit, but no equipment changes. The phono stage is obviously very important and I don't doubt you're going to eventually (if not now) have the desire to upgrade.
    Yeah...ima saving my pennies now for a preamp change in about 6-12 months. I want to get some tubed preamp to mate with the Rotel amp. I dont like an overly warm sound But I know I want something with the edge taken off a bit....my buddy has a ARC LS17 and I absolutely loved it...not as warm as Peabodys CJ gear but sweet, velvet like while still having a liveliness to it That the sound I like.. But I would rather have something newer in the $1000-$1500 range...got any suggestions? You Pops? Any Body?

My dealer sells Bel Canto which I like but I would rather have one of their DAC's CDP rather than preamp seeing Bel Canto while being outstanding stuff are some what proprietary. He also sells Vincent gear which I have listened to and have no problem with.. Take a look..click on the Vincent side. http://www.vincent-tac.de/

[guote] my integrated doesn't have a phono stage, so I had to find something. I feel like I got lucky with my PS Audio GCPH. I'd like to hear others in its price range, but it's really not practical. I do sometimes wish Rega had one in this range. Maybe someday I'll try a used Rega Fono just for grins.
    Is the Rega Fono SS?

Since you're on the market for a cartridge, I thought I'd offer up the idea of a Goldring Eroica. It's sort of an obvious choice because of the fact that Music Hall uses Goldring cartridges on their turntables...including the Eroica...but it's more than that. It's a really a nice cartridge on its own. I have it on my P5 while the Goldring 1042 sits in its box, waiting its turn. Both will be on the sidelines for a while in another month or two...when I get my Dynavector from Soundsmith.
    Do you know bajaed over on the Audiokarma forum? I got him a deal on a mmf-7.1 with the cart from my dealers. He is in town this weekend picking it up. When may meet up today or tomorrow at my dealers house to sit and talk audio before he goes back to Ohio. We I was at my dealers two days ago and he was breaking in the cart on bajaeds 7.1 before he picks it up, with this album that breaks in new carts, I ask if he would put on an Album so I can hear the Goldring 2400 cart that was on it. So he put on a Muddy Waters live album and man I could tell that cart was outstanding. But I think the system was a little overly warm for my taste. Not because of the cart, but because he had the entire Bel Canto system which is warm ss gear and he was using a Grado phono amp which is also warm toned. But I could still tell the cart is outstanding. Its not totally off my list. In fact with the 7.1 the 2M Red at times with certain artist seem a little to bright ...but the Black is suppose to be a little more pleasant in that regard.

Have you purchased the Dynavector yet? Which one are you getting? Dont know what you are paying but my dealer is able to sell cheaper because he closed his brick building and sells now out of his house. He will sell me a Black for almost $200 cheaper than retail. IF you want I can see what he will sell on for and then I can put you in contact with him and you two can make the transaction. Let me know.

frenchmon

It could be that I am wise, but maybe it is more that I am broke!
    Pops...as I mentioned to Art K. one day.....I know broke....he and I are best friends...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information