Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

The insides of my Jolida JD9

Let the mods begin. So far I've replaced the output op amps and swapped the Jolida tubes for a pair of Fisher Telefunken 12AX7. The Obbligato Gold caps are on order and should get here any day. Man have I ever changed my tune about vinyl. The only phono stage I had for an extended period was the CJ PV1. I thought it was good but the Jolida walks all over it.

Hahahaha...Vinyl rules!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

that's a lot of acreage in that chassis. Let the mods begin!!!

Sweet phono stage........as I seethe with envy.

Forum Regular

Jolida JD9 mds

Also replace the power supply caps on the board with some
    good quality panansonic caps.
    I did the power supply caps, Obbligato gold caps on the output.
    I tried the tele tubes but found the mullard had more detail.
    I haven't touched the input board yet as I have too many projects on the go, but what op amps/etc did you change and where did you source them.
    Dan

Forum Regular
    Dan,
    I went with opa627 ( digikey ) in the outputs (1 and 2 but may do others ) and replaced the tubes at the same time for a subtle improvement. I believe the op amps are much cheaper on ebay if they are the real McCoy? I expect a greater jump with the Obbligato's as that's when others say it all comes together. Are you using 12ax7 or 12au7? Can you provide a link to the Panasonic caps you used on the PS?
    Thanks, Paul

Forum Regular
    "lots of acreage" - E, they make it 2.5" high and the standard 12.5"x17" so folks can place a TT or other gear on top of it, which I wouldn't do.

Forum Regular
    I got all the caps from Mouser. Best to pop out the board and measure the diameter, height is a non issue. I am using Mullard 12ax7 right now.
    Have you tried the MC input? I haven't got a MC cartridge yet.

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I tried the high level out puts but they have way too much gain for my 97ex MM cart, even with the dips switches off. II hope to try a MC one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Dan,
    I went with opa627 ( digikey ) in the outputs (1 and 2 but may do others ) and replaced the tubes at the same time for a subtle improvement. I believe the op amps are much cheaper on ebay if they are the real McCoy? I expect a greater jump with the Obbligato's as that's when others say it all comes together. Are you using 12ax7 or 12au7? Can you provide a link to the Panasonic caps you used on the PS?
    Thanks, Paul
    I have been meaning to try 12au7's for a little less gain in my Jolida 502a because I can't even get the volume past 7 o'clock using my dac. I think you will like the MC stage just as much as the MM.

How do you like the the 97xe with the Jolida?

I heard in terms of Opamps that the AD8620/10 is really good: gobs of detail without the forward presentation. I use a pair of LM4562's in my dac, but they are now going to go into my Cambridge 640p along with a recap to widen the soundstage, get more detail (which they are known for) and increase the output a little. I am going to pair them with some AD8620's in the output stage to tame the LM4562's.

Me likes vinyl.

Forum Regular

Obbligato Gold Caps Installed

Wow! Big difference with the Obbligato's which replaced some chiclet sized caps on the opposite side of the board. Very defined bass and the high notes just hang forever in space. Great airiness in the top hats on Sonny Rollin's Sax Colossus. I've still got four more op amps to upgrade and a ps cap but it's hard to imagine it getting better. To quote a guy on AK regarding these mods, "stunning, just stunning"

Forum Regular

No brainer phono preamp

With four more Texas Instrument OPA 627 and some Russian Mullards which are on the way I'll have around $200 in upgrades over it's original $360 price tag. This is basically equivalent to level III Underwood mods with performance comparable to $1500 tube phono stages.

The Jolida has got to be one of the best deals in audio. I only wish I had bought one sooner.

Forum Regular
    On another forum there was questionable soldering quality on one unit but on this JD9 the soldering is top notch.

The over sized Obbligato cap mods are secured to the chassis with velcro patches. I may dampen the insides and top cover at some point. For the time being I'm running it naked i.e. no top or tube covers. I'm in awe every time I fire it up.

Ok...let me hear you say it! VINYL RULES!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Vinyl rules especially with a great tube phono stage.

Thank you sir! You are now in the club!

Forum Regular

2 in and 4 more Opa627ap ( opamps ) to go

This is what the kitchen counter top looked like this morning.

Forum Regular

Tiny little buggers

Forum Regular

All in and sounding sweet!

At $21 a pop from Mouser these ain't exactly a cheap mod but well worth it. Since I'm running it topless I see no need for case dampening. To say I'm extremely pleased would be an understatement.

Forum Regular
    I've listened to the Jolida for most of today and this puppy is as smooth as a baby's butt and quiet as a church mouse. I can not believe my good fortune in finding this phono stage and then with some simple mods taking it to a level I would not have thought possible. The Conrad Johnson PV had a great phono stage but it's light years behind this modded Jolida.

Forum Regular
    A guy on AK just posted that he's owned the following:

ASL Phono
    McCormack Phono
    Hagerman Cornet II ( modded )
    Juicy Music Tercel
    Audible Illusions
    K&K Phono

And the JD9 is better than all except for the K&K. He feels that once modded the JD9 competes with the $1300 K&K.

Forum Regular
    Greeting the Sunday dawn here as I spin my new, wonderfully recorded 200 gram "Billie Holiday" album ( thank you frenchmon ).

The monster threads and hyper excitement over the JD9 is totally justified. I rolled the Telefunkens back in and am just smitten with their velvet smoothness and dark background. The silence between notes is CD like but with all the visceralness and warmth that only comes with tube analog. As one would expect there's no hint of transistor glare/fatigue in the least.

I recently had the opportunity to compare it to the highly regarded Hagerman Cornet2 and the modded Jolida trounced it.

Forum Regular

Modded JD9 under Technics SL

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Greeting the Sunday dawn here as I spin my new, wonderfully recorded 200 gram "Billie Holiday" album ( thank you frenchmon ).

The monster threads and hyper excitement over the JD9 is totally justified. I rolled the Telefunkens back in and am just smitten with their velvet smoothness and dark background. The silence between notes is CD like but with all the visceralness and warmth that only comes with tube analog. As one would expect there's no hint of transistor glare/fatigue in the least.

I recently had the opportunity to compare it to the highly regarded Hagerman Cornet2 and the modded Jolida trounced it.
    You are welcome on the Billie Holiday record. I love that Album. I think all who know Billie Should have that Album. They did as good of a job as possible cleaning that record up and mastering it. That was recorded 3 years before she died and though her voice was not like it was before the abuse she still sounds dam good. And Ben Webster on sax...Wow. The 2M Black does it really good. And by the way....when she recorded that album...she was a full blown junkie...heroin .

I use to have the SL 3. Which one is yours?

Forum Regular
    It's an original SL1300 I bought new back in the day. I know folks are not keen on automatics but it cost more than an SL1200 and is pretty much the same TT with some additional parts. I don't think I could give up the auto sit down, return and repeat mode.

Since the JD9 will drive any cart under the sun I'm looking at moving coils. I can get near dealer cost prices on any of Denon MC line. Any recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information