Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

The notes on Me and Chet give credit on piano (Floyd Cramer), bass and drums. However, no such credit is noted on Me and Jerry.

I'm pretty well covered on Joanie's records. Which ones you got?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I have David's Album and In Concert Pt.2, they're not my style and I will most likely trade them if you don't want them.

I'll take both Chet LPs, I just hate Chet albums with strings and full orchestration.

I wouldn't mind having those records...especially David's Album. I'll run some recordings of the Jerry/Chet albums today. You might have to forgive some surface noise.

OK, into the pile they go. I was excited about having a couple of Vanguard LPs, but the content just doesn't move me.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I loaned out a pair of Grado headphones that made the rounds, I'm not sure to whom, for over a year. They finally made their way back to me. The ear pads were a little suspect upon return so it was time to order another pair, but I can't justify an online order for just one item, especially a boring pair of $10 ear pads made with .50 worth of foam. Had to throw in some vinyl as well. Knocked Wilco's Summerteeth and Iron & Wine's ep Woman King off the wishlist. My son asked for Deftones' White Pony on vinyl last Christmas and I couldn't find it anywhere. It's recently been re-released so I picked it up for him. I'm not familiar with their stuff, but since he's coming home this weekend I'm sure we'll spin it.

Ready or not, it'll soon be time for the annual Christmas vinyl haul. Need to start tightening up the wish lists.

Saw Deftones in Allentown, PA last month. Rocking set! You should also pick up 'Diamond Eyes.' White Pony is great!

Hey Barbarian!! I agree with you guys, Deftones on wax is great. I still remember when their first LP came out, now that was something fresh.

No LP over $4. The Wilson and Hampton were a buck. Blanchard and Harrison were Jazz Messengers originally, these 3 are great albums.

Today's haul was 16 records, but nothing earth-shattering. Several were for the missus. This one for me is spinning now...

Ahhh Bob James. I have an LP with him and Sanborn. He became a real ham later in his career but that LP and the 3 before it are pretty good.

I've been looking for this record, along with another of Ms. DuPre's works. This one is actually my 2nd choice among the two, but it was there at the store. It looked good enough at the store but has very troublesome scratches across the 2nd half of side 1. It was only $4 but I might return it.

I decided to go ahead and return the above record, but here's some of my latest.
    If you don't know Steve Forbert, check him out. Some of this is just junk but at $1.00 each I lower my standards.

Last edited by 02audionoob; 10-30-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Record Show...yes man!!

I spent $80 for 15 LPs today. No re-issues...all original and in VG to NM condition. Most notable are the 3 Marsalis titles...Vol1 - 3 of his Soul Gestures in Southern Blue series. All 3 were still sealed for 5 bucks each!!

I rounded out my Benson collection with his Farrell duo and an original W. Rabbit which I have as a reissue.

The CTI sampler looks interesting, and the rest of them I am sure you guys know already. Oh and the Nelson is super minty. My Halloween is set!!

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I decided to go ahead and return the above record, but here's some of my latest.
    If you don't know Steve Forbert, check him out. Some of this is just junk but at $1.00 each I lower my standards.

]
    Yes, not all junk at all. That's great Metheny LP and of course Marino and Mahogany Rush. Those 2 alone make the haul admirable. As for the ST to Who's that Girl...you can have it!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Yes, not all junk at all. That's great Metheny LP and of course Marino and Mahogany Rush. Those 2 alone make the haul admirable. As for the ST to Who's that Girl...you can have it!
    For me, the Delbert McClinton and the Steve Forbert have been the gems of this haul. With Madonna, she's a seriousness break.

George Benson

I have completed my Benson collection and now have everything that I consider essential. I will now start to find all of his work as a sideman. I have Turrentine's Sugar and Donaldson's Alligator Boogaloo to start.

PC, you don't have Body Talk. IMO it's better than several of the ones you do have. It's without a doubt better than any album he sings on. That includes Breezin' which IMO is extremely overrated. As far as Benson as a sideman goes, just buy most, if not all of the CTI catalog.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Chit, you are right JOe...I have Body Talk but it didn't make it into the pic. It's not filed with the rest so now i am not sure where it is. I knew I was missing something. As for Breezin', yes it's not his greatest but it's a must own unfortuantely. CTI did a ton of reissues for him, same albums with different names and covers. One LP I like is In Flight which alot of jazz purists can't stand. He does a great cover of The World Is A Ghetto which is worth the albums price alone.

Have you heard Alligator Boogaloo? It's a great LP, he really is a master.

Oh and Joe have you heard those Marsalis LPs I bought? I have started ripping them. It was tough to open them, they looked so minty.

A re-issue J. J. Johnson...

Poppa, Love that Oliver Nelson album! one of the first I ever bought on CD.

Noob, J.J. Johnson is great, although I have not heard that album. I love these newer inexpensive jazz reissues: lot of bang for your buck!

Might need a rip of that noob, I will trade you for the 3 marsalis.

A re-issue Art Tatum and Ben Webster...

Dang noob, you're makin some nice jazz pickups. I got a really nice Ron carter that you may like. It has a really interesting line up. Google New York Slick. BTW I have some Webster also...

I see New York Slick on Rhapsody. I'll give it a try after I'm finished with my first pass at today's vinyl.

I'm glad you posted this, chubbs. I'm checking into Red Rodney on Rhapsody.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information