Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Ok this is the last one and then im done...

That John McLaughlin and The Mahavishnu Orchestra is some heavy stuff. Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham on the same recording is scary good. I think those where the years when John was into his Indian spiritual stuff.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Hey Pops hey noob...heres a little heads up for you two....I got word that a album by Paul Desmond was being re-issued again on vinyl after being out of circulation for a while. You can always find it on CD but not on vinyl. So I ordered it about 2 months ago and I had to wait till they got pressed and shipped over to cduniverse. Its a limited pressing and supply. And its only $18 not including shipping, and its 180 gram virgin vinyl. I got my copy yesterday. The album is "First Place Again" and he has Jim Hall with him as always and he has the second half of the "Modern Jazz Quartet" with him as well..that being Percy Heath and Connie Kay. so if you can spare the loot, go ahead a grab a copy while they still have them....cduniverse.com http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as...le=music&rmf=P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Is this where, as a mod, I tell you no double posting? lol. That album looks fantastic. Next record show I plan to search for Desmond Lps. I am good for vinyl for a while. I have some gear considerations now...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Is this where, as a mod, I tell you no double posting? lol. That album looks fantastic. Next record show I plan to search for Desmond Lps. I am good for vinyl for a while. I have some gear considerations now...
    Oh sorry about the double post wont do it again...IF you run across it, snatch it up.

Any of you folks ever have someone who you're so hooked on that you'd get this much of her stuff?

shhh...don't tell Mrs. Noob.

When you're buying VHS tapes, you know it's the real thing.

I bought that VHS tape back when it was current technology.

Great score...

Guys these are all fantastic. Fidelity wise the "Incantation" LP is off the charts. It's traditional S.American music featuring heavy guitar and pan flute. Gorgeous sound. The top one in the first pic is Peter Tosh. The Segovia is a Decca Gold Label in excellent condition. It tracks really, really nicely. Any of you guys have experience with gold label?

Forum Regular
    My wife and I both love the "Talking Heads". Great lyrics!

Quote Originally Posted by tube fan
    My wife and I both love the "Talking Heads". Great lyrics!

The copy I got is really clean, sounds great. Super nice production on that.

I stopped by and did a little record shopping on the way home from work, today. For the princely sum of $12.99, including tax, I took home this batch of classical that all went to the clearance bin yesterday, according to the date on the tags. That one front and center, Karen Bella, is the exception...not classical. I bought it on a whim because it's local to Dallas.

noob, how do you select your claasical? Are you familiar with the music, or do you just go with composer.

It's a bit of both. With this batch, there were 15 total records. They were all from the big name composers and noteworthy works by those composers, so I took 11 of them. I left behind the Domingo and Caruso performances, as well as a Mendelssohn and something else I don't remember.

I will often take a chance on composers I don't know as well if the perormance features a well-known musician I know I like. I discovered I like Haydn because of taking a chance on a Wynton Marsalis record and Elgar because I found a Jacqueline Du Pre record.

I do like to have the most famous works of all time, even multiple performances of them. I don't have a great many of those cases, but certainly several among Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler and a handful of others in the top tier. I also sometimes like to explore a composer's influences or proteges. With all those considerations, it's about like my approach to jazz. One day I'm listening to Brubeck and then suddenly I realize I've "discovered" Desmond.

Forum Regular
    Getz also made dozens of great vinyl records.

The best of today's clearance-bin digging:

Or maybe this one is the winner. It's Ray Brown, Joe Sample and Shelley Manne...

Last edited by 02audionoob; 08-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Forum Regular
    I have the three vinyl, but not the "rocking the filmore". This is simply a GREAT thread!!!

Nice grab noob, you probably recall I scored that Humble Pie in NM condition. Personally I love that LP, and I am partial to the entire Filmore E/W series.

As for The Three, with Ray Brown in the line up, you're guaranteed a good LP. Have you listened yet? Is it a good candidate for a rip?

I have the three vinyl, but not the "rocking the filmore". This is simply a GREAT thread!!!
    Glad you like it. There's only a few of us who keep it afloat, so please join us, by all means. If you read page 1, you'll see it was actually audionoob who suggested we use it to display our vinyl pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Nice grab noob, you probably recall I scored that Humble Pie in NM condition. Personally I love that LP, and I am partial to the entire Filmore E/W series.

As for The Three, with Ray Brown in the line up, you're guaranteed a good LP. Have you listened yet? Is it a good candidate for a rip?
    I like it pretty well. Recording to WAV right now.

Getz also made dozens of great vinyl records.
    Check out pages 6 and 7 in this thread...and post 'em if you got 'em.

Well guys, I dropped $50 at a shop on the other side of town. Turns out they have a great jazz selection. I really dug. I even did some crate diving. After an hour I came out with these.

Sorry about the bad pic. The top two are Red Rodney, I picked them for the supporting cast including Ray Brown, Philly Jones, Elvin Jones, Shelly Manne, Tommy Flanagan and others.

The Perlman/Previn have the same line up on both LPs, bought for Jim Hall's appearance. Also on those is Shelly Manne and Red Mitchell.

These are all pretty self explanatory. I took a roll with the Al Cohn, but with Herb Ellis accompanying, I can't see how it won't be great.

BTW frenchie, they had a couple of Mose Allison LPs. A beautiful NM double LP on Prestige simply titled Allison. Have you heard that one? They wanted $30.

My next trip back I'll be picking up JJ JOhnson and Kai Winding, they had it half off so I put it on hold. Only $12. That's a classic...

Good score. Did you know for a time touring the south, Red Rodney was past off and featured as Albino Red in Parkers band? He was the only white man in Charlie Parker band...and in the south, they would not like a white man in a black band so they had to feature him as Albino Red.

I dont recall ever listening to that one. But Mose is truly a living legend. He has his own style and no one, I mean no one can sound like him. He has written hundreds of tunes and has a very large following across the musical spectrum, and has influenced many including the great Jimmy Hendrix....and hundreds of musicians have recorded his music, and he has played with many Jazz and blues stars. Stan Getz is one such giant that comes to mind. The man was simply born to write and play his style of music.

I dont know Kai Winding. Let me know what you think.

Made some pick ups today. All original, all near mint. I put on hold another JJ and Kai put out on Bethlehem Records. It's a beautiful cover.

Another fine score Pops...I have that Desmond in my collection....let me know what the Johnson sounds like...and whos playing on those albums with him?

JJ is a big band style for which he uses 3 configurations of players...

(A) Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Jerome Richardson, tenor sax, baritone sax, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

(B) Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Ray Beckenstein, baritone sax, bass clarinet, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

(C) Jimmy Maxwell, Joe Wilder, trumpets; Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, Tom Mitchell, bass trombones; Jimmy Buffington, French horn; Bill Stanley, tuba; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Harvey Estrin, soprano sax, alto sax, clarinet, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet; Budd Johnson, baritone sax, bass clarinet; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

Produced by Jack Somer
    Recording engineer: Mickey Crofford
    Recorded at Webster Hall, New York City on December 7 (A), 8 (B) and 9 (C), 1964
    Arranged by Oliver Nelson (2), Gary McFarland (3 & 9), Tom McIntosh (10 & 11) and J.J. Johnson (all others).

Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna
    Remixed in 24-bit from the original three-track tapes and mastered by Mark Wilder, Sony Studios

Trombone for Two

J. J. Johnson & Kai Winding, trombones, Dick Katz, piano; Paul Chambers (#1-10), Milt Hinton (#11-15), Bill Crow (#16-20), bass; Osie Johnson (#1-10), Shadow Wilson (#11-15), Kenny Clarke (#16-20), drums.
    Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio on June 23, 1955 (#2, 5, 7, 8 & 10), June 24, 1955 (#1, 3, 4, 6 & 9), November 17, 1955 (#11-15) and July 18, 1956 (#16-20).

Candido Camero, bongos is added on track 12.
    Johnson and Winding play tromboniums on track 16

JJ in Person

Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Nat Adderly (cornet); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Wilbur Little (bass); Albert Heath (drums).

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information