Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    oooooooo!!! Nice pick up noob! I bet it sounds awesome on that deck of yours.

Indeed it does. I've always thought my system was just made for trumpet. You should hear Wynton Marsalis on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Indeed it does. I've always thought my system was just made for trumpet. You should hear Wynton Marsalis on it.
    noob if there's one thing I would LOVE to do, it's hear your system. I know what you mean regarding trumpet. My Sound Dynamics are particularily excellent for brass in general, fun, realistic and exciting. The Missions tone things down in the top end but add alot of mid tone which gives off presence I find.

Off topic, when do you think you might come back up here? I do have an aunt in Texas, but I will not be visiting her. FLA is the closest I would realistically come to TX, and that's not close. If you come back up to MI, I could come and pick you up and bring you here for a night. Heck bring the wifey too, you guys can stay with us. Lots of food, wine, conversation and music in this house. Let me know.

BTW, add some more Hubbard to your collection if you're enjoying trumpet.

I love seeing and hearing you guys discover music I grew up with.

BTW: Bee-Bop was first (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie etc.) then came "The Birth Of The Cool". Mile's changed the face of Jazz a second time with *****es Brew.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I love seeing and hearing you guys discover music I grew up with.

BTW: Bee-Bop was first (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie etc.) then came "The Birth Of The Cool". Mile's changed the face of Jazz a second time with *****es Brew.
    Me too. I sit back and look at the albums
    PoppaC displays and know what it sounds like. Most of the Jazz I've heard and much of the rock....Like the Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live....I use to own that on vinyl. Its fun...sometimes they help me to remember albums I had long forgot. The same with some of the vintage gear...I remember much of it from back in the day.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    noob if there's one thing I would LOVE to do, it's hear your system. I know what you mean regarding trumpet. My Sound Dynamics are particularily excellent for brass in general, fun, realistic and exciting. The Missions tone things down in the top end but add alot of mid tone which gives off presence I find.

Off topic, when do you think you might come back up here? I do have an aunt in Texas, but I will not be visiting her. FLA is the closest I would realistically come to TX, and that's not close. If you come back up to MI, I could come and pick you up and bring you here for a night. Heck bring the wifey too, you guys can stay with us. Lots of food, wine, conversation and music in this house. Let me know.

BTW, add some more Hubbard to your collection if you're enjoying trumpet.
    Thanks for the invitation. I'll figure out a way to get within striking distance, some way or another.

The Beatles - Love Songs
    The cover has taken a beating which is a shame. Faux leather with gold stamping, quite nice when new I'm sure. Anyhow, I paid 2 bucks. The 2 LPs are 180g and in excellent condition. It also has a full size lyric book.

Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2, John Lennon Imagine
    The Billy is near mint, both cover and LPs. The Lennon has a worn cover but again, nice LP.

Art Farmer...

Art Farmer...

The other half of Golson for years.....Good one noob. Looks like a new score as apposed to used? Never saw that cover before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

frenchie, are you familiar with Mosaic? They release the discontinued stuff. That Lee Morgan I gave you was a Mosaic compilation. Check this out, gorgeous...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAUL-DESMOND-COMP...item255bcbdeb7

frenchie, are you familiar with Mosaic? They release the discontinued stuff. That Lee Morgan I gave you was a Mosaic compilation. Check this out, gorgeous...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAUL-DESMOND-COMP...item255bcbdeb7
    I have John Klemmer on Mosaic....Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ok PoppaC....I've just bidded and I was outbid...I hate playing those games when the reserve is not met and you dont know what the top bid is.. I wont bid again. Thanks any way.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 07-15-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Got these at the thrift...

Gee PC! I have 3 Bill Cosby LP's. I usually don't admit it. I claim I wasn't responsible back then due to chemical influences.

Is A Very Funny Fellow
    I Started Out As A Child
    Revenge

That Benson at Carnagie Hall is one I've not found on vinyl. I'm still looking though.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Gee PC! I have 3 Bill Cosby LP's. I usually don't admit it. I claim I wasn't responsible back then due to chemical influences.

Is A Very Funny Fellow
    I Started Out As A Child
    Revenge

That Benson at Carnagie Hall is one I've not found on vinyl. I'm still looking though.

There is nothing worse than shame in loving something Joe. If he makes you laugh, how can it be bad?!? I love Mr. Cosby, he's a comic genius.

The Benson is a CTI original. the performance features Hupert Law. You know I love George Benson. I need an original White Rabbit. It has a gorgeous gatefold, like most CTI LPs did. My Rabbit is a re-issue.

Hey Pops you may just have to wire me some of that Benson.

I love Cosby....you ever heard of Dolemite? Rudy Ray Moore? Totally different from Cosby. IF you can find his stuff you will laugh. He is more in line with Red Foxx and RIchard Pryor, only he was before those guy's...well not Foxx, but I think Pryor.

frenchie, you didn't notice the Metheny?!? I've got about 15 Benson LPs but still neeed a couple more to complete what I feel is essential.

CTI used to sell some of those covers as "museum(?)" quality posters. I've only got one. George Benson, Body Talk. I had it professionally framed and it's been hanging in my listening room for 20+ years. I should have bought more when they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    The other half of Golson for years.....Good one noob. Looks like a new score as apposed to used? Never saw that cover before.
    This is a new 180g record. I've got some coupons for Half-Price Books, so this one and the Lee Morgan record cost me under ten bucks each with tax. I've got another coupon that isn't good until Sunday. I plan to use it on another 180g jazz record...maybe one of the singers, this time. They have Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. They also have Birth of the Cool, so that's an option.

frenchie, you didn't notice the Metheny?!? I've got about 15 Benson LPs but still neeed a couple more to complete what I feel is essential.
    Oh yeah...I notice every album you post...you guys take me down memory lane. Is that a new score? I have that same one on vinyl and it sound better on vinyl than on CD. So much more cohesiveness. If you haven't played it yet, play it and let me know what you think....those Missons are not known to be sterol but have passion...Methenys going to set them on fire.

Pops...ever find any Andrew Hill or Archie Shepp on CTI? IF you do, grab it...good stuff.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 07-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.

This is a new 180g record. I've got some coupons for Half-Price Books, so this one and the Lee Morgan record cost me under ten bucks each with tax. I've got another coupon that isn't good until Sunday. I plan to use it on another 180g jazz record...maybe one of the singers, this time. They have Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. They also have Birth of the Cool, so that's an option.
    All good choices. I find it kinda hard to find a good Holiday recording. Bakers got some very good stuff out...he did a lots of kool jazz, but I like him doing hard bop the most If you can find his "Pacific Jazz Years" you would have a lot of his stuff with plenty of hard bop.. It takes a real music lover to really get into Sarah....I love her. Another good one if you can find it would be a Charlie Haden and his group "Quartet West". All of those are excellent, but if you can find the album or CD called "The Art of Song" with Shirly Horn and Bill Henderson, snatch it up in a heart beat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Birth of the Cool is one that can lose you...you really gotta pay attention.

They only have something like 16 selections on the rack, so I'm almost tempted to get all of them. Just going by memory, I think these are among them.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

I use to have that Lady in Satin on vinyl years ago...but I could have sworn it was Duke Ellington rather than Ray Ellis?

Taking a little time out...

Swell pic, and LP. But you knew that...(sum'v'a....)

No seriously, most excellent.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information