How do you align your cartridge?

A protractor that came with a turntable? or with a cartridge? Or a separate one that you bought, like the Geo-Disc? Baerwald? Stevenson? Let the dealer do it? I drew this in AutoCAD and can now achieve near-perfect Baerwald alignment on my Rega in literally 2 or 3 minutes. It doesn't actually require both points. The first one nails it and the 2nd one is maybe useful as a check.

What say you AR? How do you align your cartridge?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I use the MoFi Geodisc which I have owned for more years than I can remember. I have aligned many cartridges on many turntables using the Geodisc. It easily sets overhang and offset angle in one easy procedure. Once you set the sight line to the tonearms pivot point all you have to do is move the tonearm over to the grid. Once over the grid just move the cartridge until the stylus is in the little indentation and then twist the cartridge until it is parallel to the grid. No other points to check you are all set.

The following link shows a great idea to make aligning a cartridge easier and more accurate. I first became aware of this from a post made by JRA.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/schon_e.html

Just my thoughts.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I use a 30 year old DB Systems protractor. It's finicky, fiddly and a PITA to use but it works well.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Been using a Geodisc since 1982. Makes the whole process much more streamlined and consistent compared to other approaches. Those cardboard alignment grids don't work nearly as well. I've seen cases where you're supposed to cut the back page from the owner's manual, cut along the dotted line, and use that as the alignment guide!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thread Information