Hell of a substitute.

Printable View

• 11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Hell of a substitute.
    Well fellows, the buyer for my 20 something VPI left an hour or so ago. I've had to pull my old standby out of the closet. I'll be using a Micro Seiki DQ-43 that's been sitting in a closet for the last 8 years or so. After dusting it of and doing a little cleaning it looks pretty good. It has a gorgeous Rosewood plinth and a MA-707 arm. I installed a Shure V-15-IV and it sounds quite good. I'm spinning Donny Hathaway Live as I write this and it sounds damn good. I'll be "forced" to use this while I get some more funding for the Oracle I want.
    I've had this TT since the early 80's and it has always worked flawlessly. I fired it up today and it came up to speed immediately. It's holding rock steady at 33 1/3. The platter is so smooth it's hard to tell it's spinning unless you get up close.

Damn it sure is a looker! Sometimes you really don't realize how nice something is. It's one of the best buys I've ever made. It's right up there with the Accuphase T-101 I bought about the same time. The tuner has never been put away so I don't appreciate it as much as I should. Maybe I should put it in a closet for a couple of years. NOT!!!
  • 11-17-2009, 02:52 AM
    poppachubby
    :17: I must have ice in my veins because I don't feel too bad for you. It's great you can sit comfortably on the Seiki while you drum up funds for your new table, perfect! Is there a specific table you have picked out? Post a link so we can see it Joe...
  • 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Hey PC, I wasn't complaining. If anything I was marveling at how good the DQ-43 looks and sounds.
    I'm saving my dollars for an Oracle. See the link below. I'm looking for a used Delphi MK IV with no arm.

http://oracle-audio.com/product_delphimkv.html
  • 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Hey PC, I wasn't complaining. If anything I was marveling at how good the DQ-43 looks and sounds.
    I'm saving my dollars for an Oracle. See the link below. I'm looking for a used Delphi MK IV with no arm.

http://oracle-audio.com/product_delphimkv.html

Oh I know you weren't. I was bustin balls as dryly as I possibly could. Envy perhaps? Nah. The good envy if anything, it's nice to see you're arriving at your ultimate audio destination. I know I have a while to go yet. The table looks nothing short of amazing. I will have to stop by, we can spin some vinyl and drink imports.

BTW, did you see the post of my TT connects upgrade? It was alot of work but turned out great. The bass improvement is quite audible and it's extra quiet. I will let some time pass and do the Technics next I think. Do you think it could be improved with some silver core?
  • 11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Wow.

How about a pic of your MS?
    I tried to search it on the Google images, but I somehow ended up with pictures of 14 yr old Taiwanese girl. Very strange...

Gotta loveTTs made by the Micro Precion Machines (That's what Micro Seiki means).

I don't want to take away the excitement, but what tonearm are you considering for the Oracle?

Have Fun,

JRA
  • 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
    JohnMichael
    Ya pictures I want pictures. In my youth the few Micro Seiki I saw were works of art. Oh and the Oracles are pretty.
  • 11-18-2009, 07:30 AM
    frenchmon
    Dag gonet!!! That's a nice table. Have you had a chance to listen to any of the other stuff like the Oracle amps and speakers? And oh yeah....we want pictures of the MS.

frenchmon
  • 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Hi guys!
    I don't have a digital camera. I'm still using a Nikon F2. I guess I'm sort of a Luddite. I'm going to borrow my brother's digital camera and get a shot of the DQ to post.

I have attached a picture of the arm I'm thinking of. It's an Advanced Audio MG-1

I haven't heard any of Oracle's othe rproducts. I have a friend with an Oracle TT, Levinson amp and preamp and Maggy MG-20's

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...newtonearm.jpg
  • 11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

I guess I'm sort of a Luddite.

Now that's funny! That's a crazy looking arm. What kind of regular maintenance has to be done with it? Also, aside from the stylus, how many parts need replacement from wear? Man, you must be excited. How long til you hit your budget goal?
  • 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
    JoeE SP9
    There's really nothing to wear. It's an air bearing arm. The air pump is probably the only thing that has any real wear. The cap on the end of the bearing tube (silver tube) comes off, so it's very easy to change arms by sliding the arm off the tube. I plan on having two. Once you set an arm up you can swap them in a minute or so with no adjusting. The arm is much less expensive than a used Oracle. I thought I had one in my price range lined up but it's already been sold. It was around $1700. The others I've been looking at are newer models (a good thing) and are running around $2500 or more. most have an arm on them but I don't want to pay for an arm I'm not going to use.
  • 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
    hifitommy
    i dont see a problem selling an arm you dont need
    whatever comes on a used tt can easily be removed and the market for arms on the used market is pretty snappy if they arent overpriced. so it seems if the potential recovered cash of the unwanted arm brings the price overall to where you want to be.

i think that airbearing arm may just be the catsass.
  • 11-21-2009, 01:08 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

I have attached a picture of the arm I'm thinking of. It's an Advanced Audio MG-1

Way cool looking arm! I've favored linear arms since buying the Souther in '84. :)

rw
  • 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
    hifitommy
    i've had a couple
    actually, i still have two. i used a rabco st4 for years and loved it until i heard its wow and flutter. i enjoyed my pioneer phase linear equivalent except for the fact its not as revealing as a grace 707.

the maplenoll athena need resurrection. it is just VIVID. i am limping by with my sota/mmt setup for now.
  • 11-22-2009, 06:07 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hifitommy
    whatever comes on a used tt can easily be removed and the market for arms on the used market is pretty snappy if they arent overpriced. so it seems if the potential recovered cash of the unwanted arm brings the price overall to where you want to be.

i think that airbearing arm may just be the catsass.

I agree with you. I won't hesitate to pull the trigger when the right one comes up, arm or no arm. Until then the DQ-43 will do.

Limping with a SOTA/MMT!!!
  • 11-22-2009, 06:09 AM
    poppachubby
    Morning Joe, just signing off. The Golden Tube is bound for Canada on Nov.30th!!
  • 11-22-2009, 06:25 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Hey PC. Have you decided what speakers to try first?
  • 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM
    poppachubby
    No, I'm still awash in options. Defnitely looking hard at horn based. I am waiting for membership approval from the Yahoo Golden Tube group. I'm hoping it will be a Shangri-La of ideas...
  • 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Watch out for the guy who says he's Ronald Coleman!