• 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM
    RGA
    Have you DIY guys seen the BIX turntable?
    I gotta say it looks sweet for reasonable money. My long term plan is the Audio Note Turntable 1 http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=399 Since only the lotto winners can get the TT3 http://www.audiolimits.com/html/body_analog.html

But the BIX looks quite neat...a little suspect on the warranty but still it's gorgeous to look at http://www.bottlehead.com/et/bix/bix.htm
  • 04-04-2004, 10:27 PM
    I saw the same thing here:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diy_kits/bix.html

The TT does look very familiar...something about it...
  • 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM
    RGA
    The TT1 is ~$850.00US so the BIX looks reasonable...but then you have to factor in the shipping duties - and it's out of my price range...plus I'd have to build it...since turntables are kind of picky about build I'd have to pass. But it looks like a reasonable deal - and it looks like a mega buck unit.
  • 04-05-2004, 12:15 PM
    dbrahms
    looks very nice...however i am turned off by the $125 shipping cost. That is nuts
  • 04-05-2004, 12:16 PM
    Sealed
    Origin live
    Origin Live also does kits.

http://www.turntable-kits.com/1-turntable.htm

Prices are good also.
  • 04-05-2004, 12:38 PM
    125 bux for shipping? thats pretty steep considering its really not THAT heavy, and the box isnt very big. I think they are double dipping.

Does the TT1 come with an arm or is it just the table?
  • 04-05-2004, 04:38 PM
    gonefishin
    Hi guys,

The BIX does look to be one of the nicer DIY turntable kits out there, tho I have not heard it. Something to keep in mind regarding shipping from Doc Bottlehead. This is the same exact kit provided by Brian Cherry at DIYHiFiSupply. It's also priced the same as the BIX table is at DIYHiFiSupply. Considering DIYHiFiSupply is located in HongKong someone has got to pick up the shipping charges ;) It's much like DIYCable carrying the DIYHiFiSupply tube amps, they are kind of the US distributer for the tube amps...but they still have to get the amps here, to the US, somehow.
    Tho I haven't heard the BIX diy TT kit. I have heard a number of their tube amp kits and preamp kit. To make this short...the tube amps kits are well designed, look great, have GREAT support and sound amazing...especially for the money. Not to mention these things have a sort of cult following with several qualified people sharing their tweaks for these amps (that's circuit design tweaks).

Love to hear from someone who has tried the kit! But I just wanted you guys to know why the shipping charge was more than expected.

take care>>>>>>
  • 04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
    RGA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 92135011
    125 bux for shipping? thats pretty steep considering its really not THAT heavy, and the box isnt very big. I think they are double dipping.

Does the TT1 come with an arm or is it just the table?

I think the TT1 comes complete with Audio Note Arm and Audio Note cartridge and of course Auddio Note cabling. LOL. They revamped the Snells, the table is based off of Systemdek II, the Arms are tweaked up re-cabled Rega's.

Here is the review - it won Turntable of the year in Britain 2 years in a row 2002 and 2003. http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/w...003_an_tt1.pdf need pdf

You said those AN J Spe speakers were $2500.00Cdn right? Man I found the US list is $2950US or $3875.00Cdn.

Man oh man the temptation.
  • 04-06-2004, 12:07 AM
    RGA, its really tempting for me too, but I know if I keep upping the price, I'll be at the AN/E price in no time! However, the stand is definately gonna add some extra cost. Where else you going to get a 15 inch stand right?

TT1 seems to come with an upgraded Rega 250.
    I think when it comes to arms, Rega 300 is much better than the 250, well better known anyway.

BTW, there is a post for you in AA
  • 04-07-2004, 10:22 AM
    RGA
    Quote:

RGA, its really tempting for me too, but I know if I keep upping the price, I'll be at the AN/E price in no time! However, the stand is definately gonna add some extra cost. Where else you going to get a 15 inch stand right?

TT1 seems to come with an upgraded Rega 250.
    I think when it comes to arms, Rega 300 is much better than the 250, well better known anyway.

BTW, there is a post for you in AA

Audio Note has a tweaked RB 300 as well - the Arm 1 comes with the TT1. The Arm 2(Rega 300) comes with TT2. But you could change it out. Perhaps ordering it with the Arm 2 for the differece. Don't know. This will be my last upgrade because my Nad is a Rega 2(made by Rega with the Rega 250 arm).

I'm not as interested in a power amp - my Sugden will work well in that duty...and upgrade to the pre is my intention...either with a new integrated or preamp add-on.

I'm wondering if Soundhounds would let me upgrade to the AN J giving me 100% of what I paid for the K to put towrd them - that to me is more important than the preamp. I know one dealer allwos this upgrade for a year. Hmmm.
  • 04-07-2004, 10:34 AM
    RGA,
    Dont forget what you always say....listen...then buy...
    Whats the point of spending another grand if YOU dont hear an audible difference?

BTW, dont forget to factor in those weird 15 inch stands
  • 04-07-2004, 02:10 PM
    RGA
    Quote:

RGA,
    Dont forget what you always say....listen...then buy...
    Whats the point of spending another grand if YOU dont hear an audible difference?

BTW, dont forget to factor in those weird 15 inch stands

Well of course I would listen. More bass will be the difference - but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Yes those bloody stands will run a good $400.00Cdn...assuming they're a deal.

My speakers scared me today. I had themon as background music while typing and Sarah McLachlan's new album had a track(7) with a bass line freaked me out...floorshaker. And then going to Loreena McKenitt's Elemental from the first triangle prestine highs...If the J's don't lose anything and gain depth then I want to hear em. Steven Rochlin seemed to like the J Spe better than the basic E - interesting.
  • 04-07-2004, 05:48 PM
    You have any idea how low the Js hit at the corners?
    And with the stand, I'm pretty sure you can talk that down a bit more. I think accessories like stands are generally even more heavily marked up than speakers.

I would guess that the silver spe wire that the Js use provide the detail that the copper wire in the E/D doesnt have. More bass at the cost of everything else. Rather have the detail.

You know the difference in cost between the J spe and the E/D?
  • 04-07-2004, 08:20 PM
    RGA
    Quote:

You have any idea how low the Js hit at the corners?
    And with the stand, I'm pretty sure you can talk that down a bit more. I think accessories like stands are generally even more heavily marked up than speakers.

I would guess that the silver spe wire that the Js use provide the detail that the copper wire in the E/D doesnt have. More bass at the cost of everything else. Rather have the detail.

You know the difference in cost between the J spe and the E/D?

The E/D they were selling for $2000.00CDN but they sold out of them. The dealer said the J Spe sounded better. The J is rated to 25hz -6d but not sure if that's optimized for the corner or not. For me it would go in a corner.

Later this month I might head down and listen to my K versus the J and see. Both are Spe. I don't think I'll do it...my speakers are plenty bass strong. Plus I need a job this summer...2 years from now I''m going to Japan...maybe make some money there and come back for the AN E /SE (LOL) - Have three across the front and K's in rear with a music home theater system to make the GOds happy. Just need to marry that rich Japanese girl. :-)

Hmm, COme to think of it I could then buy the Audio Note Japan gear...they make Audio Note UK look like inexpensive in comparison.
  • 05-28-2004, 02:29 PM
    Hulagu
    Audio Note tables, arm
    The Audio Note TT1 (improved Systemdek 900x) is sold for 850 retail without a tone arm. Audio Note designed the suspension to mate perfectly with the ARM1 or ARM2. The ARM1 is a rewired RB250 and the ARM2 is a rewired RB300. The ARM1 uses entry level AN copper wire and the ARM2 uses pure silver wire, not their highest grade, that terminates into a silver AN RCA.

I was told the primary advantage of the Audio Note arms over rewired arms like Origin Live is that Rega actually keeps Audio Note wire on hand and assembles the arm specifically for Audio Note. They are not stock arms bought in bulk when then have to be taken apart to be rewired. Every time you handle the arm you risk damaging bearings. I would suggest that the ARM2 (RB300 with AN silver wire and silver termination) plus a Michell counterweight is the way to go.

The retail price for the ARM2 is 599, I think. So, a TT1/ARM2 rig retails for 1450. That is the rig I have along with the Michell weight with a Dynavector DV20XH; cannot be beat for the price. I'd have to buy a 2000 dollar table.....plus arm...to get a meaningful performance improvement.

The Bix looks like a good deal if one desires a non-suspended turntable with a fully independent motor. The independent motor is useful, to me, because it give you the flexibility to substitute another motor in case the stock one fails and cannot be easily repaired/replaced. The Bix is a nice alternative to the Audio Note TT1 for about the same money landed.