DMK
    Forum Regular

Ever buy a new live CD and discover...

...that you were there at the gig? I just bought a new jazz CD - "Bob's Pink Cadillac" by the William Parker Clarinet Trio with Perry Robinson and Walter Perkins that was recorded at the club Tonic in NYC's Lower East Side and, yes, I was in the audience. The music was alive and natural and adventurous.

I don't recall the boomy bass or spray can cymbals at the live gig that I hear on the CD. This is just another example of the numerous and offensive shortcomings of CD's. Man, I wish they had put this music on vinyl! Oh, well we're stuck with flat and one dimensional for now not to mention tonally and timbrally compromised. Jazzman Eric Dolphy was prescient when he said his famous words: "When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone, in the air. You can never capture it again". It appears that you sure can't capture it again on CD! Grrrrrr....!

Well, at least what there is of the music on this disc is still excellent!

Forum Regular

I was at that same gig!

Didn't know they made a recording. Where were you sitting? I got there a little late and had to stand by the bar.

As for the sound of CD's, well... they have great potential! When I realize my potential as a guitarist, I'll be Joe Pass. When CD's reach their potential, they'll sound like vinyl! So I figure, why wait? Just buy vinyl

Ahem... I hope CD's sound more accurate before I sound like Joe Pass. That could be a loooooooooong wait!

DMK
    Forum Regular
    Hey, RB! Long time no see. Thought you bailed.

I probably saw you there and didn't realize it! I was on the left side about 3-4 rows back, right in front of Perry Robinson. It was a great night! Walter Perkins showed how a quality musician can adapt to any situation, he being steeped in the mainstream and moving "out" a bit with this set. I did think he tried too hard to insert "avant gardisms" into his solo and was a bit too bent on following Parker's lead rather than staking his own claim during Robinson's soloing but overall I thought he played well. How did you like it? Buy the CD and grit your teeth and while you're gritting your teeth, repeat this mantra: The music's the most important thing, the music's the most important thing, the music....
    Ah heck, we've all been told how accurate the CD is. It must have been the recording or the mastering or the RE was on drugs or the moon was too full or the sun got in his eyes - ANYTHING but the CD!

Someone on this site (Skeptic, if memory serves) once posted that it found it funny that vinyl freaks are so prone to mentioning how they prefer vinyl while digiphiles seldom if ever brag about the sound they get. The answer to that is - they have nothing to brag about!!!!!

Thread Information