• 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
    Enochrome
    Dual 505-3 & Ortofon OMB 20
    Anyone got any info/opinion on the Dual 505-3 ?

Also, any audible difference between the Ortofon OMB 20 & the Super OM20?

---I need to buy more vinyl than equipment :frown2: :out: :lol:

Cheers.
  • 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
    Enochrome
    What ???

No one know's anything about the difference between the Ortofon OMB20 and the Super OM20, sonically? I got a OMB20 with a TT I just bought, and I am wondering if I should upgrade.

Cheers
  • 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
    poppachubby
    Enjoy your OMB-20, when it dies...upgrade if the SuperOM series is still available. The difference would be not worth the bother in my opinion.
  • 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
    02audionoob
    The B is the bulk model, an OEM variant of the OM. The Super OM is a slight upgrade to the OM.
  • 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
    I've only heard it briefly (the non-b version), but it's an OK cartridge, especially for a comparable TT.

Just wondering, what 'table did it come with?
  • 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
    Enochrome
    Thanks guys!!

Nightflier,thanks for asking, it came with a Dual 505-3. It seems like a very nice budget table. I like that it is suspended and semi-auto. It will be my main table, while i work on the project table, a Luxman PD272 (i have to fix/replace the RCA's).

Cheers
  • 03-12-2010, 05:51 AM
    02audionoob
    To answer your questions asking for opinions...I too think the 505-3 is a very nice budget turntable. I think it's elegant-looking and I generally like the Dual sound with those ULM tonearms. And an opinion on the OMB20...I wouldn't upgrade. The 20 stylus is nice and I think it represents the sweet spot for that line of styli, with regard to value and quality. One thing you might want to do, though...if you can get access to a good microscope, try to confirm your current stylus isn't worn and in need of replacement.
  • 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM
    Enochrome
    Thanks for the advice Audionoob!!!

Just got back into to town from San Francisco. While there, I went to a great music store called "Down Home Music". They have a kick ass vinyl section, which has a lot of original Arhoolie label LP's (the Arhoolie label is right next door). If you are ever traveling there (it's actually in El Cerrito) you must stop by. Actually, there is quite a few vinyl stores in the city.

I need some more advice. I found that the problem with my Luxman is no sound was coming out of the the left channel. So, i took it upon myself to soder new rca's. After I finished (which was learning experience) , and now the right one won't work. What gives??

Thanks