DUAL 1254 Help needed

To make a long story short, I have a Technics SL-23 semi auto tabl that works just fine however, my wife want to be able to play LP's but has nerve damage in her arm that does not allow her to carfully move the arm to the right position to lower the arm to the record. So, I found a fully auto table so all she has to do is hit the switch. I want to replace the existing cartridge wuth an Audio Technica AT440 MLa but cant figure out how to remove the headshell. I guess I should have thought about this before I bought a Dual. With Technics it is just screw on, screw off. It doesn't appear that the Dual has that option. I can not locate an owners manual anywhere on the net.

Anyone have any options or opinions to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Aging Smartass
    Almost all Duals have a removable headshell of sorts (more like a "cartridge-mount" than a headshell). It's removed by moving the finger lift towards you, and then the mount will easily come off the tonearm. You reinstall the mount by firmly positioning it in place, and then swinging back the finger lift towards the tonearm pivot (away from you) to lock it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Almost all Duals have a removable headshell of sorts (more like a "cartridge-mount" than a headshell). It's removed by moving the finger lift towards you, and then the mount will easily come off the tonearm. You reinstall the mount by firmly positioning it in place, and then swinging back the finger lift towards the tonearm pivot (away from you) to lock it in place.
    I have tried to move the finger lift backward, forward but to no avail. It doesn't seem to want to move in either direction. I do admit however, I didn't try to move/push too hard, I didn't want to break it. Maybe I should just try to find an auto Technics...maybe an SL-1300 or 1600. At least the headshell is a simple screw on, screw off...no problem.

Thanks anyway.

Randy

Thread Information