Audio Enthusiast

Digitizing my vinyl - Sound card recommendations

I thoroughly enjoy listening to the vinyl formats while in my listening space at home. However, I've also been making digital copies my vinyl collection these past few years so that I can listen to my favorite selections while driving (16bit WAV on CD) and MP3 for my iPod while cycling or travelling by airline.

I have a windows based PC connected to my audio system through the tape monitor circuit and I use Audacity or CDWave to create the digital files.

However, the onboard sound card, recently failed. So I was forced to replace it with a sound card. I purchased a Diamond Xtreme Sound PCI card from my local computer store.

What I've noticed since the replacement is a distinct degradation in sound quality of my digital conversions compared to some of my older conversions that used the old onboard sound card.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good aftermarket sound card? Most of them are designed for gaming or home theater. Are there any recommendations from my friends here in the Analog Forum that are good for sonic quality?

Any recommendations would be appreciated....

Thanks!

I've always been happy with the quality of my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy MP3 cards. We have three computers. There's an Audigy in each.

Suspended
    Ditto. As a matter of fact, I think I'm soon going to setup my standby stereo in my computer room and copy a few more albums. I use a Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs which includes s/w that helps to reduce the pops, cracks and clicks during the recording.

Forum Regular
    If you want to go a little higher up the ladder you might try somthing like this...Great piece of kit!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-Audio-Mobile-Pre-USB-Preamp-And-Audio-Interface_W0QQitemZ230304922540QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item230304922540&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Forum Regular
    If you want quality....then from what I've read...M-audio is the way to go.

Cheers,
    BT

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Top
    If you want quality....then from what I've read...M-audio is the way to go.

Cheers,
    BT
    Exactly, M Audio has some really good soundcards (approaching recording studio quality) for a reasonable price. You can add Emu to that list also.

You can pick up an Emu 1212v2 for about $150 or an M Audio 192 for about $180. Both are PCI based and have 2 analog I/O and digital I/O, Emu having more capability.

Paul

Thread Information