Thread: More Kab Stuff

More Kab Stuff

For my Technics SL-1210 M5G

just ordered from KAB http://kabusa.com/m1200.htm

KAB RC-1200 THREADED RECORD CLAMP

ISONOE SPRING SUSPENSION FOOTERS

ISONOE SORBOTHANE BOOTS (their the black things under the feet)

That will about do it for upgrades for the Technics table
    So far I have from KAB
    Hinge Kit

KAB Super 1/4 platter mat

KAB TD-1200 Tonearm Fluid Damper

And the LP Gear Zupreme Head Shell http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...ode=HEADSHELLS

I will up load actual pics once I get it all finished.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I have a 1210 M5G as well, but the only mod I have is the fluid damper. How much do you feel the other mods improve the table? I am using a V15 III, but find it a bit harsh so I may be upgrading soon. I thought about the tonearm re-wire but could it really be that much better than the technics ofc wiring? Anyway, I am interested in hearing your opinion. I should have just tricked it out to begin with as I had the money at the time and now I worried about my income (oil industry...not looking good).
    jclayton
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 ch
    Sony DVPNS-9100ES DVD/CD/SACD Player
    Technics 1210 M5GSE with fluid damper
    Shure V-15 III cart.
    McIntosh MR78 FM Tuner
    McIntosh C28 pre-amp
    McIntosh MC250 amp
    Klipsch Heresy II speakers

HT
    Harman Kardon DVD/DVD-A/CD/SACD 48
    Harman Kardon AVR 247 Receiver
    Klipsch RF-3 mains
    Klipsch RC-3 center
    Klipsch RS-3 surround
    Klipsch Synergy Sub 10"
    Samsung 40" LCD 1080p

Quote Originally Posted by jclayton
    I have a 1210 M5G as well, but the only mod I have is the fluid damper. How much do you feel the other mods improve the table? I am using a V15 III, but find it a bit harsh so I may be upgrading soon. I thought about the tonearm re-wire but could it really be that much better than the technics ofc wiring? Anyway, I am interested in hearing your opinion. I should have just tricked it out to begin with as I had the money at the time and now I worried about my income (oil industry...not looking good).
    For me the KAB fluid damper and the KAB Super 1/4 platter mat combo was a big improvement as far as the clamp and footers I'll have to do a follow up once I get those installed.
    IMO I doubt those will make a major improvement by by themselves but at minimum a small one, and in combination with the Fluid damper and super mat and head shell that all adds up...a little here a little there makes one big one.
    As for the rewire I seriously doubt it since the M5G already has

High Quality Sound
    Powerful bass and clear sound thanks to High Grade OFC (Oxygen Free Coil) tone arm cable and high-grade stereo PHONO cables.

the Hi-Fi wiring from the factory.

Also see this link: Turntable addition....

Also see this link on the Sound-Smith re-tip I did for my Shure.
    RESURRECTING SHURE V15VxMR
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 12-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Geez Brandon, with all the money you'd invested into your SL, you could've gotten a slightly used VPI Scout. Come on dude, you know DD only adds noise and robs music.

Be sure to let us know once you got to know your mods.

JRA

jclayton,

What headshell do you have?
    Your Shure has high compliance, right?
    If you ever go for a different cartridge with low compliance, be sure to get the Zupreme Headshell. I wouldn't consider tonearm rewire if you got a 1210 M5G. I went with a rewire and junction box just so i can have longer IC than the stock length. Strobe disabler is a joke, and Kevin even admits it offers no audible improvement.

Ok, I have been around vinyl for a while but never heard of the "compliance" of a cartridge. Please enlighten me. As for the headshell, I am just using the standard Technics. I may end up buying a new cart. and putting this one on a sweet SL-1700 I just picked up for $25. All it needed was some deoxit on the pitch controls and a good cleaning and it is awesome. It will go great in the living room. Anyway, any recs. on carts. for my 1210? I guess headshell too?
    jclayton
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 ch
    Sony DVPNS-9100ES DVD/CD/SACD Player
    Technics 1210 M5GSE with fluid damper
    Shure V-15 III cart.
    McIntosh MR78 FM Tuner
    McIntosh C28 pre-amp
    McIntosh MC250 amp
    Klipsch Heresy II speakers

HT
    Harman Kardon DVD/DVD-A/CD/SACD 48
    Harman Kardon AVR 247 Receiver
    Klipsch RF-3 mains
    Klipsch RC-3 center
    Klipsch RS-3 surround
    Klipsch Synergy Sub 10"
    Samsung 40" LCD 1080p

Tonearm Resonance Frequency is more like it.....

I'm not as knowledgeable as others on this topic, but here is what I undestood.

Combination of of below results in a frequency that is usually below audible human range, but may be significant for overall playback.

*Cartridge Compliance
    *Cartridge Weight
    *Tonearm Mass (w/ headshell)

This sub-sonic frequency is one of the determinants when considering trackability of stylus and LP surface. It is said to be ideal to have the frequency between 9-11 Hz. You may want to research on the web, but here is what I recall:

1. Much Higher than 9-11 Hz can result stylus to jump out of groove.
    2. Much Lower than 9-11 Hz can result to excessive rumble and feedback.(not sure on Feedback).

Both extremes are result of unstable tracking, resulting to inferior sound. Makes sense, right? Does to me.
    I think alot of people give up on LP playback due unrealized mismatch such as this...Hmmmmm I'll say no more.

This is link for Tonearm Resonance Frequency Calculator you can use.
    http://www.resfreq.com/resonancecalculator.html

For Example: (my setup)

SL-12XX tonearm mass: 7.5grams
    w/o Stock headshell
    (Stock shell is 4.5g)
    Zupreme headshell: 12 grams
    Nuts, bolts, etc: 0.5gram?
    Shelter 501mk2: 8 grams
    TOTAL: 28 grams
    Cartridge Compliance: 9cu
    Tonearm Resonance Frequency =
    10.026 Hz

I believe V15MR has high compliance, and may not work with high tonearm mass such as mine. But as you know, that little brush/stabilizer is there to tame mistracking so you may not need to worry as much. But if it means anything to ya, I have a M97XE (spec wise similar to M15VR) and found it to sound dreadful, while sounded great on a $20 deck with low tonearm mass.

Your Setup:

SL-1210 tonearm mass: 12grams
    w. Stock headshell

Nuts, bolts, etc: 0.5gram?
    Shure V15MR: 6.5 grams??
    TOTAL: 19 grams
    Cartridge Compliance: 20 to 25cu????
    Tonearm Resonance Frequency =
    8.16Hz to 7.30Hz?????

I love Zupreme Headshell by LP Gear.(Sumiko HS12 is probably made by the same company somewhere...). I love it because I can adjust Azimuth with a little wrench if needed, and it is well made, unlike the stock unit. We ca recommend all kinds of headshells, but you may want to look for a headshell that will suite best for your cartridge spec. Any Aftermarket headshell heavier than the stock unit (4.5g) will result your Tonearm Resonance Frequency to be further away from desired 9-11Hz.

Did it help?
    JRA

Thread Information