***** Lurker

Question Confused about din switch settings

Oh wise ones - on my Jolida phono stage I have no idea if I have the correct settings.

There are eight tiny pairs of switches on the back. The first four are for resistance and the second four are for capacitance. My Eroica Goldring cartridge specifies 150PF for Capicatance so I have that switch (switches actually, there is one for each channel) set to "on." I know that my cartridge also specifies 100 ohm resistance - do I need to have that switch set to "on" as well? I have been happily playing records without that switch activiated.

The layout of the switches is described thusly:

Input Resistance: 100 ohm, 300 Ohm, 1Kohm, 47Kohm Input Capacitance: 47 PF, 100PF, 150PF, 220PF

Again, I only have the 150PF switch activated. If I am not being clear please forgive me. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You would want to set the input resistance to the same value as the cartridge specifies. I would start with 100 ohms and for fun I would try 300 ohms. I do not know if there is a default value if nothing is selected but cartridges need to be loaded with the correct resistance.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Isn't there also a switch for mm, mc1 and mc2...or no? The capacitance isn't going to make any audible difference with an MC cartridge. The resistance will make a small difference, so I'd say flip the 100 Ohm switch on and see what you think. Listen especially for an effect on the highs. Then try 1k and see what you think. I see now JM has suggested trying 300 Ohm, too. Some people prefer settings other than the spec, so they're worth trying.

Thread Information