Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Well poppachubby I have decided to try a turntable weight. Now that I am using the Funk Firm Achroplat I thought now is the time.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/80943

I will let you know what I think of it. The table is sounding better with the ceramic bearing and since the platter is lighter than the Rega glass platter I do not think it will stress the bearing.

When it arrives I will let you know what I think.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

did i neglect to recommend..

http://www.ttweights.com/catalog/ite...92/6999370.htm

not too heavy, and not too costly. $55. my desire is for the periphery ring.
    ...regards...tr

Thanks hifitommy I also found this one at a weight of one pound. Also made from aluminum.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=330335030991

Much to consider.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

only a weight, not a clamp

personally i think clamping is more effective hence the lightweight clamp from france i mentioned (no longer avail).
    ...regards...tr

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Well this is a debate indeed, many think that the clamp will bring up vibrations from the motor/bearing whereas the wieght will not. However the clamp is far more effective in its intended purpose than the weight IMO. I think much depends on table design. I have been using the Clearwater clamp with my Acrylimat *TM 02audionoob2009.

Yes John I would be interested in your feedback. I am getting a Golden Tube amp and hope to be upgrading my TT in good time. I will then be able to come to your upper class turntable tea parties. We will sip the finest tea and laugh at the lower class turntablers.

Since I use the Rega method of play, by not turning off the motor, clamping would be more difficult than quickly lifting the weight at the end of a record. I have become very adept at lifting a record off of the spinning platter.

I do not know if a clamp would transmit vibrations to the record surface on a belt driven table as much as with a direct drive table. The clamp would attach to the motor shaft and any vibrations in the motor would certainly vibrate the clamp.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

you learn by doing

not by speculatiing.
    ...regards...tr

I look forward to listening for any benefits the weight may bring. I ordered the one from E-Bay. The last time I used a clamp was the Souther now Clearaudio Clever Clamp. I only used it briefly since I did not notice enough benefit to continue using it. Depending on the mat used the record could dish out if the clamp was too tight. The weight should work well with the flat and hard surface of the Achroplat. On a vinyl day once I start the table I do not stop it until the last record is played. Rega says the motor will last longer if not turned on and off between sides.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

i dont recommend

the continous motion during record change. IF there is a small fragment of anything, you could permanently ruin an LP. when i used a low torque motor or exceedingly heavy platter i would give the platter a boost spin manuallly.

the dish warp you mention is best dealt with by using a reflex clamp at any rate, the record is more stable with a clamp and at least more table than if no weight was used so the weight will be a benefit.

unless one is using something like a walker or maplenoll tt with the 60-70 pound platter, little is to be gained in inertia by placing a weight over the spindle. thats one of the reasons i am enamored of the periphery ring with its inertia at the outside of the platter edge; that and the flattening of warps.
    ...regards...tr

My Rega is over ten years old and have yet to damage a record. I am not concerned about inertia as much as I am about firmer contact of the record with the platter. Also any benefits of reducing slight warps while playing.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You guys are awesome. I love you guys. The analog tidbits I get are great....and free!! Only the 02audionoob has enlightened me any more than you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You guys are awesome. I love you guys. The analog tidbits I get are great....and free!! Only the 02audionoob has enlightened me any more than you guys...

Worth more than a Bose Sound Dock I bet?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks poppachubby for my renewed interest in record weights. The TTweight arrived today and I am enjoying the improvement. The weight is holding the record tight against the Achroplat. I am enjoying tighter more solid bass, better ambience retrieval and less high frequency fuzz. It is easy to lift on and off of a spinning platter.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Good stuff John! I have too much on the go to consider a weight right now. Nothing better than a tweak that actually enhances, especially with the vinyl.

Some new weights I made...

Here's a brass unit 02audionoob...

This is the one I'm most excited about. It's quite light, only a couple hundred grams, but this is the style that everyone was suggesting I try out.

Is this the beginning of a new business venture for you? Poppachubby's analog accessories made to order.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well, I have the opportunity to make them from ends of material we use at work. So I figure, why not? BTW, did you see my new speaker stands John? Check the DIY section.

So, here it is, the official poppachubby series of turntable weights. Collect them all! Trade with your friends! In stores now!!

Love it. But I agree the wider ones are visually more appealing to me.

you have to be careful of wide clamp/weights

my v15VxMR runs into the sota reflex clamp on runout so i must use either the smaller orsonic or my planamax when i use that cartridge. with most of my other carts, it doesnt make a difference.
    ...regards...tr

I wonder if I could get anyone interested in buyng the new 2010 edition 02audiopods...

It can go on the shelf next to The Acyli-Mat*TM noob Lic., or had you forgotten about that little known product by Chubby Industries?

I do remember the Acryli-Mat, now that you mention it. Those 02audiopods on my Marantz would have to be my LX model. These will be the DX model...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information