Canadian Vinyl

Printable View

• 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
    poppachubby
    Canadian Vinyl
    Does anyone know of an online, Canadian site for vinyl?? I just got an order from Acoustic Sounds and the customs fees are nuts!! Apparently, they are really going for the throat now.

On a seperate note, I have just completed fine tuning my ENTIRE vinyl collection. This includes hand cleaning each disc, replacement of all paper inserts with vinyl inserts, re-bagging all covers and itemizing by genre. 586 albums, 125 collectible and the rest for listening. All in at least good condition with majority 180g minimum. It's been a long road but saying I'm proud is an understatement.

BTW, vinyl inserts are incredible, I highly recommend spending the extra doe.

Looking at it is making me teary, I feel ten feet tall...
  • 10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
    3db
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Does anyone know of an online, Canadian site for vinyl?? I just got an order from Acoustic Sounds and the customs fees are nuts!! Apparently, they are really going for the throat now.

On a seperate note, I have just completed fine tuning my ENTIRE vinyl collection. This includes hand cleaning each disc, replacement of all paper inserts with vinyl inserts, re-bagging all covers and itemizing by genre. 586 albums, 125 collectible and the rest for listening. All in at least good condition with majority 180g minimum. It's been a long road but saying I'm proud is an understatement.

Looking at it is making me teary, I feel ten feet tall...

No fringe record stores in London? There's a store here in Ottawa called Compact Disc which also sells new and used vinyl. I've bought several new releases from them including the "Von Bondies" and the Obits.
  • 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3db
    No fringe record stores in London? There's a store here in Ottawa called Compact Disc which also sells new and used vinyl. I've bought several new releases from them including the "Von Bondies" and the Obits.

Incerdibly, there's only one that's really dedicated to vinyl. Their new selection tends to be limited or a little bit lagging from release to shelf. Aside from this, there's a few other stores with some new vinyl including some big name joints who are getting back into it.

I think I am going to try Amazon.ca for now. I want the new Wolfmother and hopefully pre-order the new Gov't Mule.
  • 11-05-2009, 09:16 AM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

I'm suprised that vinyl inserts are recommended. Flexible vinyl (as oppose to rigid vinyl like PVC pipes) tends contain plasticizers that will eventually migrate out and on to the record surface. Unless having an oil residue on the vinyl is preferrable...
  • 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frahengeo
    I'm suprised that vinyl inserts are recommended. Flexible vinyl (as oppose to rigid vinyl like PVC pipes) tends contain plasticizers that will eventually migrate out and on to the record surface. Unless having an oil residue on the vinyl is preferrable...

I don't have the vantage of 20 years of storage. All I can say is what I know, they look and feel better. Do you have a link or resource I can look at? Further reading?
  • 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

I don't have the vantage of 20 years of storage. All I can say is what I know, they look and feel better. Do you have a link or resource I can look at? Further reading?

Chubbs,

Are the records in direct contact with the vinyl?

I don't have any specific link for you. Flexible vinyl is known to contain additives that make it bendable. Like an old cracked vinyl dash of an old car, over time these additives migrate out and on to the windshield (foggy windshields) or in this case the record. The residue can be oily or sticky. Check it after a month or so.
  • 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frahengeo
    Chubbs,

Are the records in direct contact with the vinyl?

I don't have any specific link for you. Flexible vinyl is known to contain additives that make it bendable. Like an old cracked vinyl dash of an old car, over time these additives migrate out and on to the windshield (foggy windshields) or in this case the record. The residue can be oily or sticky. Check it after a month or so.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. Later on, after I get home, I'll link you or post a photo. I don't see how this insert could possibly have the same properties as vinyl on a dash.
  • 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

I'm not sure we're on the same page. Later on, after I get home, I'll link you or post a photo. I don't see how this insert could possibly have the same properties as vinyl on a dash.

Vinyl typically refers to PVC. Its properties can be altered via additives, coatings, texture, etc. Please consider this friendly advice. If it truly is PVC, then there is high potential for plasticizer migration and may be worth checking.
  • 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
    poppachubby
    Diskeeper 2.0 Antistatic Record Sleeves - Our most popular audiophile inner record sleeve has been made even better and we guarantee you'll love them! Manufactured from 2.0 mil anti-static high-density polyethylene, our Diskeeper 2.0 is not only affordable but offers our best combination of quality and cost-effective way to protect your LPs. Each sleeve is precision die-cut at 12-1/16 x 12-1/16 inches and tested with 200 gram audiophile vinyl as well as older, thinner LPs.

http://www.sleevetown.com/300images/9235.jpg

Friendly for sure dude!! I appreciate the concern. I don't want to be ruining my vinyl. What do you think? They are sold as "vinyl" inserts, perhaps this is gratuitous use of the word vinyl.
  • 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
    Those are the ones I have. 'Bought them from AS, too. Never had a problem with them.

Regarding the import duties, it's also one of the main reason why so many eBay'ers refuse to ship to & from Canada. In the end, isn't this much more injurious to Canada's online business than whatever benefits it brings? I'm not in Canada, but I'm of the opinion that one of the main reasons the Internet has grown so fast in many other countries is because of the lack of fees and taxes.
  • 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

Diskeeper 2.0 Antistatic Record Sleeves - Our most popular audiophile inner record sleeve has been made even better and we guarantee you'll love them! Manufactured from 2.0 mil anti-static high-density polyethylene, our Diskeeper 2.0 is not only affordable but offers our best combination of quality and cost-effective way to protect your LPs. Each sleeve is precision die-cut at 12-1/16 x 12-1/16 inches and tested with 200 gram audiophile vinyl as well as older, thinner LPs.

http://www.sleevetown.com/300images/9235.jpg

Friendly for sure dude!! I appreciate the concern. I don't want to be ruining my vinyl. What do you think? They are sold as "vinyl" inserts, perhaps this is gratuitous use of the word vinyl.

Well there you have it. HDPE is not PVC. HDPE is a very stable polymer. No worries. Maybe its called vinyl insert because you insert your vinyl in it.:wink5:
  • 11-06-2009, 04:07 AM
    poppachubby
    Thanks Frah, it would have got real ugly if I had to replace all of those, REAL ugly.

Ya Flier, tough times call for tough measures. They are enforcing existing tarriffs. Found these 2 great sellers, for used, located in Sask. and part of the GEMM network...

http://www.finylvinylrecords.com/

Also Amazon.ca's new Vinyl Store which ships out of Canada...

http://www.amazon.ca/Vinyl-Records/b...d_i=B002N15LFS