Aging Smartass

Cable replacement on CS-5000

I've posted extensively ("exhaustively," some might think!) about how delighted I've been with the performance of my Dual CS-5000. Adding an Achromat turntable mat, and cleaning headshell/tonearm connections with DeoxIT have also provided noticeable improvements.(DeoxIT's claim that it not only removes corrosion, but improves conductivity is very real and audible). Still, the cables that come with this baby are no better than those from a $44 Garrard record changer.

Replacing cables on other Duals has been a cinch - just remove the turntable from the wood base, unplug the originals and then plug in a decent set. Though I'm not entirely sure, I don't believe it's quite that easy with the 5000.

I'd really like to replace these cables with some decent ones, but am at a loss as to how to do that. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Though I'm not entirely sure, I don't believe it's quite that easy with the 5000.

I'd really like to replace these cables with some decent ones, but am at a loss as to how to do that. Any suggestions?

I don't know how else they are hooked up, but in my Luxman, the cable (which was better than a standard cable, but unfortunately, it broke, so I had to replace it) was soldered to a little plate which connected the tonearm leads to the RCA cable...
    I removed the cable and the plate, so the tonearm leads were loose, and installed RCA sockets at the back of the tt, and soldered the tonearm leads on them. Used a third RCA socket for the ground cables (made a small bridge for the ground cable, since the tonearm ground leads were also connected to another ground cable in the tt)...

For extra shielding, I installed a 'wall of lead' so the contacts are entirely free from IRF, and motor noise...

I can post pics if you want to... (since the explanation might not have been entirely clear...)

you can also get a rewire kit (like the ones from Cardas), and rewire it (including the tonearm...)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    I needed longer RCA cables - so i soldered in a better/longer set using the existing points. No, there isn't just a RCA connector inside
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If you ever buy a Rega the rewire is great. The wire is continuous from the cartridge clips to the rca jacks that plug into the phono pre-amp. No solder joints between clips and plugs. Cardas wire is used.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information