Forum Regular

Budget Phono Cartridge

Funny thing -- a few months back I got back into vinyl, buying a Thorens TD-320, and purchasing a new Ortofon Super OM20. I've been enjoying the experience a lot, but.... I recently got curious and switched from the OM20 back to the Shure Premier that came with the table. I found that that old cartridge produces better details in the mids and highs and seems to produce a bit less sibilance. The OM20, by contrast sounds more veiled. So I checked with Shure and they tell me that the Premier was a low-grade model years ago, the equivalent today of their entry level M92E ($40). Now I'm thinking that maybe I should try a different cartridge new? MY budget is about $100. I've read good (and some bad) about each of these: Shure M97xE and Audio Technica AT440ML. They're both available new online for about $90. Has anyone compared these with the OM20 and/or with each other? What would you recommend? Obviously, I'm a low-budget guy so I'm not expecting the world, but clarity and detail across the spectrum, with some warmth, would be nice. Thanks for any help....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by winegasman
    Funny thing -- a few months back I got back into vinyl, buying a Thorens TD-320, and purchasing a new Ortofon Super OM20. I've been enjoying the experience a lot, but.... I recently got curious and switched from the OM20 back to the Shure Premier that came with the table. I found that that old cartridge produces better details in the mids and highs and seems to produce a bit less sibilance. The OM20, by contrast sounds more veiled. So I checked with Shure and they tell me that the Premier was a low-grade model years ago, the equivalent today of their entry level M92E ($40). Now I'm thinking that maybe I should try a different cartridge new? MY budget is about $100. I've read good (and some bad) about each of these: Shure M97xE and Audio Technica AT440ML. They're both available new online for about $90. Has anyone compared these with the OM20 and/or with each other? What would you recommend? Obviously, I'm a low-budget guy so I'm not expecting the world, but clarity and detail across the spectrum, with some warmth, would be nice. Thanks for any help....
    Im presently using a Sumiko Pearl, available for about $95. It's okay but it lacks the mid-range detail and openess I heard on my Denon moving coil. The Pearl might satisfy your needs if you haven't heard much better sounding cartridges.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

its unlikely that the pearl is

Quote Originally Posted by eleiko
    Im presently using a Sumiko Pearl, available for about $95. It's okay but it lacks the mid-range detail and openess I heard on my Denon moving coil. The Pearl might satisfy your needs if you haven't heard much better sounding cartridges.
    worth the $95. the at440ML is a much better value and from what i have heard, the pearl is not worth the effort. even if you go up to the blue point, it isnt worth its asking price. i would even risk hum and try a grado black first. the grados only hum on certain tables.

i cant help wondering if the orto isnt set up correctly, or the orto isnt a good match for the thorens arm. the m97xe has been well received in the press and consumers so dont count that one out.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular

Problem Solved

After my initial post, I waited a week, had no responses, and got to some trouble-shooting. Hifi Tommy's got it right. Somehow the screw holding the rear of the tonearm's height had loosened, causing the rear of the arm to slip down until was 1/2" lower than the headshell. So, after a year of being back into vinyl, another mystery concept -- VTA -- had introduced itself to me. I spent a few minutes -- it really didn't take much time at all -- adjusting the height of the arm and sure enough the Ortofon started to sing! I'm happy for now, but keeping my eye out for reasonably priced V15VxMR, 'cause I can't get no satisfaction.... Thanks for your responses guys. Rich

Thread Information