Budget Phono Cartridge

Printable View

• 03-29-2004, 08:04 AM
    winegasman
    Budget Phono Cartridge
    Funny thing -- a few months back I got back into vinyl, buying a Thorens TD-320, and purchasing a new Ortofon Super OM20. I've been enjoying the experience a lot, but.... I recently got curious and switched from the OM20 back to the Shure Premier that came with the table. I found that that old cartridge produces better details in the mids and highs and seems to produce a bit less sibilance. The OM20, by contrast sounds more veiled. So I checked with Shure and they tell me that the Premier was a low-grade model years ago, the equivalent today of their entry level M92E ($40). Now I'm thinking that maybe I should try a different cartridge new? MY budget is about $100. I've read good (and some bad) about each of these: Shure M97xE and Audio Technica AT440ML. They're both available new online for about $90. Has anyone compared these with the OM20 and/or with each other? What would you recommend? Obviously, I'm a low-budget guy so I'm not expecting the world, but clarity and detail across the spectrum, with some warmth, would be nice. Thanks for any help....
  • 04-29-2004, 06:40 PM
    eleiko
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winegasman
    Funny thing -- a few months back I got back into vinyl, buying a Thorens TD-320, and purchasing a new Ortofon Super OM20. I've been enjoying the experience a lot, but.... I recently got curious and switched from the OM20 back to the Shure Premier that came with the table. I found that that old cartridge produces better details in the mids and highs and seems to produce a bit less sibilance. The OM20, by contrast sounds more veiled. So I checked with Shure and they tell me that the Premier was a low-grade model years ago, the equivalent today of their entry level M92E ($40). Now I'm thinking that maybe I should try a different cartridge new? MY budget is about $100. I've read good (and some bad) about each of these: Shure M97xE and Audio Technica AT440ML. They're both available new online for about $90. Has anyone compared these with the OM20 and/or with each other? What would you recommend? Obviously, I'm a low-budget guy so I'm not expecting the world, but clarity and detail across the spectrum, with some warmth, would be nice. Thanks for any help....

Im presently using a Sumiko Pearl, available for about $95. It's okay but it lacks the mid-range detail and openess I heard on my Denon moving coil. The Pearl might satisfy your needs if you haven't heard much better sounding cartridges.
  • 04-30-2004, 08:42 PM
    hifitommy
    its unlikely that the pearl is
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eleiko
    Im presently using a Sumiko Pearl, available for about $95. It's okay but it lacks the mid-range detail and openess I heard on my Denon moving coil. The Pearl might satisfy your needs if you haven't heard much better sounding cartridges.

worth the $95. the at440ML is a much better value and from what i have heard, the pearl is not worth the effort. even if you go up to the blue point, it isnt worth its asking price. i would even risk hum and try a grado black first. the grados only hum on certain tables.

i cant help wondering if the orto isnt set up correctly, or the orto isnt a good match for the thorens arm. the m97xe has been well received in the press and consumers so dont count that one out.
  • 05-01-2004, 03:13 AM
    winegasman
    Problem Solved
    After my initial post, I waited a week, had no responses, and got to some trouble-shooting. Hifi Tommy's got it right. Somehow the screw holding the rear of the tonearm's height had loosened, causing the rear of the arm to slip down until was 1/2" lower than the headshell. So, after a year of being back into vinyl, another mystery concept -- VTA -- had introduced itself to me. I spent a few minutes -- it really didn't take much time at all -- adjusting the height of the arm and sure enough the Ortofon started to sing! I'm happy for now, but keeping my eye out for reasonably priced V15VxMR, 'cause I can't get no satisfaction.... Thanks for your responses guys. Rich