brooks berdan ltd.....

Printable View

• 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM
    atomicAdam
    brooks berdan ltd.....
    Wife and I just went there and WOW, what a great place. Very friendly, very family like, lots of knowldge, and cool stuff everywhere.

I'm so pleased to have found this place. Even the wife enjoyed it. Vibe was awesome and I got my TT aligned and they checked out the LP3 while waiting, err. Watching/ talking/ flipping through records. Lots of ppl in there too. Hanging out, working, listening.

Anyways, just want to give some major shop props to this place.

Still out with the wife, eating lunch. Can't wait to get home. Dang, even the wife picked out some LPs to buy and listen too!
  • 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
    hifitommy
    have you been to UPSCALE ?
    its certainly in your neighborhood, closer than brooks'. brooks has really expanded the listening areas in number but i think it would be good to have a larger room in which to demo the big wilsons.

agreed, a friendly place with great choices. i have bought vinyl there as well.
  • 02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
    atomicAdam
    i haven't been to upscale, when I called about the cartridge alignment they sent me to brooks.

i think, from the vibe between the two, i'd rather make the trip to brooks, but i could change opinion if i was at upscale in person. i've just talked to someone, over the phone.
  • 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM
    hifitommy
    kevin is rather nepotistic
    about tubes. if you bought something at his shop, its much friendlier when it comes to tubes. he has lots of other merchandise though. i only mention upscale because its close to you.

http://www.laocaudiosociety.net/
  • 02-27-2010, 09:46 PM
    atomicAdam
    yeah - i hear you - it is amazingly closer. in fact i've passed it a couple times when the wife and i go up in the mountains for some hiking and rock hunting.
  • 02-28-2010, 03:44 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Dang, even the wife picked out some LPs to buy and listen too!

:thumbsup:

They must employ some mystical shaman who spends his day in a back room, casting spells on customers.

No really, there's only been a couple of occasions in which my wife has "caught the bug". Right on!!
  • 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
    squeegy200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    :thumbsup:

They must employ some mystical shaman who spends his day in a back room, casting spells on customers.

No really, there's only been a couple of occasions in which my wife has "caught the bug". Right on!!

Haha! good for you! I wish Brooks would sell me some of the stuff in his museum!

Brooks is a great place to enjoy the audio enthusiasm. I've known Brooks for over 20 years and he still has the same excitement when talking about audio equipment.

There is no one better to tune & tweek a turntable than Brooks. Period.

I agree with Tommy, I'd like to hear the big Wilsons in a bigger room. But I also have to concede, real estate ain't cheap in California. I'm just glad his store front is in MY neighborhood!
  • 03-15-2010, 08:52 PM
    atomicAdam
    In fact, I made plans with wifie to return to Brooks next next saturday. She wanted to dig through the $1 records again (yes, I just said my wifie wants to dig through the $1 records, how freaking awesome is that?!?) and we both hope to hear some equipment if someone will play something for us.
  • 03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
    Enochrome
    I went to Brooks couple of weeks ago, after some recommendations from the Audiogon site.
    Nice guy who works there: he helped me make some decision on my TT. I want to go back and get a cart from him and hopefully he can give me some pointers about setting it up and the tonearm.

Nice drive, only 15 minutes from my place. Can't believe a place like that is still going and in Monrovia no less; something is going on over there.
  • 03-16-2010, 05:08 AM
    hifitommy
    a little further up the road
    is upscale. the LA/OC audio society will have a meeting there on sunday. visitors welcome.

http://www.laocaudiosociety.net/calendar.html

the above link is to our site and its schedule of events. anyway, audio is alive and well in so-cal.
  • 03-17-2010, 07:50 AM
    squeegy200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome
    I went to Brooks couple of weeks ago, after some recommendations from the Audiogon site.
    Nice guy who works there: he helped me make some decision on my TT. I want to go back and get a cart from him and hopefully he can give me some pointers about setting it up and the tonearm.

Nice drive, only 15 minutes from my place. Can't believe a place like that is still going and in Monrovia no less; something is going on over there.

Brooks has been at that storefront for several years and is a well known proprietor in that growing business district. He's also influenced several business to relocate to old town Monrovia including one of my favorite breakfast restaurants - The Peach Cafe. The owner of the restaurant is married to the proprietor behind Acoustic Image. The LA/OC audio society has visited Acoustic Image in the past. Small world.
  • 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
    squeegy200
    BTW: There is also GNP Audio/Video in Pasadena. (disclosure: I worked for GNP computers back in the 80s and Brooks worked in the audio section.) It's not quite as big and glorious as it was back in the 80s, but they are still friendly, and they've let me listen to equipment for hours on end.

They don't have much in regards to vinyl anymore but I still went back there and bought my Grado Reference Platinum from Laurence a couple years ago.
  • 04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
    Enochrome
    About to go there today!! Nice 10 minute drive. Want to look through their $ 1 records again.
    They have some nice conditioned Phillips classical lp's in the pile. Phillips produced some nice lp's, which I appreciate were mastered at a high output level, so I don't have to do the traditional crank up the system to listen to classical routine.

Those guys are really nice, and set up my Grado to my Luxman for free (a complete professional check, VTF meter and everything). They even tightened up my tone arm and fixed my headshell.

Class act.

Peace