Forum Regular

cartridge for a pioneer PL-15R

hi all!

recently picked up a fully functional pl-15r in great condition (for a nice price too!). as far as i know it's an updated automatic version of the pl-12d.

i prefer this over my pro-ject debut deck... which i assume most people would disagree with. it just feels much more sturdy and is nicer to look at (in my opinion). the auto return is handy for me too. i do plan on replacing the cartridge on my pro-ject as well, at some stage. the pioneer is for a second system.

anyway, i want to replace the cartridge on it. i don't know whats on it at the moment , it doesn't have any markings. what i want from a cartridge is good bass, good tracking, and ability to 'hide' surface noise from records in less than pristine condition. i don't know if thats possible, but i have heard some decks play scratched records much nicer than other (more finely tuned i'm guessing) decks where you can hear all the noise in the grooves.

i don't want to spend too much. maybe $100, or $150. how is the shure m447 cartridge... seems like a fairly standard and proven choice??

cheers
    dan
    Last edited by daniel7y; 04-07-2010 at 04:24 AM.

Wrong turntable

When it comes to sound quality, the thing many of the vintage turntables have over the entry-level Pro-Ject is speed variance and wow/flutter. I'm not familiar with the PL-15R, but the PL-12D is low enough on the ladder that it actually does not beat the Pro-Ject turntable on these specs. So with that in mind, it's odd to me to be chasing better sound quality with the inferior deck of the two. On top of that, you propose to use a DJ cartridge, again proposing the inferior variety with regard to sound quality.

If you really believe the Pioneer is the better turntable, I'd propose to at least put a truly good cartridge on it. The Nagaoka MP-110, Ortofon 2M Red, Shure M97XE, Audio-Technica AT95HE, Goldring 2100, Grado Red and Denon DL-110 are all going to beat the M447 for sound quality and meet your budget.

If you really want the best sound quality in your budget, I say get the Goldring and put it on the Debut. But hey...that's just me. You already said you know some people will disagree with your choice of turntable.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The Debut's plinth is 10 times better than the Pioneer. Have a look inside the Pio's cavity, it's resonance central.

Those transcription styled tables have heavier arms usually, look for a cart with lower compliance. With a high compliance cart on a heavy arm, your well used records will cause havoc.

I'm not sure I would entirely agree that the cartridge needs to be of low compliance. I think it just warrrants consideration along with the weight of the cartridge. A cartridge that doesn't weigh much, like the DL-110 could optimize resonance without being low compliance.

Well I was speaking more to his point about beat up vinyl. If a large percentage is infact really rough, the compliance could be an issue with a really "springy" cart. Thoughts?

I suppose the ways to deal with bad vinyl are to clean it, use a less-revealing stylus, give it to Goodwill, or send it off to the dump. Bad vinyl is one situation where the spherical tip of the Shure M44-7 has an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    or send it off to the dump.
    Wha?!? We're in the analog room, how dare you even suggest such a thing!! Aren't you concerned that one of the six vinyl lovers will hear you?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Wha?!? We're in the analog room, how dare you even suggest such a thing!! Aren't you concerned that one of the six vinyl lovers will hear you?
    Six? If I knew there were that many vinyl lovers here I'd watch what I say!

Thread Information