Forum Regular

Question Best phono cartridge for less than 100

It has come time to replace my current cartridge. I am looking for suggestions for a good cartridge for less than 100. Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiam
    It has come time to replace my current cartridge. I am looking for suggestions for a good cartridge for less than 100. Thanks in advance for your help.
    There are several good cartridges available for less than $100. Audio Technica AT440ML, Shure M97XE, Ortofon Super OM10, Grado Prestige Green and Blue. If you could tell us the turntable you will be mounting the cartridge in we might be able to give more specific advice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

My Turntable is a Yamaha GT-1000

It was never sold in the US that I am aware of. I found it at a pawn shop a number of years back. I would imagine someone in the service brought it back.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    Watch the A/T440, it's an old Signet cartridge and you need to align it VERY carefully or it'll "spit" at you. But once thats done you'll find it almost Moving coil'y

Forum Regular

Ended up getting the Grado Prestige Red

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    There are several good cartridges available for less than $100. Audio Technica AT440ML, Shure M97XE, Ortofon Super OM10, Grado Prestige Green and Blue. If you could tell us the turntable you will be mounting the cartridge in we might be able to give more specific advice.
    I was able to get the Prestige Red for less than 100. Great cartridge. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help.

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam
    I was able to get the Prestige Red for less than 100. Great cartridge. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help.
    If you like Rock, try putting a Green stylus in the Red body and if Classical, "go for the gold"!
    I found both better than the Red's own stylus. Sometimes being a cheapskate/tightwade pays off! Enjoy your music!

Forum Regular

Huh! I did not know you could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KitR
    If you like Rock, try putting a Green stylus in the Red body and if Classical, "go for the gold"!
    I found both better than the Red's own stylus. Sometimes being a cheapskate/tightwade pays off! Enjoy your music!
    Just never ever crossed my mind. Thanks

Thread Information