Forum Regular

Question Analog TV & Digital Cable

I have a 36" JVC D Series TV (NTSC_Non Digital) that still works like a champ. Would Digital Cable Service be compatible with this set? Would the picture be dislpayed in letterbox format or worse, would the picture be a little square in the middle of the screen which does not cover the entire screen like those digital/analog converter boxes display some OTA digital channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    I have a 36" JVC D Series TV (NTSC_Non Digital). Would Digital Cable Service be compatible with this set? Would the picture be dislpayed in letterbox format or worse, would the picture be a little square in the middle of the screen.
    Not if you subscribe to their non HD program package. I also have 4:3 TV with basic digital cable (with Cinemax) and 95% of programs are 4:3 ratio.

Forum Regular

Thanks...

I got one of those digital/analog converter boxes to see what the OTA digital would look like on a non-digital TV. While picture quality is very good, some stations make the picture in a little square which does not utilize the entire screen. Cropping the picture just cuts a lot of the total viewing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    I got one of those digital/analog converter boxes to see what the OTA digital would look like on a non-digital TV. While picture quality is very good, some stations make the picture in a little square which does not utilize the entire screen.
    Those programs are natively in SD so there is no way around it unless your TV have some type of zoom/stretch function. My TV also have a digital turner and by default, all of OTA HD programs that are 16:9 ratio are stretched vertically to fill entire 4:3 screen without any type of noticeable distortion.

And on SD program where I get a box, I can use stretch mode to fill out the whole screen.

See if you can go to your converter box menu and set your monitor ratio to 16:9 instead of 4:3. This way at least with programs that are HD, you will not have bars on top or bottom of screen.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    See if you can go to your converter box menu and set your monitor ratio to 16:9 instead of 4:3. This way at least with programs that are HD, you will not have bars on top or bottom of screen.
    Thanks for the tip.

Thread Information