fax
    Forum Regular

Talking About AKAI GXC-570D

I recently bought an AKAI GXC-570D cassette deck,(made in japan on july 1976)but I find that when I play LN(typeI),Chrome(typeII) tape,the treble seems a little subdued.Otherwise it sounded great,very warm.I don't very know why,so if you knows the reason, please tell me why and how can I solve it.I can also provide you this machine's service manaul if you need.

Thanks!!

fax
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fax
    I recently bought an AKAI GXC-570D cassette deck,(made in japan on july 1976)but I find that when I play LN(typeI),Chrome(typeII) tape,the treble seems a little subdued.Otherwise it sounded great,very warm.I don't very know why,so if you knows the reason, please tell me why and how can I solve it.I can also provide you this machine's service manaul if you need.

Thanks!!

Dose any one can help me?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I have an Akai GXC 730D. It's a monster and sounds great! I listen to it with a pair of Grado SR 60 headphones driven by a Sansui AU-5900 integrated amp. The Sansui's headphone amp is extremely clean and powerful. The amp has several filters and controls that allow you to contour lows, mids and highs. Does your amp or receiver allow you to tweak the treble?

BTW, for headphone listening the Sansui/Akai combo beats my more modern Parasound/Yamaha combo hands down. Believe it or not, I get good sound from cassettes made from cd on my main system when played back on the Sansui/Akai combo.

This cite once had a vintage forum, but I can't find it now. You might try your question at audioasylum.com. Good luck.

fax
    Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I have an Akai GXC 730D. It's a monster and sounds great! I listen to it with a pair of Grado SR 60 headphones driven by a Sansui AU-5900 integrated amp. The Sansui's headphone amp is extremely clean and powerful. The amp has several filters and controls that allow you to contour lows, mids and highs. Does your amp or receiver allow you to tweak the treble?

BTW, for headphone listening the Sansui/Akai combo beats my more modern Parasound/Yamaha combo hands down. Believe it or not, I get good sound from cassettes made from cd on my main system when played back on the Sansui/Akai combo.

This cite once had a vintage forum, but I can't find it now. You might try your question at audioasylum.com. Good luck.
    Thanks for you answer, that is very helpful to me. I just want to know that does you GXC-730D deck has the symptom of the subdued treble when play LN(typeI),Chrome(typeII) tape and how does the recording of this deck? What is the max dB can you get when you record music on a blank TDK SA CrO2 tape at Chrome position at your deck?

fax
    Forum Regular

Talking

Thanks for you answer, that is very helpful to me. I just want to know that does you GXC-730D deck has the symptom of the subdued treble when play LN(typeI),Chrome(typeII) tape and how does the recording of this deck? What is the max dB can you get when you record music on a blank TDK SA CrO2 tape at Chrome position at your deck?
    Could you answear me those questions? Many Thanks!!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

fax...

Could you answear me those questions? Many Thanks!!
    My Akai is used for playback only. It's in a vintage (old) system at my office that doesn't even have a cd player. I have lots of tapes I made on my main system for listening in an older vehicle that only had cassette. I really can't answer your recording questions, but on my main Yamaha deck I adjust the levels depending on the cd or lp I'm recording. If your amp or receiver has a tape monitor that helps in adjusting your levels if your meters on your tape deck aren't very sensitive. I usually err on the low side rather than the high to avoid distortion on playback. My rule of thumb is "STAY JUST BELOW THE RED."

I'm not sure how to answer your "subdued treble" question. Are you comparing the Akai's treble to cd or another tape deck or to how you think it should sound? What's your reference for saying that it has subdued treble? I'm not at my office right now, but I do use the Akai settings that give me the most open sound on playback. I don't like dolby noise reduction at all. It seems to roll off the treble, take out the "air" in the treble and limit high frequency extension. I would rather put up with a little tape hiss. Hope this helps.

fax
    Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    My Akai is used for playback only. It's in a vintage (old) system at my office that doesn't even have a cd player. I have lots of tapes I made on my main system for listening in an older vehicle that only had cassette. I really can't answer your recording questions, but on my main Yamaha deck I adjust the levels depending on the cd or lp I'm recording. If your amp or receiver has a tape monitor that helps in adjusting your levels if your meters on your tape deck aren't very sensitive. I usually err on the low side rather than the high to avoid distortion on playback. My rule of thumb is "STAY JUST BELOW THE RED."

I'm not sure how to answer your "subdued treble" question. Are you comparing the Akai's treble to cd or another tape deck or to how you think it should sound? What's your reference for saying that it has subdued treble? I'm not at my office right now, but I do use the Akai settings that give me the most open sound on playback. I don't like dolby noise reduction at all. It seems to roll off the treble, take out the "air" in the treble and limit high frequency extension. I would rather put up with a little tape hiss. Hope this helps.
    Again, thank you to answer.I said that "subdued treble" means that when I compare my GXC-570D to a normal car cassette system, GXC-570D is lack of treble. Did your GXC-730D has such problem? And could try to record a tape using your GXC-730D deck, cos I really want to know how is it's recording.

fax
    Forum Regular
    Again, thank you to answer.I said that "subdued treble" means that when I compare my GXC-570D to a normal car cassette system, GXC-570D is lack of treble. Did your GXC-730D has such problem? And could try to record a tape using your GXC-730D deck, cos I really want to know how is it's recording.
    Any answers, please?

fax
    Forum Regular

Unhappy

No answers?

AR Newbie Registered Member

AKAI GXC-570D Please help!

Thanks!!
    Hi Fax,
    Unfortunately I can not answer your question right now.As mine akai gxc-570d power ups but the sensi control system does not work at all and the whole transport system is dead.Can you please help me as I am trying desperate to fix this wonderfull tape deck.Can you please send me or post the service manual for the 570d I would really appreciated a lot.Thank you for your time!

Forum Regular

Thanks!!
    Make sure you have cleaned the heads (use a cotton bud moistened with a little methylated spirits or alcohol). Also, playing back tapes with the Dolby set to "off" will enhance treble response. Head alignment is another important part of good treble response, however this is a tricky technical procedure. Don't attempt it if you are not familiar with how to do it. Too difficult to describe in works. Good luck!

Forum Regular
    The following is from memory so if someone cares to correct this, I will not be surprised or offended.

Chrome tape potentially has better high frequency signal to noise capabilities than ferrite tapes but requires different bias and equalization settings. Once chrome was introduced by the manufacturers of cassettes, tape decks incorporated switches to provide the optimal settings for different formulations of tape. If your tape recorder doesn't have a setting for chrome, the best you can do is to boost the treble on playback. Chrome tape was probably introduced before consumer Dolby B was available. Because more signal can be put on the tape at high frequencies, the treble is boosted on recording and cut on playback improving s/n ratio without sacrificing dynamic range. Dolby B and later Dolby C obtained similar results from ferrite tape by compressing dynamics at high frequencies and boosting them on recording and providing complimentary equalization and expansion on playback. Improved ferrite formulations came along as well. Since it worked just as well, many people stuck with the ferrite formula. I have, even though I have several decks which are CR 02 compatable.

BTW, GCX stands for glass ferrite cross field heads. The glass ferrite heads are claimed to be much harder than other tape heads reducing wear and the crossfield pole design claimed superior high frequency performance. Both were pioneered by Akai (formerly Roberts) in their older reel to reel models in the 1960s.

I don't know if this helps any but at least you can understand why you have reduced hf output.

Forum Regular
    Hi Skeptic and Fax

Yes, very interesting about the old Akai equipment and the chrome / low noise debate, and then Dolby.

Just for the record, the correct lettering for AKAI (or Roberts, as they were for a while in the US) is as follows:

GXC: means it is a cassette deck with glass and crystal-ferrite heads

GX: means it is a reel to reel with the same heads as above

Vis: G = Glass, X = crystal, C = cassette

No GX or GXC models employed the crossfield system. This was an older system for reel to reel only, before they invented GX heads. The "crossfield" part means that there is actually another head which moves into place on the other side of the tape (below the playback/record head) and provides a secondary magnetic field to strengthen the recording from both sides of the tape. Hence - "cross-field" (two magnetic fields).

As for our friend (fax) with the GXC-570D cassette deck that has poor treble response, well I've checked out this model on the web and it does seem to have been a fantastic deck in its day and one that is probably worth saving. So the best advice I can give is to try and find a really good technician who is enthusiastic about vintage equipment and get it serviced properly. There are so many parimeters that affect good tape sound. The GX heads are unlikely to be the problem as these are supposed to be wear free (unless some abuse has been done to the machine by a previous owner). Back tension, pinch rollers, head alignment and belts are all critical to good sound performance and the treble is usually what goes first, if there is any kind of problem. All these things need expert attention. It could also be the equalization circuits (which is purely an electronic thing, not mechanical) that need adjusting. Once again, this needs a technician (or a talented amateur - that's what this forum is for, after all - any takers?).

Fax, I'll get back to you if I think of any other ideas to help you out.

Skeptic, your advise to Fax is equally valuable and informative. Good stuff. I hope between us, and others on this forum, that we can help him.
    Last edited by chancethegardener; 06-01-2004 at 08:20 AM. Reason: left something out

Forum Regular
    Head misalignment is probably the number one cause of high end rolloff requiring a technician's assistance. That's a very good place to start. Make sure the heads are clean too. That's an even more common cause of high end rolloff. Even the slightest film of oil from your fingers or oxide buildup can cause a high end rolloff. I use pure alcohol and a cotton tipped swab on mine. That seems to work well. Just keep the alcohol away from the rubber pinch rollers. Demagnetizing the heads also might help.

Thanks for the clarification chance.

fax
    Forum Regular

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Head misalignment is probably the number one cause of high end rolloff requiring a technician's assistance. That's a very good place to start. Make sure the heads are clean too. That's an even more common cause of high end rolloff. Even the slightest film of oil from your fingers or oxide buildup can cause a high end rolloff. I use pure alcohol and a cotton tipped swab on mine. That seems to work well. Just keep the alcohol away from the rubber pinch rollers. Demagnetizing the heads also might help.

Thanks for the clarification chance.
    Thanks for your answer. I have tried all of above method before I wrote this BBS. So now I am thinking of that the playing EQ in this deck has not been set as the standard one which is type 1 tape, 120US, type 2 75US. And I am now trying to re construct the circuit but with only a little result. I am seeking help from you guys.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

vintage

although the vintage forum is gone from here, there is one at audioasylum.com. perhaps some help can ge garnered there.
    ...regards...tr

I have owned a GXC 570D since 1976. I have read all technical data and have service manuals. I have also read test reports on this model and know playback frequency response specifications. If you are interested in talking about this model and its problems, feel free to contact me at thomas_mageras@byu.edu. I am not very apt at using a computer, so if you would like to talk over the phone, let me know by e-mail. I will send my phone number to you or you may send me yours and I will call you.

Thanks!!
    hi,
    i have got AKAI GXC-570D cassette deck and i require the service manual to repair it. so can u please me those service manual. my email id koottiparambil@yahoo.co.in

thanks..

Suspended
    Tape head alignment can cause HF rolloff, but it's more likely tape azimuth. Tape alignment is how the tape aligns across the width of the head. Azimuth is how parallel the playback head is with the tape's tracks (leading edge of the head to trailing edge). Many deck employ an azimuth adjustment screw on one side of the head for this purpose.
    Proper azimuth adjustment is performed professionally using an azimuth alignment tape with 2KHz and 10KHz signals and an oscilloscope. The output of both channels are displayed using a dual-trace oscilloscope. The signal of a properly aligned head will display the sine waves one on top of the other when one trace is overlaid on the other, with identical amplitude. The 2KHz signal is for rough alignment, 10KHz for fine adjustment. If not properly aligned one signal will lead or lag the other.
    If not aligned, adjusting the azimuth screw will cause the signals to move toward each other until properly aligned. If moving the screw causes the amplitude to decrease, turn the other way until the signals are aligned with each having max amplitude.
    The "cheap and dirty" method is to listen with headphones and adjust for max HF in both ears. The azimuth may still be off by several cycles @ 10KHz, but better than if left alone. Very small careful adjustments are key to proper alignment.
    I worked for the CBS tape facility in Terre Haute IN until they moved to Carrolton GA in 1981. My job was setup and EQ of our A/B and QC rooms. I also worked on duplication and despooling equipment. CR02 tape came after Dobly B was introduced. We used Nakamichi decks for playback.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as i'm new to vintage tape players in general. I've recently got my hands on a GXC-570Dii. However for an unknown reason to me, it simply doesn't want to play the tapes at a normal speed. So every time I press play, it simply starts to play the tape as if it was fast forwarding it, but not quite as fast.
    I've been looking for the manual all over the net, but I can't seem to find one specific to the Dii model which is the one I have. Would love it if any one could help me getting it to work as it should

Cheers,

Hendrik

There is a vintage forum here. Go to AV forums and scroll down the list.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information