Forum Regular

yet another amp recomendation thread

Hi again,

So I've recently been thinking about buying a power amp to run a pair of Klipsch RB-15's (93db, 8ohms nominal impedance) rather than upgrading my reciever. Currently I have a Harman Kardon HK3300 thats providing 25 watts and now and then it sounds like its a little strained. I'm not so much looking for a big volume increase as I am more usable range. Plus I would think that if it is being pushed there's probably potential to be damaging the speakers.

So, my thoughts (with some guidance from this forum) were that if I use the pre out for a power amp I can keep the reciever I have and upgrade to probably a higher quality and slightly more powerfull amp than would be there now. My only unanswered question before doing this is would spliting the pre out signal to go to a sub (Klipsch RW-8) and an amp have a negative effects.

If this will work then basically, I was looking for amp suggestions as I'm new to the idea of separate amplifiers. I was hoping to look in the $500 price range, and was thinking that probably 50 watts is going to be about the smallest noticeable difference in volume and probably at least sufficient. I think that even the 25 watts through them is sufficient, but I'd rather that the amp had a little more headroom, so probably 50-100 watts is a good plan? I've noticed in reading here that the klipsch is described as being very bright and forward. I enjoy their sound, but I could see it being to harsh if paired with an amplifier that was similarly voiced so I tohught that a more "warm or laid back" amp would probably be a good plan.

Am I right in thinking that if a reciever with a pre, some features and 80 wpc can be found in this range, just a power amp around 50 wpc will be a higher quality in the same price range? The only other problem is I'm not in an area with a lot of new selection, and even less used so i may have some problems finding uncommon amps.

Thanks for all your help so far. And please, if any of my assumptions about amps/power/etc are way off base correct me. I'm always looking to learn something.
    -Chris

Hoo boy, lots of good stuff for $500. First off, I'd check audiogon.com and see what you can find. Amps are pretty safe buys used as there aren't any moving parts and many come with transferrable warranties. Your speakers are really efficient so you won't need a ton of power. 100wpc will be more than enough.

Horns and tubes can sound really good together, but you'll likely need to look at an integrated from Jolida or ASL at your price point. Tubes are great, but can be a bit fussy, even with auto biasing. Understand, they start to wear out the second you turn them on. I don't know if integrateds are even an option for you, but Cambridge Audio, NAD, and Rotel all make excellent SS units for around 5 bills.

If you can swing it, this PSA amp is what a couple of guys here use. It's a different kind of animal from your garden variety SS or tubes as it's a switching amp. If space, heat, or energy consumption are issues for you, this might work nicely. It has the warmth and magic of tubes in the midband and treble, but the slam and depth of great SS amps. It would be certainly worth an audition, if nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Thanks,

I'd actually been idly looking at the Jolidas. Just through guitar amps, I sorta know that tubes can be fussy, so thats not so much of an issue. Also from that tube amps seem to be very powerfull for their wattage ratings. I'd noticed that jolida had a 30W hybrid amp that i thought would probably be worth looking into if I replaced the reciever with that. I would think that their 30 watts would be at least a little bit more powerfull than my HK's 25? Or if I kept the Harman could that be used instead of buying a phono preamp? My vinyl is important to me.

I forgot to mention, that i'm looking around 500 canadian, so its quite a bit lower than 500 american. However, I'm also thinking it may be worthwhile to save up for a slightly better amp and possibly go with a jolida as I've been thinking about trying tubes and I like the simplicity.

GOnna do some reading on that PSA too. Thanks for the tips.
    -Chris

Forum Regular
    And unfortunately, the Jolida doesn't appear to have a sub out. That's sad, I suppose I best keep looking for options.

Forum Regular
    So this may get ignored, but if not...

Having looked around I'm leaning towards rotel if I can find a dealer to get a listen in. But, before I bother with that, some of what I'd read about rotels said they were bright and crisp. Are they something to avoid pairing with my klipsch? Does anyone have experience with a pairing of these two brands?

ALso, I'm having some trouble finding prices on a model or two. If anyone has a rough idea, are the RA-01, RA-02, RA-1062 anywhere in the ballpark of the RA-1050? I'm assuming new as used selection is going to tough to locate in my area. I'd assume the 1062 is problya bit pricier, does anyone have experience with it that makes any additional price worthwhile over the RA-01 or RA-02?

And if they are in a similar range, is the power amp alone going to be much higher quality than the integrated? Convenience and portability are kinda important, so the integrated will probly be easier.

Thanks for any input and experiences... I'm relying on this forum to narrow down my search due to lack of selection here.

Quote Originally Posted by jucas
    Having looked around I'm leaning towards rotel if I can find a dealer to get a listen in. But, before I bother with that, some of what I'd read about rotels said they were bright and crisp. Are they something to avoid pairing with my klipsch? Does anyone have experience with a pairing of these two brands?
    Rotel isn't bright at all. If anything, they lean to warm side of neutral. Rotel's are known for their quality, both in build and sound, and offering terrific bang-for-the-buck. They should work well enough.

ALso, I'm having some trouble finding prices on a model or two. If anyone has a rough idea, are the RA-01, RA-02, RA-1062 anywhere in the ballpark of the RA-1050? I'm assuming new as used selection is going to tough to locate in my area. I'd assume the 1062 is problya bit pricier, does anyone have experience with it that makes any additional price worthwhile over the RA-01 or RA-02?
    Got me on that one chief. Check out their website and see what it says. I can tell you the difference between the RA01 and 02 is a $100 (cough) remote!

And if they are in a similar range, is the power amp alone going to be much higher quality than the integrated? Convenience and portability are kinda important, so the integrated will probly be easier.
    Hard to say. A lot of integrateds these days are very, very good. The question is whether the integrated's pre amp section is better than your HK's? If so, an integrated may offer more refinement.

Forum Regular
    THanks for the help topspeed, I appreciate it. I'd been wondering if it was possible they were charging 100 bucks more for an RA-02 remote, thats pretty crazy. I'm leaning towards a used RA-1062 to more portable, but who knows.

I guess now I getta wait till I can get to the a bigger city and do some listening.

THanks again,
    -Chris

Thread Information