Yaqin Tube Buffer

Printable View

• 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
    Mark111867
    Yaqin Tube Buffer
    Has anyone used the Yaqin tube buffer? I'm currently using a Marantz cd5001 cd player with a NAD C720BEE receiver connected to a pair of Revel Concerta M12's. I'm pretty happy with the sound, but a touch of warmth would be nice. On the one hand, I figure that for the money, why not try it, but I'm also thinking that if I'm happy with the sound, don't mess with it. Anyone used this buffer with NAD?
  • 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
    Geoffcin
    Rather than a tube buffer, you might want to consider one of their inexpensive tube pre-amps. I've never used one (I have an MingDa tube intergrated amp) but for certain with the tube pre you would have a different sound than the NAD alone.
  • 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Rather than a tube buffer, you might want to consider one of their inexpensive tube pre-amps. I've never used one (I have an MingDa tube intergrated amp) but for certain with the tube pre you would have a different sound than the NAD alone.

I'll second that, everything I've heard leads to a tube pre-amp.
  • 12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark111867
    Has anyone used the Yaqin tube buffer? I'm currently using a Marantz cd5001 cd player with a NAD C720BEE receiver connected to a pair of Revel Concerta M12's. I'm pretty happy with the sound, but a touch of warmth would be nice. On the one hand, I figure that for the money, why not try it, but I'm also thinking that if I'm happy with the sound, don't mess with it. Anyone used this buffer with NAD?

I can't speak to the Yaqin in particular, but a tube buffer might give you what you want.

The "official" purpose of these buffers is to show your CD player (or other upsteam component) a high input impedance, and your downstream amp a low output impedance. However the signal is filtered through a tube at unity gain, so you might very well pick up some of "tube sound" in the process.

So what is the "tube sound", and least in the tube buffer application? IMO it's added 2nd and/or 3rd order harmonic distortion which sounds pretty and possibly masks higher order harmonic distortion contributed by solid state components in the playback chain.
  • 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
    atomicAdam
    I'd be pretty interested to hear what you have to say. For $200 is sounds like an ideal piece of equipment to put between my AVA pre-amp and a SS amp I have in for repair (edit ... not repair - review) that is just too piercing so far. But still needs some burn in.

link for others: http://www.pacificvalve.us/YaqinTB.html
  • 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
    blackraven
    AA, I'm surprised that your AVA set up sounds piercing. I've found all AVA gear to be on the warmer side with its own distinct sound. Even the solid state gear has a tube like sound.
  • 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
    Jim Eck
    I have a Grant Fidelity Tube Buffer and am very happy with it, they also have a Tube Preamp which may be worth checking into.

PM me and I can provide you a link to a discussion of the Yaqin compared to others as well as some mods.

Jim
  • 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
    atomicAdam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    AA, I'm surprised that your AVA set up sounds piercing. I've found all AVA gear to be on the warmer side with its own distinct sound. Even the solid state gear has a tube like sound.

Sorry - I think you read my words too quickly - or some misunderstanding.

The AVA pre-amp connected to the AVA amp sounds warm, smooth, and is really wonderful with TT connected and spinning some Henry Mancini or Etta James, oh it is so lush, warm, yummy and smooth. Like cream.

But with the AVA pre-amp connected to a different amp I've got in for review..... the new amp is exciting, in your face, up front, makes you listen, stand at attention, cause someone just blew a whistle in your ear and you kind of want to punch the SOB! Just a bit too sharp at points.

So I'm thinking that a tube buffer might help. But maybe not. It could be the sound out of the amp in for review will still be sharp.

Right now I am looking into different power cords to see if I can edit the highs down a bit and fill out the bass.

So far I've just been playing with different ICs to mellow the amp out but to no avail.
  • 12-25-2015, 11:34 PM
    Rocket 88
    I just got one and am VERY impressed. They bring new life to old CD's. After I bought a pair of Magnepan .7's they reviled just how horrible sounding 80's and 90's era CD's can be. This little ( and very well made ) buffer saved my collection. Go buy one, don't let the price or the snobs fool you.
  • 12-26-2015, 09:59 PM
    blackraven
    I had a Grant Fidelity Buffer and it didn't really make a difference. But I did not have the one that takes the 6JD8 tubes. I had the older one.
  • 12-27-2015, 11:45 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket 88 View Post
    I just got one and am VERY impressed. They bring new life to old CD's. After I bought a pair of Magnepan .7's they reviled just how horrible sounding 80's and 90's era CD's can be. This little ( and very well made ) buffer saved my collection. Go buy one, don't let the price or the snobs fool you.

Hi, Rocket, welcome to AR Forums.

Another solution to those horrid '80s and '90s era CDs is to rip them to MP3 files at 250kbps or lower. This too has the effect of smoothing out the nastiness. Both approaches, of course, put a filter between you and the actual sound.