Forum Regular

Question Yamaha RX-V540 with Infinity Primus HCS vs JBL SCS 178

Aloha to all....

This is my first post here...so go easy on me...I'm still taking my vey FIRST steps in the world of A/V

I have just purchased a Yamaha RX-V540 reciever for my living room (newly married!!) and was hoping to pair it with a good set of speakers... Its about 20ft x 15ft

Here are my options:
    1- Bose acoustimass 6...didnt like how they sounded

2- JBL SCS178....nice..
    http://international.jbl.com/home/p...anguage=ENGLISH

3- Infinity Primus HCS....nice....
    http://international.infinitysystem...anguage=ENGLISH

My mind is torn between the JBL and infinity sets...however there is one difference i noticed...the nominal impedence on the JBLs is 4ohm and on the Infinity is 8ohms....

The infinity are $100 more expensive...

i read somewhere on these forums that the LOWER the impedence the BETTER the speaker?? true??

Secondly...does the Yamaha RX-V540 support either the 8 or 4 ohm impedence??

Lastly...i could not reach any info on this...is the Infinity sub powered or not??

P.S. Please do not suggest ANY other speaker brands...I know there are some really much better brands...but these are the ONLY brands I have where I live...

And in case anyone tells me it all depends on how i like the speakers and how they sound...well...it would very much help to get some expert listeners' opinion...

Thanks!!

Forum Regular
    Pleeaaaase!!!

Forum Regular

Welcome! :)

The only difference in the ohms is that 4 ohms would be harder to drive (less resistance) but also you get more power out of the receiver. Your Yamaha should easily be able to do 4 ohms though and is rated at 160W max per channel. If it were me I would definitly go for the Infinity system over the JBL's as I am not a big fan of anything they have made (I would not call myself an expert though, hehe). Yes the Infinity sub is powered also. Probably best to stay away from Bose, as I believe they are WAY overrated.

~Dk

Forum Regular
    cool...so its the infinity then....pls check it out...are these a good model??

http://international.infinitysystems...nguage=ENGLISH

and if i want to add another rear center speaker latter...can i do that...and what would i use???

Forum Regular
    I haven't ever heard this model before, but all the Infinity speakers I have heard I liked alot. Personally I am not into home theatre at all, any "surround sound" that I do is with my 2 channel system, as is all my music listening. Whatever you decide, I would stick with the same brand, and even the same model if possible, as the front center. Your Yamaha does have a rear center too, so all you would need is some wire and the speaker. The only seperate center channel I see on Infinity's website is the "Infinity Primus CC" http://international.infinitysystems...nguage=ENGLISH

It may be a good match for the HCS.

Oh yeah... and just for future reference, I believe you might get more of a response if you posted this in the speakers category, rather than in the amps category, not that it matters to me, but it might to some people.

~Dk

Forum Regular
    thanks man....

Actually...IT IS posted in the speaker's section...and I got NO response there at all....lol!!

Forum Regular
    LOL... That's quite odd. Oh well, hehe. BTW good selection on the receiver, almost all my equipment is Yamaha, and I would not switch it for much of anything. Good luck with the whole Home Theatre setup.

~Dk

Forum Regular

Smile

I have a few recommendations here for you:

1) Receiver: I suggest you to change to HarmanKardon brand. Why? It just sounds so much better in any way, clean, clear, crisp, smooth, etc. Of course, the more expensive model is the better. In addition, if u don't like traditional big/heat generated receivers, try HarmanKardon DPR 1001-Z (old model) or DPR 1005 & DPR 2005 (new models). They're awesome.

Although DPR 1001-Z is an old model (they just discountinued), but u may find them at your local Circuitycity/Frys, or you can buy it straight at harmanaudio.com for only $498. My friend has this one & I'm amazed. Of course, if you're willing to pay more, new models are much better.

Yamaha is good, but can't beat HK.

2) Speakers: 4 Ohms is better 8 Ohms.

Infinity vs. JBL: go with Infinity. HOWEVER, you need to read their specs, listen to them first, & choose one for your own. Why? Because Infinity & JBL are from the same company. They use exactly the same materials. Usually people prefer Infinity more than JBL is because of the brand stand & better designs. Just like people feel better when they drive a BMW than a Buick, BUT Buick in fact has less problem than BMW & last longer.

In addition, if u want to open your options a little more, give yourself a try on Boston Acoustics, B & W or M & K speakers, and B & K Comp, Conrad-Johnson, McIntosh pre-amp/amp. They're fine brands. Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dk2k-04
    I haven't ever heard this model before, but all the Infinity speakers I have heard I liked alot. Personally I am not into home theatre at all, any "surround sound" that I do is with my 2 channel system, as is all my music listening. Whatever you decide, I would stick with the same brand, and even the same model if possible, as the front center. Your Yamaha does have a rear center too, so all you would need is some wire and the speaker. The only seperate center channel I see on Infinity's website is the "Infinity Primus CC" http://international.infinitysystems...nguage=ENGLISH

It may be a good match for the HCS.

Oh yeah... and just for future reference, I believe you might get more of a response if you posted this in the speakers category, rather than in the amps category, not that it matters to me, but it might to some people.

~Dk

What do you think of the quality of the Wharfedale Diamond Series ??

I was led to a retailer who has them...

For almost the same price of the Infinity Primus HSC set...I can get :

1- Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 pair for FRONTs ( or Diamond 8.4 pair for Double their price..he he..)

2- Diamond 8 center

3- Diamond DFS Bi-Pole surrounds

4- About $120 left for a SUB...

Any thoughts??

Below is a previous reply of mine; the gentleman needed a system for a large gym. However I think you may be interested in what I found! One call is giving free pair Infinity Primus 150 with orders over $399. You could get the receiver, rears and center and the front pair free. You could use a less expensive receiver to drive the Infinity, IMO, but that is a steal for that Onkyo. Hope this helps -

I think this would work quite well for you - Onecall.com is offering a free pair of Infinity Primus (stereophile recommended) speakers with any purchase over $399. They have a ton of speakers to select from, and they have the Onkyo TXSR601 clearance for $328. As you will not need club-like loudness, a heavy duty 6ch receiver such as this should work well for you. This will give you video switching, dual zone speaker switching of sources (play tv source in one room & stereo in other simultaneous), and 6 + speaker outputs and a tuner. Why load up a 2ch receiver with 6 speakers and risk blowing it? Go with a 5 - 7 ch. receiver, most can run in stereo mode with all channels driven. Onkyo has a 2yr parts and service warranty, the Infinity speakers have a 5yr warranty. This would sound good and come in under budget (you have a lot of interconnect & speaker wire to buy). I have always been fond of Onkyo, and this one makes the HK receiver look rather toyish, IMO.

$328 Onkyo TXSR601 http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_19263.htm

$480 / 4 Infinity Primus 6.5in http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_23708.htm

Free 2 Infinity primus 5.5 inch http://ww3.onecall.com/Promotions.m...2040&MPActive=1

$808 + sh = Total price reciever & 6 speakers -

there are many other speakers there, you could go larger or maybe a few pair of towers and still be in budget, but the Onkyo + the free pair look very good there for a start....

Infinity Primus 150 Stereophile review: http://www.stereophile.com/loudspea...ws/404infinity/
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Thread Information