AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile New Amplifier Suggestion

I have an Arcam AvR100, and I think it sounds better than many $1200 receivers.

I have been considering getting a better amp with more power, and have been considering tubes or a higher quality Solid State.

I have been to the dealer and they told me that Plinius is good but it sounds similar to ARCAM.

I have listened to Manley and Conrad Johnson Amps, I think were both tubes.

The Manley Stingray sounded very warm, dynamic and lush, definately a step up from Arcam.

I was not too keen on the Conrad, - they used some B&W speakers in the store, with a sub that was did not sound as krisp as the Rel I use. It was a little colored, I thought.

What are some mid priced amps that have the Arcam natural sound and weighty bass, but improve upon power, dynamics and distortion?

Regards,

John

Define "mid-priced" amps?
    What are you going to be using for a pre, your Arcam?
    What speakers are you driving and do they have any nasty impedence issues?

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question

I can use an integrated or pre - I think the Manley has a preamp built in.

What about the Blue Circle Amps/Preamps?

I have Heybrooks which are OK. I will likely upgrade to Harbeth, Spendor, Dynaudio, PMC, or Proac eventually - I like the english style speakers.

I will likely keep my Rel sub, but if I get a full range set of speakers I may use the Rel elsewhere. In fact if I get the amp and speakers, I can dedicate my current system to my home theatre, or my office.

Best Regards,

John

Hi John,

To be honest, I'd figure out what speakers you are going to upgrade to first and then find a complimenting amp that creates good synergy. The differences between speakers are far more dramatic than the difference between front end components.

The challenge of buying the amp before the speakers is that you don't know if it will compliment your speaker's strengths or play to their weekness'. What if you buy an OTL tube amp and later find the perfect speakers for you are Quad 989's? I sincerely doubt that type of amp will provide enough grip for the speaker so now you're stuck, right? Conversely, say you buy a brutish 300wpc ss amp and end up falling in love with a high efficiency speaker like RGA's AN's which are something like 95dB sensitive with dips to only 5 or 6 ohms. That amp is now a tad overkill, wouldn't you agree?

I apologize for not addressing your post per se, however I truly believe you need to get your speakers first.

Good luck

Forum Regular
    I agree, pick the speakers you want first. Then find a complimentary amp. It's all about synergy.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I kind of agree to decide on speakers first - but on the other hand certain tube amps I would not want to live without so I would want to choose a speaker that can be driven by 9 watt amps well.

SO my one note Audio Note recommendation will enter the foray once again. I had an Arcam Delta 290 which was a nice SS amp and like you felt it was better than most around the same price. I later to moved to Sugden but like you tubes have called. I was not impressed by a number of tube amps however, Conrad Johnson and Copland have done nothing for me. Audio Note's full system was the best I've heard and they are perhaps most noted for their Single Ended Zero feedback amplifiers which are actually fairly high powered compared to some others.

I had to do a total re-think of my system and have started with the speakers and will work backwards. A number of companies build the entire audio chain so that they can get the sound they want, Quad, Rega, Linn among others but I think Audio Note, arguably, is the most successful in that they make class leading gear(or right there) in every aspect of the audio chain from Speakers, Amplifiers,CD Players, Digital to Analog Converters, Turntables and Cabling. Audio Note is housed in the UK. I can't say their speakers sound British however.

I would not necessarily move from the Arcam at this stage - I think a lot of SS amps are not going to really do a whole lot better(they can but you'll need to spend a lot). I have not heard Heybrooks - if they present an easy load then I would recommend you give a listen to the Audio Note OTO SE(they have a cheaper Push Pull Version which is very nice and double the power but the SE version at 8 watts per channel) is truly a magical sounding amp with the right speakers. Interestingly the amp did wonders with some B&W N805s but when pushed the the amp can sound tube like and less accurate.

If you make an upgrade have an idea of the end goal. Buying individual units on passing fancy or because it got a good review doesn't help - everything gets a good review.

I've been down that road - find a great system that truly boggles your mind and attempt to buy it - the entire chain.

To be fair The Oto has had very good reviews without being IN and all Audio Note system as have their other products. The old Oto did well in Stereophile and Hi-fi CHoice among others but that's like saying mike Mussina is a good pitcher - he'd be good in Toronto but he is way better with the Yankees behind him kind of deal. SO few companies have the entire chain in mind - some will argue it doesn't matter - which is fine - try and hear an all Audio Note system someplace and compare it against anyone elses for the same money. You won't need a sub for music with the J or E. Both extend under 30hz.

Also a guy named Bob Neil at audioasylum is a dealer for both Audio Note(he's just picked them up not that long ago) and Blue Circle. You may want to inquire about Blue Circle - never heard products from this company.

Also Dynaudio is from Denmark. They make nice albeit non Tube friendly speakers. Spendor seems hit and miss depending which ones though I have not heard them in person. I know a fellow on AudioAsylum who loves the Audio Note speakers and also very much likes Spendor(though he says they sound different) so I am enthused to hear Spendor for myself. I think your list is very good - you've aobviously done a bit of digging so I added one more to the mix for ya.

Also if you end up wanting a SS amp try the Sugden A21a (It's the amp I wished had been used). It is a pure class A Single Ended no feedback(and IMO this matters because feedback makes THD look prettier than it really is) amp. It's the longest running SS amp available. Under $2kUS it's the amp I would buy. Above $2k I'd move into Audio Note and try other SETs.

Forum Regular

Does the dealer carry Plinius?

Quote Originally Posted by sbcaul
    I have an Arcam AvR100, and I think it sounds better than many $1200 receivers.

I have been considering getting a better amp with more power, and have been considering tubes or a higher quality Solid State.

I have been to the dealer and they told me that Plinius is good but it sounds similar to ARCAM.

I have listened to Manley and Conrad Johnson Amps, I think were both tubes.

The Manley Stingray sounded very warm, dynamic and lush, definately a step up from Arcam.

I was not too keen on the Conrad, - they used some B&W speakers in the store, with a sub that was did not sound as krisp as the Rel I use. It was a little colored, I thought.

What are some mid priced amps that have the Arcam natural sound and weighty bass, but improve upon power, dynamics and distortion?

Regards,

John
    If he does not and you came in asking about them his comment does not carry too much weight. If you want Harbeths or Dynaudio they both go very well with Plinius, as does B&W. I have a 250 IV and love it> I have heard lots of amps and still keep coming back to it as my favorite. I bought my amp to go with my N803 and eventually with a pair of Dynaudio C4.

Thread Information