Thread: Yamaha RX V2500

AR Newbie Registered Member

Yamaha RX V2500

Is it a good receiver? I got this for x-mas and was just wondering where it stands.

Another question: Is connecting 4ohm 140W max speakers to this going to damage it? I can only set the receiver to 6 or 8 ohm. I don't have the cash to go out and buy a good set of speakers but would like to get some surround sound going.

Speakers: 5 JVC speakers from a DVD surround package.
    4 ohm
    140w Max

Receiver:
    130-180W
    6 or 8 ohm

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Skribbles
    Is it a good receiver? I got this for x-mas and was just wondering where it stands.

Another question: Is connecting 4ohm 140W max speakers to this going to damage it? I can only set the receiver to 6 or 8 ohm. I don't have the cash to go out and buy a good set of speakers but would like to get some surround sound going.

Speakers: 5 JVC speakers from a DVD surround package.
    4 ohm
    140w Max

Receiver:
    130-180W
    6 or 8 ohm

Thanx
    I have the same receiver & think you're going to like it. Most of the people here have great equipment and will think of this as either a mid level or entry level receiver. To the rest of the real world this is a kick a$$ receiver that will last you for years.

The 4 ohm speakers should be OK as long as you don't try to play them too loud. Check to make sure the receiver isn't getting too hot when you are using it. If it sounds distorted, turn it down.

Welcome to AR
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Most of the people here have great equipment and will think of this as either a mid level or entry level receiver. To the rest of the real world this is a kick a$$ receiver that will last you for years.

The 4 ohm speakers should be OK as long as you don't try to play them too loud. Check to make sure the receiver isn't getting too hot when you are using it. If it sounds distorted, turn it down.

Welcome to AR
    Wholly high standards, GM...The RX-V2500 entry?
    Whoever tells you guys that needs a good slap upside the head. Yeah, there's better units out there, but there's hundreds underneath, for a fraction of the price. We'll call those "entry level". I've got an RX-V1400, guess that makes me sub-entry.

The 2500 is indeed a good receiver. Skribbles, the speakers should be okay as GM stated provided you don't drive them too hard. With the 6 ohm switch engaged, the protection circuitry should give you some warning. If you have a subwoofer, you can really cut your receiver some slack by setting the speaker size to "small" and letting the sub handle the bass frequencies. This lightens the power requirement and narrows the size of the impedance swings your amp has to deal with.

Welcome to AR.com!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Wholly high standards, GM...The RX-V2500 entry?
    Whoever tells you guys that needs a good slap upside the head. Yeah, there's better units out there, but there's hundreds underneath, for a fraction of the price. We'll call those "entry level". I've got an RX-V1400, guess that makes me sub-entry.

The 2500 is indeed a good receiver. Skribbles, the speakers should be okay as GM stated provided you don't drive them too hard. With the 6 ohm switch engaged, the protection circuitry should give you some warning. If you have a subwoofer, you can really cut your receiver some slack by setting the speaker size to "small" and letting the sub handle the bass frequencies. This lightens the power requirement and narrows the size of the impedance swings your amp has to deal with.

Welcome to AR.com!
    Hey thanks. I have seen others say it was an "upper entry level receiver". Even saw one person say that "it couldn't cut it." I thought I was gonna cry. But then I went home and turned it on. Screw them I thought. What the f.k do they know. It sounds great to me.

But aren't you using your 1400 as a pre-amp?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanx very much guys.

I'll be harassing you guys lots as I get more into this stuff.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey thanks. I have seen others say it was an "upper entry level receiver". Even saw one person say that "it couldn't cut it." I thought I was gonna cry. But then I went home and turned it on. Screw them I thought. What the f.k do they know. It sounds great to me.

But aren't you using your 1400 as a pre-amp?
    Yeah, I'm using it as a pre-amp/processor. Except for the center channel, I use the receiver for that. Mostly because I'm too lazy to add an extra amp to my rack and wire everything for it, oh well. I like the extra power, we listen to movies fairly loud, 85-95 dB average, and my room is quite large. Those Yammies start run out of headroom during the peaks with 7 channels going, and the amps are a modest improvement in sound. I think if I had to I could get by with it driving all my speakers though, but I had the amps anyway so why not?

Maybe someday I'll get a real pre/pro...but they're still just too pricey for the performance IMO.

Thread Information