• 10-11-2004, 08:39 PM
    musicguy04
    Yamaha RX-V2400 as pre/pro?
    Has anyone had experience using the Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro? How does it color the sound, if at all? I was wondering if anyone has used it before in that capacity.
  • 10-18-2004, 03:37 AM
    mario53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by musicguy04
    Has anyone had experience using the Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro? How does it color the sound, if at all? I was wondering if anyone has used it before in that capacity.

I have the same question
    I would like to use my two mono power amps (Marantz Esotec MA-5) to drive the front speakers and let the Yamaha drive the other speakers. But before buying it I would like to know how it will work in terms of sound quality
  • 10-18-2004, 04:08 AM
    kexodusc
    I use the RX-V1400 as a pre/pro. I almost bought some Anthem HT processor unit from my Paradigm dealer last year, and looked at some Rotel stuff too, but in the end I couldn't beat the value a decent A/V receiver offers.
    At first I used a Parasound amp for the front mains, then 2 Adcom's...I have 7 speakers connected, the receiver drives the 2 rear speakers in my setup...it has no problems at all.
    I don't notice any colorations or anything like that. This Yamaha unit is NOT bright sounding at all. Very neutral. It has a surprising amount of power and doesn't sound half bad on its own too.
    I use it occasionally for 2-channel stereo too, it's not bad, but I use a Rotel integrated in another room as my main system. When I finally get around to buying a DVD-A/SACD player I'll have some decisions to make.
    Just curious...why the RX-V2400 over the 1400?
  • 10-22-2004, 09:38 PM
    spacedeckman
    You won't find any better for a lot more money
    Have a couple of friends doing just that. Much better processing/switching than pre/pros at 4x the price. Put the money into the amps and speakers.
  • 10-24-2004, 05:02 AM
    mario53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    Have a couple of friends doing just that. Much better processing/switching than pre/pros at 4x the price. Put the money into the amps and speakers.

Yes this is what I want to do put the money into amps but still keep my two Marants mono amps

Therefore I think I will probably test and choose between Arcam and Rotel which have the most musical and high quality A/V amps for HT
    I will check which one will better fit with my two Marantz mono amps (front speakers)
    What do you think ?
  • 10-24-2004, 05:16 AM
    kexodusc
    Mario53:
    I like Rotel and Arcam, they make some good products.
    I really think you should do yourself a favor. Put the Yamaha on your short list too. When I was shopping a year ago, I was ready to buy either Rotel or Anthem for the high quality sound.
    The Yamaha's pre/pro section is amazing, I dare say as good as the Rotel and Anthem...with power amps added you could accomplish the same goal, only cheaper.
    It wouldn't cost you much to at least try it.
    I ended up buying a nice Rotel integrated to dedicate for 2-channel stereo, and the Yamaha receiver for HT and still saved some money.
  • 10-24-2004, 06:37 AM
    spacedeckman
    Buy the Arcam amp...I won't stop you...Amazing piece
    of gear.

Also really like the Parasound Halo stuff.

Again, using the Yamaha, you open up a huge budget for amplfiers when compared to the "real" preamp processors. I will admit though, that Arcam A8 is a "showstopper", but if it isn't in your cards today, you are on the right path. At present, I would have to do the same thing.