AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Yamaha RX-596 frustrations

I purchased a great Yamaha RX-596 amp/receiver several months ago. Everything design wise is great on it. I have 4 sets of speakers going thru a Monster Cable box thru-out my house. If I turn on the radio, I can listen to my favorite FM or AM stations great. But let me try to play a CD or DVD disc and the unit shuts off at 1/4 volume or less. Sometimes it will play for hours without shutting off, othertimes within a minute it will shut off. Now I went to Yamaha's site and there's a FAQ on this, and it details speaker wiring and such. My question is if its speaker wiring then I should not be able to listen to any radio stations thru it without it cutting off.
    I really would rather go get a wisdom tooth taken out rather than start dealing with my ceiling speaker wires going into a stationary cabinet where the receiver is. I tested all of my components prior to having the builder bolt the cabinet into the wall.

Any ideas or similar problems with this unit? I do appreciate it shutting off rather than burning the unit up, but it does me no good if I can only listen to the radio.

Thanks audiophiles

Forum Regular
    I agree with you that if the speaker wires were the problem then the tuner should also have problems. I mean this is a very good receiver! If your connections are ok to your cd player then I think you may have to take the receiver in to be checked out. If it is only a few months old it should still be under warranty. Incidentally, do you think the cd player could be the problem? Maybe have it checked too. Double check those connections though just in case. Good luck.

Thread Information