AR Newbie Registered Member

Need advice on getting the most out of my speakers

This is my first time here...so howdy!

To the point...I need some guidance on what a/v receiver or pre/pro I should look into in order to get the most out of my speakers. I currently have:

Def Tech:

Fronts: 2x Mythos ST's
    Center: CLR3000
    Surr: 2x BPVX/P
    Sub: Supercube 1

Room: 16'x14' (speakers facing the 14' side)

I am a bestbuy employee, so I have access to Denon a/v receivers with a great discount. The main receiver I am interested in now is the Denon AVR-5308CI. but this is not set in stone...hence why I am here asking your advice

$5000 is my ceiling...with $3000 being preferable. Pre/pro or a/v receiver, whichever sounds best. I like the bells and whistles of the 5308CI...but ultimately I want the best sound I can pull from these speakers in both HT setup and stereo.

Thanks for your help.

-James

Suspended
    I've got my eye on this preamp; http://www.widescreenreview.com/news...l.php?id=15112

When did BB pick up Denon or is it just in Magnolia? Would you use all the features on the 5308?

For your budget there are some good options. It really depends on what your main listening habit is, HT or music. And, what are your "must have" features.

Smile

Well....mostly I want my theater sound to be as pristine as possible....but I am quickly learning that I love just sitting and listening to music while I work. These speakers, even on my old yamaha (htr-5560), have brought out the music lover in me with their nice sound The Best Buy's with Magnolia departments carry the full Denon lineup (minus the 5308 & AVP-A1HD, I am getting the 5308 through manufacture accomidations)

so...features I will use on the 5308:

-6in/2out HDMI connectivity (big screen and monitor for computer..I like the ability to use my LCD as my comp monitor or directv...and vice versa)

-Video scaler. My tv's scaler absolutely blows (it's only a pixel doubler to upscale to 1080p)
    -HD radio is neat...but I never listen to my current radio...so wouldn't miss that.
    -RS-232C is important for future plans...but not a deal breaker.
    -Video select is absolutely vital (ability to have the DVD input display the TV/Sat video, but still play the DVD sound, i know...I'm weird)

Must haves would be:

-Premium video scaler
    -HDMI connectivity (at least 4 in, ps3, directv, xbox360, computer...yes...i'm a gamer)Although, if it came down to a big difference in audio quality, I could forsake this one.
    -10hz-30khz (specified range on speakers)
    -Dolby TrueHD
    -DTS Master Audio

My music habits are all over the place....a few examples (in order of favorite)

Queen
    Floyd
    Enigma
    Nine Inch Nails
    Robert Miles
    Stabbing Westward
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Electronica
    Bush
    Tool
    The Cure
    Depeche Mode
    with the occassional craving for some easy listening piano/cello concerto

I would be willing to comprimise HT sound for music a little....but not a lot....so for importance I would put it at 60/40 music/HT...maybe 55/45.

I want something that can deliver solid and non-canned mids, clean highs and a rich low. (vague i know...but its the best I can come up with)

Suspended
    I have not heard the 5308 and a manufacturer direct purchase used to be a discount you couldn't hardly refuse. Usually separates provide better sound. The Marantz link I posted shows the preamp will have all those features. At this point not many high end preamps have the HDMI and HD audio formats. HD radio is a nice feature and one I'd like on my next HT preamp. HD can pick up additional stations your analog tuner cannot. So far it's commercial free and usually provides a better variety or deeper tracks because they can get away with it without answering to advertisers. The 5308 does offer a lot of nice surround features via the THX Ultra 2 package. I'd say the 5308 would be plenty of receiver for your speakers and better sound than you've had before. I mean there is better sound but for the money, having to wait until higher end catches up, you might as well take advantage of your opportunity.

What other electronics does Magnolia carry? I think I heard they carry Martin Logan which I really like.

Thanks for your insight. I am glad to hear that the 5308 will be plenty for these speakers. I know they're not the best of the best...but since I got them through an accomidations as well...i figured I'd spend the money I saved from the speakers on a better receiver to get the absolute most out of them.

Now just 2 months of waiting to get them (saving up the last $1000)....I hate waiting.

Magnolia does carry the entire Martin Logan line...the whole line may not be on display at the store, but they are all available to order. We also have Pioneer Elite (a/v receivers, dvd/bd, plasma)...Vienna Acoustics, Mirage, DefTech & Klipsch Ref(i think)...oh..and can't forget Bose (hah)
    Last edited by kibon; 02-02-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Suspended
    Does Magnolia carry any separates? Most Martin Logans would need more than a receiver to drive them properly.

no seperates. although I'm sure the standalone magnolia stores (west coast) carry a much wider range of products than the in-store magnolia.

Thread Information