• 01-03-2007, 05:12 AM
    Doron Or
    XLR Vs RCA (please excuse my Ignorance)
    Hello,

I am considering to reaplce my Meridian 541 preamp (RCA connections only) to a Meridian G02 hooked to my Meridian G57.
    Both the G02 and G57 have Balanced (XLR) connections but my Player, a Meridian 596 has only RCA.
    Now to my silly questions:
    1. What is the practical advantage of balanced connections (I understand the noise floor is reduced by 3db but does it create a significant/noticable improvement in sound reproduction?).
    2. Is there an advantage hooking my Meridian 596 through RCA terminated interconnects to the G02 and balaced XLR thereafter?
    And in the same note is there any point in hooking my 596 with RCA to XLR terminated interconnects so it hooks into the XLR connections in the G02 and XLR thereafter?

Thanks in advance,

Doron
  • 01-03-2007, 06:10 AM
    Feanor
    To get you started
    Others here might be able to give you a more complete answer, but I believe my comments are accurate so far as they go ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doron Or
    Hello,

I am considering to reaplce my Meridian 541 preamp (RCA connections only) to a Meridian G02 hooked to my Meridian G57.
    Both the G02 and G57 have Balanced (XLR) connections but my Player, a Meridian 596 has only RCA.
    Now to my silly questions:

1. What is the practical advantage of balanced connections (I understand the noise floor is reduced by 3db but does it create a significant/noticable improvement in sound reproduction?).
    "Balanced" connections are preferred for professional applications in particular because balanced is largely immune to interference, i.e. to additional noise being injected over the length of the connecting cables.
    2. Is there an advantage hooking my Meridian 596 through RCA terminated interconnects to the G02 and balaced XLR thereafter?
    Yes, especially if the G02 => G57 connection is truely balanced.
    And in the same note is there any point in hooking my 596 with RCA to XLR terminated interconnects so it hooks into the XLR connections in the G02 and XLR thereafter?
    No, there is no advantage to this since the 596 remains "single-ended" even though it is connected via XLR.
    Thanks in advance,

Doron

With a true, "balanced" connection there are separate positive, negative, and ground leads; both the positive and negative leads carry signal. The + and - signals are active, (i.e. supplying voltage differential), but 180 degrees out of phase, that is, while the + signal is "pushing", the - signal is "pulling" and vice versa. With a "single-end" signal the + signal alternately pushes and pulls while the combined ground/- lead just passively accepts or supplies the electron flow.

Most amps with balanced, (XLR), inputs will work with a single-ended signal via hybrid cables or adaptor, however with truely balanced inputs they will get +6dB gain. Some, such as my Monarchy SM-70 Pros, work better (or only) with truly balanced connections since the the + and - signals are handled through by separate circuits, somewhat analogous to a bridged stereo amp.
  • 01-04-2007, 07:33 AM
    Doron Or
    Thank you very much for your input!

Happy new year!

Doron

My setup:
    Meridian 596
    Meridian 541
    Meridian G57
    Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home
    Madrigal Labs MDC-1 Interconnects
    Cardas Crosslink Speaker Cables