which would ya get

what amp would you go for if you were buying a class d amp. i need a power amp some time down the line. preferrable 100 or 150 wpc at 8 ohms. price range around 500 dollars max. new or used, or considering whats out there you think i should go with a class ab amp. i like the miserly power consumption of the class d amps. but i dont know af any brands out there that have them besides the carver sunfire. reliability issues? anyone? it should sound musical driving a good range of speakers. taut bass. highs with out sounding strained. midrange clear and cosice. so any good brands come to mind while reading this here? could go with integrated if possiblebut seperates ok. i was first wowed by the carver sunfire when reading about it in a stereo mag when i was a kid, such high power handling.

Ajani
    I can only think of two off hand... neither in your price range though.

Rotel RB-1072, 100 watts, $900

&

PS Audio Trio A100, also 100 watts, $1K

My respect for Class D continues to grow daily. Ajani's choices are good, also I think the Channel Islands Audio offering is inexpensive and offers good performance. I think Class D pisses a lot of the punters of because it is smaller, simpler, and more efficient than the established technologies. Could it be that many in 'the establishment' are nervous about sound quality which is too good for comfort, given the potential to manufacture amps for a lot less money? Having said that, not all Class D is created equal - not by a long chalk.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Since you mentioned you could go for an integrated and your budget is $500 and you would like Class D to me the winner in a new int. amp is the Onkyo A-9555. 85 watts per channel and transparent sound with good bass and smooth highs.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Since you mentioned you could go for an integrated and your budget is $500 and you would like Class D to me the winner in a new int. amp is the Onkyo A-9555. 85 watts per channel and transparent sound with good bass and smooth highs.

onkyo makes class d amps? any particular web site spring to mind? this is quite interesting would like to read more into this model. i think il check out their website. or maybe at audioreview site ill definitly check.
    Last edited by budgetaudio76; 04-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    My respect for Class D continues to grow daily. Ajani's choices are good, also I think the Channel Islands Audio offering is inexpensive and offers good performance. I think Class D pisses a lot of the punters of because it is smaller, simpler, and more efficient than the established technologies. Could it be that many in 'the establishment' are nervous about sound quality which is too good for comfort, given the potential to manufacture amps for a lot less money? Having said that, not all Class D is created equal - not by a long chalk.
    havent heard of channel audio? what is thier price range? every one should keep in mind though, that it will be a while till i can buy one. but it is great that this info can be given for when i will be able to buy one. what about used ones as well or would that be too risky considering that someone might be selling theirs because its not switching right?!again thank you all for your input and keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I can only think of two off hand... neither in your price range though.

Rotel RB-1072, 100 watts, $900

&

PS Audio Trio A100, also 100 watts, $1K

are these two integrated amps as well. sorry ?s sound dumb as i havent really read about audio in years. i used to buy a bunch of audio mags when i was a kid.

Suspended
    The Sunfires aren't Class D, are they?

You might also take a look at NuForce www.acousticsounds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The Sunfires aren't Class D, are they?

You might also take a look at NuForce www.acousticsounds.com
    i thought they were...perhaps they are a switching amp something like that.

Suspended
    It's been a long time since I looked at Carver's theory and I'm not sure what he uses on Sunfire but you are going to make me Google again. Carver ranks just below Bose on my list. Some of his stuff didn't sound too bad when it worked.

Certain Sunfire amps do use Class T. Some others use some kind of down converting patented technology that may be the same thing, I don't know. I wasn't able to find exactly a good explanation. The Sunfire Signature reviews sounded so good I wanted to run out and listen to one. Accept I think everyone here in town who picked up Sunfire dropped it about as fast.

Thread Information