Worth the extra dough to upgrade my preamp?

Wassahhhhp,

So, I have a YS Audio Experience Symphonies Plus Tube preamp which I think is great- especially for the tree-fitty I spent for it on EBay.

http://www.ys-audio.com/sp+.htm

However, I am going to be getting a new DAC next week which has balanced outputs (It is the PS Digital Link III for all interested). The preamp that I am looking at is the bigger brother of the one I already have. It, too, has balanced jacks.

http://www.ys-audio.com/a2.htm

Also, the amp I plan on getting also has balanced inputs- see the pattern here? ha ha Again, for all who are interested, I plan on getting the Parasound Halo A23.

A few questions:

1. Do you dudes think that the upgrade to the balanced A2 preamp is worth the circa $1100 I need to shell out?

2. Is it even worth paying the extra clams for balanced gear? I make my own solid silver audio cables which are relatively unshielded and have never noticed any noise in my system other than minimal noise naturally caused by my tube pre.

(and now....the money shot)

3. What would you all buy if you had $3K for a DAC, pre and amp? If you could suggest new equipment it would make things a little more real since it is readily available.

As always, thanks for your time and expertise,

J
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Ajani
    I would suggest upgrading just one component at a time... See if you like the DAC, before changing pre and amp...

Also, you could just get a DAC/Pre like the Benchmark HDR, Wyred4Sound DAC 2 or Bel Canto 1.5 / 2.5 or even an integrated amp/DAC like the Bel Cantp C5i...

I'm with Ajani on this one. Changing more than one component at a time introduces too many new and different variables.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Damn you! :)

Is my little woman paying you guys to whisper sense into my ear? I thought that audioreview.com was the last place she would find me.....!

You guys are right I should kill two birds with one stone and go with the Benchmark,

More to mull.....uggggghhhh.

J
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Suspended
    The Benchmark is said to be good but who knows if you will like it better than the
    PS Audio. I think the main point was to take one step at a time in order to evaluate each move on it's own merit. I would not just assume the Benchmark is a better move than the PSA solely for sound quality.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The Benchmark is said to be good but who knows if you will like it better than the
    PS Audio. I think the main point was to take one step at a time in order to evaluate each move on it's own merit. I would not just assume the Benchmark is a better move than the PSA solely for sound quality.
    Yep, The Benchmark HDR is a good option if you must replace both DAC and Pre at the same time... However, the Benchmark and PS Audio are supposed to sound different (based on all the comparisons I've read - I've never tried the PS Audio) and most persons gravitate to one or the other... So you may prefer the sound of the PS Audio...

Anyway, back to the main point: It's best to just change one component at a time...

I would consider this preamp from avahifi.com http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?opt...=67&Itemid=203

I own a Parasound Halo A21 amp and run it with an AVA hybrid tube preamp and hybrid DAC and they play very well together. There is a 30 day money back guarentee if you don't like the sound. AVA customer service is second to none. Give Frank VanAlstine a call. He always answers his phone.

Check out the VanAlstine section from www.audiocirle.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp