Thread: Amplifier Help.

Forum Regular

Amplifier Help.

Hey, i'm new to this forum and im needing some advice.

I have a set of Cerwin Vega VE-12 speakers and a Yamaha RX-V359 AV receiver rated 100watts RMS a channel & my speakers rated at 210 RMS each.

Im struggling to get deep or any decent bass at all from my speakers... and Cerwin Vega are known for BASS. Pretty much all the bass i get comes my subwoofer 8" inch Gale subwoofer. I have all the relevant settings on my amplifier set correctly. All the mids and treble are 100% perfect and goes stupidly loud without distortion. I have all my connections via optical and i play from music sources such as my xbox 360 and my pc with music purchased with Itunes.

Bascially i'm asking do i need a better more powerful amplifier? If so i've heard NAD are good with Cerwin vega. But i still want to connect all my electronics to the amplifier like my xbox 360 pc etc its just NAD have very few connections in the back and only phono connections which i can see.

Can anyone help please? I would be very greatful.

Suspended
    It could be as simple as the speakers not being in phase, be sure your red terminal on the receiver goes to red (+) on the speaker and same with black. Out of phase will seriously reduce bass.

The fact you are using mp3 is also going to limit bass response.

Are you using the surround features on the receiver? Is the lack of bass still happening when just in stereo? I know you checked settings but your receiver's menu for setting up speakers is set to "large" for the fronts, right? That receiver has A/B main speaker hook ups, make sure only one set is turned on. Sometimes these switches are wired in series and could limit your power output.

If just stereo use the NAD would be quite an improvement.

The 100 watt rating Yamaha gives is only at 1kHz but it should still push a pair of CV's. Does it make much difference in the mains when you boost the bass control? If it isn't something simple like mentioned above, I suspect it has to be a setting. You can try a couple things, set the internal set up to "no sub" to see if bass then increases in the mains, if so, I'd say a setting is wrong some where for what you want to do. If not, well then there is definitely a problem If you still can't get bass then you have to either borrow another receiver or speakers to try to pinpoint where the problem is.

Do the woofers on the CV move at all?

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks for the reply MR.Peabody.

I took out my amplifier. Cut all the wires with fresh heads and re-fitted them to my speakers and amplifier. I checked over and over that they were set correctly. "- & +"
    I then re-set all the settings on the amplifier to defult, then made sure it was set to my setup being "Right speaker and Left speaker & Subwoofer." With Centre & surround channels set to off. Still it sounds flat bass just a weak duh duh duh.... at -20db with my sub giving all the lovely bass it can. I really am confused my old Philips system had more bass than these CV'S and they were 6"inch speakers with its own amp that was a long time ago when i wasnt to bothred about speakers and such.

Do you think a new amp will really make a difference to these speakers? i really have to have the amp at its limits to get any sort of bass from them... at some frequenses of music or games you get oh wow bass... nice bass too then its gone. Oh and when i play some R&B tracks there is a sort of bass. But nothing to write home about. But with Tweeters and mids sound perfect nothing at all wrong with them sometimes when i play my xbox i get a slight spike like a "pop, crackle" noise now and then. I know this can damage speakers.

Hope you can help me mate

plus:

My amp was purchased just over a year ago now which was £200 and my CV'S are about 8 months old and cost me over £330.

Suspended
    Were the Phillips hooked to the Yamaha? If so, it must be the CV's. But CV's are known for big bass. It could be that even though the CV's are easy to push the Yamaha don't have the jewels to drive 12's. Anyone you know have an amp you can borrow?

Try setting your receiver to "no sub" inside the set up menu, if you don't get bass then....... Setting the receiver to "no sub" will send all bass to the mains, so if you don't hear any there is a problem. And, you will have to try either another anp or different speakers.

It sounds like you bought the speakers new so everything on the inside should be alright. The tweeters have a protection circuit and the woofer has a fuse, if you are getting some bass then everything should be fine.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig300
    I have all the relevant settings on my amplifier set correctly. All the mids and treble are 100% perfect and goes stupidly loud without distortion. I have all my connections via optical and i play from music sources such as my xbox 360 and my pc with music purchased with Itunes.
    Hey Greig,

I suspect that Mr. P. was onto something with the mention of MP3 files/ITunes. That said, are you sure that all the settings on your player are optimized? Maybe check the output on the 360 to optimize it for the sound you're looking for. I'm betting that you have a "small,small,sub" setup, meaning that the machine is sending all the bass signals to the sub output via the optical. Try running all settings at "large" though you may want to be careful what you wish for---this might result in exaggerated bass. In any case, its worth a shot.

Welcome to the forum.

---sticks

Forum Regular
    No my Philips sytem was an complete system with the Philips amplifier pretty expensive system in the 90's. It died because the speaker surrounds rotted and i gave away the amp.

Unfortunately i dont have an amplifier that i can borrow for my Cerwin Vegas. I have tried every combo on my amplifier no sub/with sub... everythings set correctly Large Front speakers etc. My xbox 360 is set to Dolby prologic 2 in Stereo mode. The MP3 quality in Itunes is not the problem it sounds terrific just the bass isnt coming into the CV'S as i would hope from a 12"inch speaker. The subwoofer is fine though hits every freq. I have tried CD's too still i get the same results.

Thank you for your replys!

most likely the amp cuts off the bass to the speakers and sends it to the sub. disable the sub in the amp's settings and try again (just stereo, Left and right, NO sub.) if there is still no bass from the speakers, it's either the amp, the crappy mp3's or a problem with your room (if the bass is being reflected from the rear wall, it cancels out the bass...)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    most likely the amp cuts off the bass to the speakers and sends it to the sub. disable the sub in the amp's settings and try again (just stereo, Left and right, NO sub.) if there is still no bass from the speakers, it's either the amp, the crappy mp3's or a problem with your room (if the bass is being reflected from the rear wall, it cancels out the bass...)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

I have switched the sub off on the amplifier i have tried this many times still it sounds the same.

Suspended
    I think you may have said the problem. What did you mean when you said, "Dolby Pro Logic "in" stereo"? Your Xbox needs to be in "stereo" for music. If you have the Xbox set to Pro Logic it's sending most of the sound to the center and probably internally crossing over the 5 channels. Of course, you are using other sources too..... What did you play the CD's on? Is the bass lacking when listening to radio? What gauge wire are you using?

Are these the only speakers you had hooked to the Yamaha?

Forum Regular
    Im not sure what cable im using i know its not cheap stuff its thick. I have used Tannoy Speakers before on the same amp that were 19 years old...i sold them. Same story played loud no bass even though it has 2x 8inch cones on each cabnet i just thought the were finsihed being so old. I had them on a Denon amp previously and they thumped! before one of the channels blew. I then bought the yamaha amp no bass but i was ok at the time as i had the subwoofer it still sounded nice. I sold the tannoys for £75 on ebay not bad i suppose. I then bought the cv’s knowing they were big bass but ive been seriously let down. Anyway, There is no bass on Radio. I have to play the Cerwin vegas at defining levels to get any sort of bass... im talking near the max capacity of the amp. But the Audio its self is perfect no distortion at all. From the mids or treble. I noticed at the back of the amp it says 6OHM and my CV'S are 8OHM when i bought the amp it said it was compatible with both.fficeffice" />>>
    Last edited by Greig300; 09-24-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Suspended
    OK, our only conclusion, the Yamaha is a piece of crap, you need to buy an amp with some balls. In receivers look for an Onkyo or vintage Harmon Kardon. If your budget allows some used Adcom separates will give you what you are looking for. Even a lower power NAD would get the CV's off the ground.

Actually, if you are interested I have an Adcom gfa-5400 for sale in excellent condition,
    125x2 into 8 ohms. This amp rocked a pair of 4 ohm Dynaudio so I have no doubt it will slap the CV's around the room. You'd have to email or PM.

Forum Regular
    ok im going to buy a new amp which should i buy im looking at:

NAD c372 with 150watts 2 channels
    NAD 319 125watts 2 channels

my only problem is how can i plug optical cables and use dolby etc? i would still like the digital connections and the power. These amps only have phono. red & white is there any other amps you think i should be looking for?

thanks for all your replys

Suspended
    I haven't heard the two NAD amps. There is a Music Hall integrated or receiver with built in DAC which would let you use optical for 2 channel. If you want 5.1 you should look at a NAD HT receiver or go back to the Cambridge.

Here's the Music Hall, Mambo:
    http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp3.html

Interestingly I believe the reviewer is using B&W speakers.

Thread Information