Worth it?

Printable View

• 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
    Enochrome
    Worth it?
    There is no receiver forum, so I am posting my question here.

I have an opportunity to buy a Marantz 2220b receiver for $75. Is that worth it?
    Would it improve the sound of my vinyl over my newer Pioneer VSX-919 receiver driven
    by a Audio-Technica PEQ3 preamp?

I have Grado Blue cart and Paradigm Mini Monitor V.6's.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
  • 04-08-2010, 12:58 AM
    basite
    the 22xx series from marantz were well built, sound great, and look awesome.
    $75 seems like a reasonable price, if it's in good condition.

But, keep in mind, the 2220b is only a 20watt/ch receiver. Quite some difference from you pioneer. The phono section might be better, the sound might be more pleasant for listening to vinyl, and to music in general, but 20watt/channel isn't much...

If you're not listening to your music loud, you are not interested in surround, and you more like the warmer, fuller stereo sound, you might want to consider it.

But if it were my money, I'd be looking for a 2230b or 2245 or better...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 04-08-2010, 02:10 AM
    thekid
    $75 is not too bad a price for a Marantz 22XX series receiver if it is in good shape. It is only 20 wpc but Marantz of that era tend to sound bigger than their stated power. You could hold out for 2230 or larger from that series but be prepared to pay 2,3 or 4 times the price of the 2220.

I think Basite's description is on target and alot of the sound quality you get from it will depend on what speakers you plan to match with it, anything that is fairly efficient should do well. I cannot comment on the phono section because even though I have a 2245 I have never used it for vinyl. my guess is that since it came from the era of vinyl it will do fine.
  • 04-08-2010, 02:25 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    $75 is not too bad a price for a Marantz 22XX series receiver if it is in good shape. It is only 20 wpc but Marantz of that era tend to sound bigger than their stated power. You could hold out for 2230 or larger from that series but be prepared to pay 2,3 or 4 times the price of the 2220.

in another thread "vinyl+surround sound" the OP got a 2230b in really good shape for a mere $100, and didn't even had to look for it that long...

Do a local search on Craiglist, who knows what you might find...

and when paired with very efficient speakers, the 20 watts might be enough, but more headroom is always good...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM
    Enochrome
    Paradigm's Mini's would compliment?
    My listening room is 10 x 20, so it is relatively small. My speakers are Paradigm Mini Monitors are very efficient, as I've witnessed ( I never even get to the 1+db area in volume on my reveiver) So i think 20 watts is enough. I just wanted a classic piece and thought it could compliment my acoustic and classical records and the Grado Blue.
  • 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
    02audionoob
    I think it's a decent price. I got more than that when I sold my Marantz 1040, which is an integrated amp of similar vintage and same power. My 1040 was not nearly enough power for my taste. I was using it with some efficient JBL bookshelf speakers. Bookshelf is a loose term in that regard, though...the JBL's are 3-way with 8-inch woofers.

I was happy with the sound quality of that amp. I just ultimately didn't have a need for it. I thought my Marantz 1090 (sold long ago) was a nice-sounding amp that actually did have enough power for my taste, so in that regard I'm agreeing with thekid and basite. I'd hold out for more power if you're going to drive your speakers with a vintage receiver, as opposed to using it as a preamp.
  • 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
    basite
    there's a 2275 on craiglist for $325, okay, that's quite a difference in price, but that's a really decent receiver, and will drive most commercial speakers today...
    you could try offering himg 275, or 300 or maybe even 250 if you're lucky he'll take it...

i'll look for some more things...
  • 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    there's a 2275 on craiglist for $325, okay, that's quite a difference in price, but that's a really decent receiver, and will drive most commercial speakers today...
    you could try offering himg 275, or 300 or maybe even 250 if you're lucky he'll take it...

i'll look for some more things...

That's the AR spirit! Good on you for helping out.
    There is always a deal lurking out there if you have the patience.
  • 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
    Enochrome
    What about a Marantz 2238 for $150 off Ebay?? I know the numerical
    succession of these units is misleading.
  • 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
    02audionoob
    What do you mean about the misleading numerical succession?

Anyway...the price seems ok if it includes shipping. It's probably just a bit high, but not so much that it would bother me if I were interested in it.
  • 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
    Enochrome
    I remember reading on this, or another forum, that just because the model number is higher it does not necessarily mean better.
  • 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome
    I remember reading on this, or another forum, that just because the model number is higher it does not necessarily mean better.

with 22xx series, the last 2 numbers represent the amplifiers output per channel, thus, with the 2220 = 20 watts/ch, the 2238 = 38 watts/ch, and the 2275 = 75watts/ch

The 2275 was the top of the line receiver back then from marantz.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 04-09-2010, 03:01 AM
    Feanor
    I agree with the consensus that the 2220B is worth $75 or a bit more, (up to $120 in realy good condition).

The 2220B was a lower end model:

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/mz2220Bf.jpg

(With apology to basite), the top of the line Marantz of that era was the 2325, (125 wpc), which can go for $500 on eBay ...

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2325.jpg
  • 04-09-2010, 03:52 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    (With apology to basite), the top of the line Marantz of that era was the 2325, (125 wpc), which can go for $500 on eBay ...

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2325.jpg

ooh,

Thanks for the correction :), I always thought the 23xx series was produced later than the 22xx series...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
    02audionoob
    The numbers in the 23xx range are simply more of the 22xx series but with greater than 100 wpc.
  • 04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
    harley .guy07
    I believe that with my knowledge of the mini monitors being that they don't require a lot of power to sound good and they are fantastic speakers in their respective price class that this receiver should be powerful enough to power them to most listenable levels unless you crank it up to louder levels then i would look for something with more power but overall with most music I would give it a try at 75 bucks. It seems these marantz units were some of the better receivers in the 70's and could be a good buy especially if you are a vinyl listener since they seem to have a very good phono section in them from what I have heard and they look like they were built well and sturdy.
  • 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
    02audionoob
    Speaking of being built well, this Marantz ad tells the story of a 2270 that survived quite an ordeal...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/...a1c1d7ca7d.jpg
  • 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
    Enochrome
    Thanks for the info and that add is awesome!! I lost out on that 2220, but I am still looking for the suggested models. Yet, I was thinking of first investing in one of those chinese tube preamplifiers or a Bellari, and then work on the vintage solid state. My current receiver has a great "analog pure direct" option that prevents any unecessary coloring and the PEQ3 is very neutral, limited, but neutral. I'd like to explore that warmer tone for my acoustics lp's.

Is the amount of tubes in a preamp related to how much power it can give out?

Cheers!!
  • 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
    02audionoob
    I've always wondered why the gain on the Bellari is so low, but it's not that it's one lonely tube. The amplification is done by op amps. It's sort of a hybrid type of design...not an all tube preamp.