• 02-07-2005, 01:37 PM
    Will this vintage receiver play that funky music?
    I just dug up an old vintage 1970's (1980's ?) receiver, a Technics SA-700, S/N: AJ9117HO25, and a pair of speakers, Lancer by Soundcraft, that weigh more than most 5.1 systems combined. On the back of the receiver, it states that it is rated at 300W, but it does not state what ohms it can handle. I was hoping that back-in-the-day, these receivers were conservatively rated and could easily handle driving 4 ohm speakers. The electronics are all working including analog tuner dials and strength gauges, L/R lighted LED for power output, and a few other dials no longer comon on today's receivers. The back has RCA hookups for two tape decks, phono input, and one auxiliary. It also supports up to four speakers and is capable of driving an external amp.

The speakers, which probably did not come with the receiver, are rather peculiar. They have a 12" woofer, 10" midrange and a horn mounted in the middle of the midrange. The cones are not paper, or look like a more substantial material, although there is a missing/torn foam screen behind one of the horns. I don't think it was functional beyond keeping dust out, so I think that's OK. The speaker grilles are made of heavy, orange and black plaid looking material and probably don't help the sound in any way. They were very dusty and I did my best to clean them w/o damaging anything. They are not ported speakers, that I can tell, and I can't wait to hear them.

So, is any of this stuff good enough to provide basic background music in our work room? Is it a higher end receiver or are the speakers? Is the receiver really capable of 300W? Can I connect a modern CD player to it? If the receiver is bad, can I drive the speakers with a modern receiver?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • 02-07-2005, 03:42 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    So, is any of this stuff good enough to provide basic background music in our work room? Is it a higher receiver or are the speakers? Is the receiver really capable of 300W? Can I connect a modern CD player to it? If the receiver is bad, can I drive the speakers with a modern receiver?

Any help would be appreciated.

In order or your questions:
    Plug it in and find out.
    No clue. Why does it matter?
    Probably not. There are only few manufacturers that actually publish real wattage.
    Absolutely. It is sending an analog signal just like anything else.
    Sure, as long as their impedence isn't too hairy. Based on your description, they sound like high efficiency designs so you should be fine.
  • 02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
    Technics in the 70's
    A friend of mine told me that Technics made pretty solid receivers in the 70's and that there are several websites that discuss these. I've been searching, but have not found much. Does anyone know of some that I could check out?
  • 02-08-2005, 11:37 AM
    ericl
    I am a big fan of those 1970's amps and receivers. They were built much better back then and the money went to sound quality instead of bells and whistles like on todays' mass market gear. They can be a great value. I have several, from HK, Yamaha, Marantz, they're all great. I don't know about Technics but I'd bet its pretty good.

I shouldn't be sending people to the competition, but check AudioAsylum.com's Vintage Gear Forum and search the archives or ask people there.

-Eric
  • 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Is the receiver really capable of 300W?

No, you are reading the power consumption not output. More than one source I googled rated it at 100 watts/channel.

Quote:

Can I connect a modern CD player to it?

Sure as it is considered another line source such as tuner, tape, aux, etc.

rw
  • 02-08-2005, 03:33 PM
    markw
    "Can I connect a modern CD player to it?"
    Yes, to any available input EXCEPT the phono input. It'll overdrive it and will sound like drek.
  • 02-11-2005, 08:53 PM
    hermann_giron
    I have an old integrated amp at my weekend place and it sounds as good as many of the newer integrateds I auditioned recently. Try it out and let us know how it sounded.

If it doesnt work well, give EBAY a try, you may find some excellent buys there for a used background sound system.